Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Chirp/Squeak Possibly Related to Clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 10:34 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chirp/Squeak Possibly Related to Clutch?

I searched, but had a hard time putting into search terms what is going on...

When I down shift as I let off the clutch I get this chirp or squeak, it sounds very similar to the sound my leaf springs seem to make after I did an add-a-leaf. Kind of that metal suspension type old bouncy car squeak. It also does the squeak if i am in 1st and let off the gas as this seems to produce a jerk similar to that of down shifting. The only other time it does it is if I am in reverse and let off or on the gas.

The squeak really does not sound like a bad clutch type noise, it is more like a shifting metal on metal chirp.

Any ideas?
Old 05-18-2009, 10:16 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
mine sometimes makes this sound as well... more often than the clutch tho the brake pedal does it EVERY time...

help would be appreciated...
Old 05-19-2009, 11:08 AM
Contributing Member

After reading my post it's pretty obvious that the squeak is occurring when the suspension is jarred so i oiled and put liberal amounts of WD-40 on the leaf springs, hangers and every other suspension part. This seemed to help a lot of the short chirps but there is still a chirp/squeak as i let off of the clutch, it seems to last as long as it takes for me to completely let off the clutch peddle. (this sucks, the transmission and clutch are only 20k miles old.)
Old 05-31-2009, 05:46 PM
Contributing Member

The noise has been isolated...

It is now only in reverse, only when letting off the chutch (as i let off) and I can easly reproduce it all day if i hold the brakes, put it in reverse and slowly let off the clutch as long as I don't let it die. The squeak is specificly as i am moveing my foot off the clutch not if I push in and not if i hold it in one spot also it's only in reverse.

I have a new clutch/transmission with less than 15k miles, but just before this started I was stuck in the snow and useing reverse + clutch heavy to get out, I would say i burned the clutch worse then I have ever before (was actully smoke) is this likely related?
Old 05-31-2009, 09:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
U-joints.....
Old 06-01-2009, 08:23 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Jay351
U-joints.....
Doubt it, if you get down under the truck while somebody holds the break and lets off the clutch in reverse it is clearly comeing from the transmission.

I also kind of heard it the other day in forward gears, but it is REALLY faint. Did I toast my clutch?
Old 06-01-2009, 11:06 AM
Contributing Member

Well in the situation you describe, the item is wearing on the backside that it usually rides on.

I figured it might be u-joint related as last summer I had a u-joint fail like that. It started to chirp when unloading the drivetrain (let off gas abruptly) and in reverse.

Put the truck on stands, put the e-brake on and get somebody to go through the gears.... see if you can pinpoint the source of the noise. Use a long metal rod as a stethescope to isolate the sound....
Old 06-02-2009, 09:28 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Jay351
Well in the situation you describe, the item is wearing on the backside that it usually rides on.

I figured it might be u-joint related as last summer I had a u-joint fail like that. It started to chirp when unloading the drivetrain (let off gas abruptly) and in reverse.
That's a good point, I'll check that out when I get home today.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:13 AM
Contributing Member

Why not right? checking is free
Old 08-29-2010, 07:54 PM

mine is starting to make the same sound you are describing but when put on load as I let the clutch out to accelerate and sometimes when shifting gears only lasts as long as it takes to fully let out the clutch. I am thinking it has to do with the cluth throw out bearing maybe?? more research is going to be required. My friends dad is a auto transmission guy I will take it to him and post my findings in the next week or so if it helps