Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Check My Diagnosis - Fan Bracket/Belt Q

Old 01-10-2010, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check My Diagnosis - Fan Bracket/Belt Q

Greetings,

I was driving late 89 v6 truck day before, and a loud squeeling sound started. I got out and looked, and the alternator was not turning. I was only a couple blocks from home and in a rush to pick the kids up from school so I drove home and switched vehicles.

Inspecting today, I found the belt to the alternator and power steering pump broken (A/C belt is fine). The fan can be turned by hand fine but the double pulley behind that cant be turned at all. I'm guessing this is bad and the source of the belt breakage.

I've been researching most of the afternoon here and from what I can gather this double set of pulleys is not the water pump. Its just a (supposed to be) free turning attachment point that is supposed to take the power from the drive shaft and distribute it north where it can drive the fan (when the fan clutch decides to engage itself) and send power out to the alternator and power steering.

Apparently the bearings in this froze. Things are kind of f'd up in the engine compartment. Last summer the batter bracket came loose and the power steering pump carved a hole in the battery and sprayed acid all over the inside. I didnt discover this for a few days. I'm guessing that was not much good for the bearings.

The truck is an old beater, almost 200k, and sees only 3 or 4k year (back and forth to home depot and the snow) so I'm not interested in spending a bunch of money on it.

Do I have the problem property isolated?

Is this : http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...%26+Drivetrain the right replacement part?

Is this a do-able job for a reasonably competent person that's not very familiar with this kind of work, and doesn't have any specialty tools (just basic wrenches/sockets)?

Money is tight right now so I'm trying to get this done with minimal out of pocket.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes thats the part but I'd get it from Toyota.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:52 AM

From what I've read Toyota wants an arm and a leg for the thing and they make you buy the fan clutch too.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:25 AM

your looking for an aisin fan pulley bracket. aisin being the OEM toyota replacement. i would not recommend going to the deal because they only sell this part with the fan clutch so they want $800 ( no joke ) but i looked on ebay for an aisin bracket and found one for $115
Old 01-11-2010, 08:00 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
If its just a beater truck that goes 4k a year, then buy the cheapest one you can find.

I am usually an advocate for OEM parts, and good quality stuff, but if you just beat on the thing and don't want to spend money, that part is perfect.

I also think Toyota wants far too much for an aluminum bracket with a bearing in it. Usually I think Toyota prices are more than fair, but this is one rare instance where I think someone hit the wrong button when pricing this crap.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:04 AM

I did this fix myself a couple weeks ago, buy the part on line don't pay over $120.
This just takes some time - a lot of bolts to undo. There is a pictorial on the timing belt somewhere on here that helped me a bit. The timing belt tensioner was the only thing that I had to learn about - so drop a note if you need some help - there are some good folks here that will walk you through the fix.
tk