86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Check Engine Light on-Runs Rough, Sputters. No Codes to Read

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check Engine Light on-Runs Rough, Sputters. No Codes to Read

I have a 1992 Toyota Pickup v6 3.0 with no engine mods. It was running fine and then the check engine light came on and it started to run really rough, sputtering and popping. It could barely stay running and I barely got it home at hardly 6mph. Pressing the gas made it worse but if I feathered it I could get the RPMs up a bit. Then the check engine light turned off while driving and it ran like normal, then check engine light came back on and ran badly again. I replaced the MAF sensor and it seemed to solve the problem for a day and then back to the rough running. I also replaced the fuel pump a few weeks ago and still no change. I tried running codes but I get nothing from the check engine light. I start the truck and the light is still on. Turn it off and try running codes and still don’t get a blinking light at all. I am at a loss as to what the next step is. Any thoughts as to why is the check engine light is not blinking when running a diagnostic? Also, ideas on what would cause the check engine light to come on with the symptoms I described? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-31-2016, 07:28 PM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
TE1 connected to E1 in diag port, turn key to ON (not accessory, and not START). You should see a blinking light. If it blinks steady a little more than once/second, there are no codes. Otherwise count the groups of flashes to get the code digits.

If your diag port connection is faulty you'll just get a steady light, same as when you turn the key on before starting normally.
Old 11-06-2016, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok I just got around to Working on it again. I had tried several times to run codes and it wouldn’t give me anything. Tonight it actually worked with 1 blink about a 5 second pause then 4 blinks. Found this odd because code 1 is system is normal and code 4 was the ECT sensor. I replaced the ECT sensor cleared the code and it did not come back on. It still runs rough and smells like rotten eggs now. It idles rough almost like it is miss- firing, it has only what I can explain as a popping sound from the exhaust. When I flash the throttle it shutters and hesitates almost like it is to rich and when the RPMs come back down it has small backfires. No codes and check engine light is currently off. Could this be an o2 sensor without a code?