Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

check engine light / EGR system

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
check engine light / EGR system

Hi guys,

I'm trying to resolve a check engine light.. EGR system (code 71). It turned on after we replaced the valve cover gaskets but I inspected all the vacuum hoses and I *think* they are good. I brought it somewhere cuz I had sort of given up on the issue and they said the "EGR solenoid" was bad. I'm having trouble figuring out what this part is where it is.. checked the FSM and called some part stores. I thought it was going to be easy to replace this part, but I'm not sure what I should do. I looked at some youtube videos and googled around code 71 and people generally have clogged tubes and performance issues, but I don't notice and performance issue.. engine seems to run fine.. So what should I check / do in what order? I don't have a vacuum gauge.. do I need one?

Thanks in advance!

Oops I think I put this in the wrong area.. I have a 95 4runner 3.0
Old 10-12-2015, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by odoyle81
Hi guys,

I'm trying to resolve a check engine light.. EGR system (code 71). It turned on after we replaced the valve cover gaskets but I inspected all the vacuum hoses and I *think* they are good. I brought it somewhere cuz I had sort of given up on the issue and they said the "EGR solenoid" was bad. I'm having trouble figuring out what this part is where it is.. checked the FSM and called some part stores. I thought it was going to be easy to replace this part, but I'm not sure what I should do. I looked at some youtube videos and googled around code 71 and people generally have clogged tubes and performance issues, but I don't notice and performance issue.. engine seems to run fine.. So what should I check / do in what order? I don't have a vacuum gauge.. do I need one?

Thanks in advance!

Oops I think I put this in the wrong area.. I have a 95 4runner 3.0
You're not alone! I've been battling an egr 71 for 8 months... (1993 pickup dlX 4x4 3.slow). I've gone through the vacuum system visually and done an improvised test with compressed air blowing the lines just to see if there is a leak or blockage. All seems to be well. There is a VERY common area I discovered where the lines attach to the TVV sensor also called a bi metal valve in the rear of the engine between the firewall (where human hands can't possibly reach lol) the sensor has plastic nipples that become brittle and break off causing a leak. See pic below. Also the EGR valve itself doesn't usually fail, the modulator does though and isn't too costly. (Do NOT get the Dorman brand one on Amazon). Lastly check for a bad solenoid on the VSV (vacuum switching valve) bolted to the fender rear of the battery. Please note that I am regurgitating information I have found at the dealership and on this great forum and I'm not a master tech.... Just a dude with more time into this crap than you. Good luck.

Last edited by Colington; 10-13-2015 at 05:50 PM.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:00 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
1. What does code 71 MEAN? Yeah, it's got something to do with the EGR system, but what? http://web.archive.org/web/201211190...85diagnosi.pdf (This page gives you the diagnosis steps.)

2. For Colington, the TVV on a 3VZE is for the Evap canister. Nothing to do with EGR (if you had a 22re it would be different). VSV is Vacuum Switching Valve, because, well, that's obvious. But you are correct; there is no "EGR Solenoid." The VSV IS a solenoid of sorts. There IS an EGR Modulator. Failure in either can cause code 71.

Too bad odoyle didn't write down what the mechanic told him . (Or, too bad he didn't go to a better mechanic. I can't say which.)

3. Here's the manual page for the EGR. http://web.archive.org/web/201003261...77exhaustg.pdf Work through the tests.

Good luck!

Last edited by scope103; 10-12-2015 at 07:01 PM.