Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Charchee's 89 Runner Windshield and Rust Repair

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 04:26 PM

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts
Looks awesome! Great looking truck, glad it worked out!
Old 04-24-2017, 05:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you sir! Building me an engine stand now. Getting ready to drop a 5VZ in her. Had to get that leak in the passenger's side resolved before I go putting my new ECM and wiring in that space. My windshield leak already cost me an ECM.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:47 PM

I ran in to one more small issue when putting everything back together but, as luck would have it, I had what I needed to take care of it. When I went to reinstall my cowl I noticed that I had an issue without the trim. The corners were rubbing metal to metal and the middle was being held up by the two white windshield setting guides. You know, the two that are used to set the windshield level during installation. So much so that pine straw and other debris could go through there. They are usually covered by the trim. On the recommendation of the installer, I did not remove them while the glue was still wet. Today, they have become part of the windshield seal.

So, here's what I did. I had bought a roll of door edge protector from O'Reilly's that I was going to use on that metal piece of the dash that comes up right against the windshield from the inside. It was sitting really close and I didn't want it contacting the windshield but it turns out that the extra material was going to actually interfere with the windshield. Just 8 bucks so I figured I'd need it for something else. Anyway, I though about it for the cowl. It took care of the metal to metal in the corners but was even higher in the middle due to the alignment clips. I took a little sanding wheel to the clips and ground them down to a lower, flatter surface and it was just enough. I really like the outcome. Here are some pics. Hope this helps someone down the road.
Attached Thumbnails Charchee's 89 Runner Windshield and Rust Repair-cowell-bumper-1.jpg   Charchee's 89 Runner Windshield and Rust Repair-cowell-bumper-2.jpg   Charchee's 89 Runner Windshield and Rust Repair-cowell-installed-1.jpg   Charchee's 89 Runner Windshield and Rust Repair-cowell-installed-2.jpg  
Old 04-25-2017, 03:13 PM

Yea and I know that's not the right color. You can't buy Light Blue Metallic in rattle cans. That's Avignon Blue Metallic (Honda Color). They are actually really close when comparing new paint to new paint. That hood is just about down to the primer at this point. I plan on painting the whole truck that color at some point. I like the old color but I don't want to paint it a color that I can't get a can of touch up paint for.

I actually did hit the nose of the hood with a few inches of the touch up paint and then kind of faded it back. It actually looks pretty seamless.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:44 AM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
Charchee - very nice! Just to be clear, is there any kind of rubber gasket around your windshield or is it all just the sealer?
Old 05-01-2017, 01:56 AM

Received 331 Likes on 246 Posts
Looking good!