Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Can't get my intake chamber off!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't get my intake chamber off!

1992 4Runner SR5 3.0L V6 3VZE

Hey all. So I'm trying to replace the intake manifold gasket and I've followed every manual/instruction/advice I could find and I can't get the intake chamber off. I can lift everything up but there still seems to be something securing it in the rear-passenger corner (the red circle in the image below). I've removed all of the lines in that corner and all of the other lines and bolts (four long bolts, two short ones, two nuts, pointed-out by the red line in the image).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Can't get my intake chamber off!-oj0cgey.jpg
Old 04-06-2015, 08:12 AM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
I believe their is a short hose for the pcv and pair valve in that back corner, no bolts though.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:19 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
It's the hose to the PAIR valve. About 20mm.

The hose is only about 10cm long, so it will not flex much at all. There should be, but might not be, clamps at each end.

You will find it much easier to remove if you warm up the rubber, making it a little more pliable (this is true for any "rubber" fitting, but particularly large ones like this). I use a heat gun, but a hair dryer would do the trick. If you do use a heat gun, put your hand on the hose while you're warming it. A heat gun can do real damage; if it's too hot to hold your hand there, it's too hot.

PS You were very wise to label all the vacuum lines, but those labels can get pulled off pretty easily. As a backup, I would suggest you get a piece of paper and draw yourself a diagram. Each of the hoses is labeled (something like #4, a # without a number means it's just engine vacuum), but your diagram will show where each end of the hose goes in case you have to replace one (which then will not longer have the mark).

Last edited by scope103; 04-06-2015 at 08:22 AM.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scope103
It's the hose to the PAIR valve. About 20mm.

The hose is only about 10cm long, so it will not flex much at all. There should be, but might not be, clamps at each end.

You will find it much easier to remove if you warm up the rubber, making it a little more pliable (this is true for any "rubber" fitting, but particularly large ones like this). I use a heat gun, but a hair dryer would do the trick. If you do use a heat gun, put your hand on the hose while you're warming it. A heat gun can do real damage; if it's too hot to hold your hand there, it's too hot.

PS You were very wise to label all the vacuum lines, but those labels can get pulled off pretty easily. As a backup, I would suggest you get a piece of paper and draw yourself a diagram. Each of the hoses is labeled (something like #4, a # without a number means it's just engine vacuum), but your diagram will show where each end of the hose goes in case you have to replace one (which then will not longer have the mark).
Thank you so much! I was starring at that piece for a while, wondering if it was connected. I'll try that when I get home.

It makes sense that you say it's stiff and short because it almost felt like a bolt... rear corner is very firmly in place.

I will report my results