86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Can't Find Power Steering Leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 06:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can't Find Power Steering Leak

94 3vze AT 4WD is loosing power steering fluid at an incredible rate (a reservoir full every 20-30 miles). I had made such a mess spilling the fluid all over everything adding so frequently and in low light that it appeared the leak was at the pump. However, after replacing the pump I still have the problem. Used engine cleaner this weekend and cleaned the pump, gearbox, and everything else underneath. Now, I cannot find the source of the leak. I have read on this forum that it could be going into the intake. There is a weird box (that I cannot locate on the FSM) under the PS pump that is connected to the PS pump. What is this box? I notice vacuum lines going from it to the intake manifold. Is this the avenue that the fluid is sometimes pulled into the intake?

Can someone tell me how I can bypass/disconnect these lines to see if the leak stops?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:06 AM

After further reading, the potential culprit appears to be the Air Control Valve. Can this be jumped back to itself to see if that eliminates the leak? Would I also need to connect the two vacuum lines together?

thanks,
Old 11-16-2015, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like your steering Gear Box is shot. I replaced mine 3 years ago with a O'reilys one (master pro) and on 4th of July Weekend of this year, it just started bleeding out the way you are describing.

Regardless on how this sounds, I would take it to a mechanic who works on Toyota's or the dealer to confirm as it is a pain and it will cost some $$$.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Janos01
Sounds like your steering Gear Box is shot. I replaced mine 3 years ago with a O'reilys one (master pro) and on 4th of July Weekend of this year, it just started bleeding out the way you are describing.

Regardless on how this sounds, I would take it to a mechanic who works on Toyota's or the dealer to confirm as it is a pain and it will cost some $$$.
Thanks for you post, but I really think the gear box is fine. If it were leaking there would be visible evidence. I'm using over a pint of ATF in under 40 miles. Also, I've cleaned the engine and undercarriage, driven on the highway to dry, then filled the reservoir and placed over cardboard and ran while turning the wheel back and forth. No fluid leaks visible, but the reservoir is still going down.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My leaf springs and the frame underneath my power steering box is very well greased due to a slow PS leak. IF you do replace the box or any of the seals let me know how it goes.
Old 11-16-2015, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
For a minor leak, I add an ounce or two of power steering fluid to soften the seals back up. It not is going to fix a major leak like that though.
Old 11-16-2015, 11:29 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

If it is being sucked into the engine have you noticed any difference in your exhaust ??

If it is not burning it is mixing with the engine oil have you been checking that level as well??

Those valves have gone bad in the past.

Yes you can plug the vacuum hoses as well as both the nipples on the pump

pulling the hoses off you should see power steering fluid in them if that is the cause of your problem.

If you can`t find the leak most often you have it figured correct
Old 11-17-2015, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
If it is being sucked into the engine have you noticed any difference in your exhaust ??

If it is not burning it is mixing with the engine oil have you been checking that level as well??

Those valves have gone bad in the past.

Yes you can plug the vacuum hoses as well as both the nipples on the pump

pulling the hoses off you should see power steering fluid in them if that is the cause of your problem.

If you can`t find the leak most often you have it figured correct
Thanks Wyoming9. Yes, there is exhaust smoke, especially at startup (and this motor was completely rebuilt less than 4000 miles ago) . I will plug up as you suggested to see if that stops the fluid disappearance. Will only take a few miles to know as fast as it normally disappears. My truck is not at home, it is located 2 hours away at some hunting property so I am trying to get a plan together for next time I go there. I may just go ahead and purchase another valve to take with me (if it is returnable).