Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Can I use a sending unit From a 86 Toyota on my 91 22re?

Old 07-23-2016, 04:54 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Can I use a fuel pump bracket From a 86 Toyota on my 91 22re?

I have been having issues with the EFI blowing for quite some time now,to where taking my 91 Toyota to the Dealer was my last resort. Come to find out the reason for the blowing was due to a Bad fuel pump bracket that was sending too much voltage.The fuel pump bracket, they no longer produce. So it's difficult to find even on EBay. The Toyota dealer said I can use from a 84 to a 92 Toyota fuel pump bracket .Does this sounds correct to anyone. Thanks,

Last edited by Diego toyota; 07-23-2016 at 07:19 PM.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:49 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
I can only hope your wording this wrong !!

As the EFI fuse has nothing to do with the sending unit.

Last I looked you can`t mount the fuel pump and sending unit on the same bracket but strange things do happen

Now I have no idea unless they meant the harness was shorted at the fuel pump bracket .

Them being the dealer more then likely are not really permitted to do anything but install new parts

So your saying all your problems are from a failed gas gauge sending unit ??

If it was me and I really thought I needed a fuel gauge I would get a after market gauge with sending unit and be done

When sending units fail it is most often because the sending unit is open no voltage
Old 07-23-2016, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
I can only hope your wording this wrong !!

As the EFI fuse has nothing to do with the sending unit.

Last I looked you can`t mount the fuel pump and sending unit on the same bracket but strange things do happen

Now I have no idea unless they meant the harness was shorted at the fuel pump bracket .

Them being the dealer more then likely are not really permitted to do anything but install new parts

So your saying all your problems are from a failed gas gauge sending unit ??

If it was me and I really thought I needed a fuel gauge I would get a after market gauge with sending unit and be done

When sending units fail it is most often because the sending unit is open no voltage
Yes, I must of misunderstood what the mechanics at the dealership said.it is not the fuel gauge. It is the fuel pump bracket, which goes in the gas tank. No auto stores carries the fuel pump bracket.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:54 PM

Just what is wrong ??

The fuel pump bracket just rusted to pieces so the pump just bounces around ??

The electrical connection is quite simple the positive wire goes through a insulated connection

The ground grounds through the metal of the bracket with a rivet on the top where it joins with the positive to the harness connector

A quick trip to the hardware store something could be configured to make this work

If the top of the brackets are both the same and the length are the same with the same size fuel tank any in that range should work.

Now did they just specify Pick up ??

Off the Top of my head 2 or 3 different size tanks I think .
Old 07-23-2016, 06:52 PM

Just what is wrong ??

The fuel pump bracket just rusted to pieces so the pump just bounces around ??

The electrical connection is quite simple the positive wire goes through a insulated connection

The ground grounds through the metal of the bracket with a rivet on the top where it joins with the positive to the harness connector

A quick trip to the hardware store something could be configured to make this work

If the top of the brackets are both the same and the length are the same with the same size fuel tank any in that range should work.

Now did they just specify Pick up ??

Off the Top of my head 2 or 3 different size tanks I think .
Sorry I took long to respond, this is the story.
I took my 91 Toyota to the Dealership because my EFI fuse continued to blow and I couldn't figured it out.They found the problem, which is the fuel pump bracket or ,the positive wire which is color coded blue an has that clear insulated connection. Apparently that clear plastic, the insolated connection is pulling too much currant which is causing the fuse to blow.
The Toyota dealer was charging me $260 for the fuel pump bracket, until I was told they couldn't find it, So I had to find my own.
I found a fuel pump bracket off an 86 Toyota, an was wondering if that would work.
That insulated connection, " blue wire", if that part is not sending the correct currant, what can I do? Can I replace that clear circular insulated wiring? Thanks for your help.

Last edited by Diego toyota; 07-23-2016 at 07:23 PM.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:20 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
According to this dealer:
http://parts.lakelandtoyota.com/show...rimLevel=18381

no, the part you want (23206-35270) fits '91-'95.

The drawing shows that the wiring is "built-in" to the bracket. If there is a short through the fitting on the top, it is not obvious to me how one could fix that. If Lakeland has it, I'd spring for the $150 (you need to verify the part number with them; it's different depending on long/short bed).

Last edited by scope103; 07-23-2016 at 07:22 PM.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by scope103
According to this dealer:
http://parts.lakelandtoyota.com/show...rimLevel=18381

no, the part you want (23206-35270) fits '91-'95.

The drawing shows that the wiring is "built-in" to the bracket. If there is a short through the fitting on the top, it is not obvious to me how one could fix that. If Lakeland has it, I'd spring for the $150 (you need to verify the part number with them; it's different depending on long/short bed).
Thanks,I'll give them a call. I don't know why the dealer told me I can use between 86-to yr 92?
Old 07-24-2016, 02:24 AM

It is quite a simple fix to repair that !! OK maybe it is for me as I have done this type work for 40 plus years .

What you need to do is run a wire through a piece of metal protecting it from shorting and the gas from leaking .

I have a new fuel pump bracket here to look at do you need pictures to look at .

We told you all along you had a short some place turns out it is where the wire goes through the fuel pump bracket

If you going to replace this Fuel pump bracket I will be glad to buy it !!

Being your on the other side of the country offering to fix it would just take to long shipping back and forth

This is Fuel Pump bracket # 23206-35101

The picture on the left the positive wire is on the left on the right side picture the brass piece is the attachment for the positive wire

Like I said not a major project to run a insulated fuel proof connection through the bracket I would bet with some searching a product like this is ready made .
Attached Thumbnails Can I use a sending unit From a 86 Toyota on my 91 22re?-002.jpg   Can I use a sending unit From a 86 Toyota on my 91 22re?-003.jpg  

Last edited by wyoming9; 07-24-2016 at 02:29 AM.
Old 07-24-2016, 05:04 AM

It is quite a simple fix to repair that !! OK maybe it is for me as I have done this type work for 40 plus years .

What you need to do is run a wire through a piece of metal protecting it from shorting and the gas from leaking .

I have a new fuel pump bracket here to look at do you need pictures to look at .

We told you all along you had a short some place turns out it is where the wire goes through the fuel pump bracket

If you going to replace this Fuel pump bracket I will be glad to buy it !!

Being your on the other side of the country offering to fix it would just take to long shipping back and forth

The picture on the left the positive wire is on the left on the right side picture the brass piece is the attachment for the positive wire

Like I said not a major project to run a insulated fuel proof connection through the bracket I would bet with some searching a product like this is ready made .
Thanks for the info. I am so tired right now, don't know which way to start.
Making that insulated fuel connection, you make it sound easy. I don't know who would do work like that. The part # the dealership told me was 23206 35040. Anyone has an alternative idea? Thanks to all who has guided me through this little long process of finding the " blowing of the Efi fuse"
Old 07-24-2016, 06:29 AM

Toyota is good for changing the part numbers of the same part between different years
Old 07-24-2016, 08:02 AM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts

Didn't Apollo 13 have an electrical short in an Oxygen tank? Gee, if NASA has trouble getting it right, I'd want to be pretty sure I had the right parts before I mixed electrical shorts with gasoline. And while I am big on repairing-rather-than-replacing, this is a part I might want to replace.

But what part? Here's the part of which Wyoming9 graciously provided a picture: http://parts.lakelandtoyota.com/show...ssembly=485145 Follow the link, look up "fitment," and you can see it fits a whole bunch of vehicles in the 1986-1992 range.

But that page also gives SEVEN different part numbers for a fuel pump bracket! How do you tell which one you need? It depends on which model 4Runner you had. 3VZE and 22re are easy, but what's a RN101? This page http://www.toyotareference.com/truck provides some detail (and RN101 is a short-box 4wd 22re).

Whew! Too much? For $150 I'd like to be sure I ordered the right part. That's why you want to treat the Counter-man (Counter-woman) very nicely. They have practice working their way through the Electronic Parts catalog, and they know how Toyota (as Wyoming9 points out) substitutes part numbers. You don't need to bring him a cup of coffee (though, now that I think about it, it might not hurt). Instead, print out a copy of the drawing showing the part you want, and WRITE YOUR VIN on the drawing. The VIN makes all the difference in the world; don't forget it.

For what it's worth, 23206 35040 doesn't show up on Lakeland's site as a valid part number (use the search box). That's why you need the help of a good counter-man.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:22 AM

Sounds like you have issues with things catching on fire !!

We all have things that scare us .with me it is Geese

Working with fuel gas and welding out of position I am always on fire .

Just another part of doing the work.

I only ever burnt down one house and a two car attached garage and I was not even trying