Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Can I do this with my 3.slo?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I do this with my 3.slo?

I have a couple questions.

1. Along with disconnecting the vacuum on to the EGR valve, I was told I can do the same with the PCV valve. I was looking on the web about the PCV valve, and it would seem as thought the seals on my truck would not be strong enough for the oil since it has the PCV valve. Am I understanding this right? Will I damage something from disabling the PCV valve?

2. I know the cat creates required back-pressure for the engine (and for the O2 sensor to pick up a proper reading), but does the same go for the muffler? In the video below, you hear a sweet sounding 3.0 that has a cat, but no muffler. I thought that would be fine with the engine because I thought back-pressure only had to do with the cat. But today, a friend told me that the muffler also adds some required back-pressure. What to believe? With the EGR and PCV valves by-passed, will there be an effect of having no muffler?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XwouXjcmr8[/youtube]
Old 07-19-2010, 05:24 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
you're in california, there isn't much to do with the exhaust. I passed smog this year. and i have DT headers, stock cat, borla muffler and a tail pipe... all 2.25 piping.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the owner of that particular truck, is a member of this board..search and you'll find him..maybe check the post your pics thread..idk?

i used to think that a sound like that was NICE, until i heard Mak's 4runner...
Old 07-19-2010, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by MaK92-4RnR
you're in california, there isn't much to do with the exhaust. I passed smog this year. and i have DT headers, stock cat, borla muffler and a tail pipe... all 2.25 piping.
haha mak. thats why when i go for smog, i just reconnect the vacuums for the test

Originally Posted by camo31"10.50"
the owner of that particular truck, is a member of this board..search and you'll find him..maybe check the post your pics thread..idk?

i used to think that a sound like that was NICE, until i heard Mak's 4runner...
maks runner sounds purdy, no doubt. but they are two different sounds. and i'll just send the guy a msg on youtube rather than look and look and look. or maybe he will see this, who knows.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:30 PM

i believe the member is jay351.

by the way camo... its back to being straight piped again
Old 07-19-2010, 05:37 PM

i've never heard it straight piped..i'm gonna make my way on over to your exhaust thread now..lmao
Old 07-19-2010, 05:42 PM

well its not straight piped... it has a muffler still... everyones heard it that way.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:42 PM

Being from/in California you will have to deal with the smog laws. The smog laws are getting tougher every year for the past 20 years! The 3.0 are dogs. I would not thing about disconnecting the PCV valve. That helps keep the inside of the engine clean. If you discount the EGR hose it with trip the "Check Engine" light on your dash. Keep things simple like air intake and cat back exhaust so if change back to stock if required for smog. Don't even think about changing cams or any internal stuff because that getr real expensive when you fail a smog test.

My best recommendtion would be, Make Sure Your YOTA is Geared Correctly! If you put on larger tires it take away alot of power. Sorta the "Rule of Thumb" is 4:88 gears for up to 33" tires and 5:29 with 33" or larger. Gear it right and you will be happier
Old 07-19-2010, 06:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PCV has nothing to do with your exhaust back pressure.
EGR = Exhaust Gas Recirculation. You do not gain ANY horsepower by removing a properly functioning EGR. In fact, you get hotter cylinder temps (If I recall correctly, the 3.0s have a vaccuum advance or some sort of system, so with hotter cylinder temps, your timing will back off, leaving you with LESS power)
PCV = Positive Crankcase Ventilation. There is absolutely no reason to remove this. It would be foolish too. It vents positive crankcase pressure (due to combustion gasses leaking by the rings) if you pulled the PCV, your crankcase would be under abnormal pressure, and I wouldnt be too suprised if you began blowing out seals (front crank and rear main possibly....)
Old 07-19-2010, 06:50 PM

^^ what he said.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:19 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
A PCV system that is working poorly (or not at all) will permit a rapid buildup of sludge, water, and acids that will shorten the service life of the engine.

The PCV system MUST be kept CLEAN. Rough idle, poor mileage, and rapid engine wear will result when the system is inoperative.
So, yeah, DON'T do that!

If you want my full opinion on the EGR removal, search my posts for the keyword EGR.

I'm one of YT's strongest proponents for EGR removal. I refuse to argue with the kiddies on that subject anymore, however. Trust me on this though, I can give you lots of evidence(including a dyno chart) that definetively proves the benefits of removing the EGR from an engine.

https://www.yotatech.com/51381849-post36.html
Originally Posted by yotaman85
hmm. higher numbers after removing the EGR.

Originally Posted by yotaman85
the difference is obvious, not to mention lower EGT's

Wanna hear my 88 3VZE with no muffler and a 1/2 hollowed cat?

Last edited by MudHippy; 07-26-2010 at 03:06 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:06 PM

How can something that is inoperative under WOT effect performance in a negative manner?
Old 07-27-2010, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by rusche
How can something that is inoperative under WOT effect performance in a negative manner?
Indirectly. How's that? Let me explain...

When the ECM determines an inhibit condition(such as WOT), it de-energizes the VSV, blocking the the vacuum signal to the EGR valve and opening the valve diaphram to an "atmospheric bleed"(clever term for what could be refered to as a small vacuum leak!).

When you delete/remove/disable the EGR valve you also plug that "atmospheric bleed"/vacuum leak through the vsv. Which may improve engine performance by increasing the intake plenum/manifold vacuum pressure. Even at WOT(though there's probably not a huge effect on WOT performance due to the increased volume of air flow relative to the small loss of vacuum). The same could also be gained from plugging the PAIR vacuum to it's vsv. Though not a good reason on it's own to do either.

However, more importantly, removing the actual EGR valve from the intake will keep it cooler. Cooler air helps performance. Also, removing the tube that channels the exhaust gasses from the valve to the plenum chamber will increase the effective PC volume somewhat(a good thing) and allow air flow to be unobstructed by it(and it has to be obstructive to some degree shoved in there a good 6", dead-center of the PC). All of which could, potentially, produce a noticeable effect during WOT.

What's really to be gained, performance wise, is obviously not going to be during times which would have low/no EGR flow anyway. So unless we're drag racing(or better yet, mudbogging or doing a steep slick hillclimb)...who cares about WOT?! It surely ain't gonna hurt(too much) one way or the other at WOT, right? So why not ditch it anyway? Get better performance everywhere but WOT, idle, engine warm-up; and keep the same/similar performance(though not likely IMO) at WOT/idle/warm-up. Wouldn't that be better performance for most, if not all, of the time(for most of us), after all?

Last edited by MudHippy; 07-27-2010 at 06:06 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:40 PM
Contributing Member

I must be getting old because I think both of those truck sound like absolute garbage. I can't imagine what that sounds like going down the freeway. I feel sorry for everyone that lives on your street. That's worse than a Ricer with a fart can. You guys are wasting your time messing with all this stuff. Do the ISR Mod and put some gears in it. If you want more power get something else.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by UKMyers
I must be getting old because I think both of those truck sound like absolute garbage. I can't imagine what that sounds like going down the freeway. I feel sorry for everyone that lives on your street. That's worse than a Ricer with a fart can. You guys are wasting your time messing with all this stuff. Do the ISR Mod and put some gears in it. If you want more power get something else.
agreed...

I can't stand the sound of a motor with simply NO muffler on it... sounds super trashy in my opinion... not only does it annoy everyone, but I'm pretty sure it's illegal in all 50 states to have NO muffler at all...
Old 07-27-2010, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by UKMyers
Do the ISR Mod and put some gears in it.
I have done the ISR Mod since then, that vid was from awhile back. And I had 4.10's, now 4.30's. Both helped.

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
agreed...

I can't stand the sound of a motor with simply NO muffler on it... sounds super trashy in my opinion... not only does it annoy everyone, but I'm pretty sure it's illegal in all 50 states to have NO muffler at all...
To each his own...

I've had a cop pull me over once for it. He let me off, told me I "should think about getting a new muffler". I told him I think it might actually be my cat. I did not mention the fact that it has no muffler, for obvious reasons.

It's also unacceptable to run with no muffler, or with one that's overly loud(db's), in most(if not all) OHV areas.
So WATCH OUT!
And don't say I didn't warn ya!
Me? I'll take my chances, as always!

Last edited by MudHippy; 07-27-2010 at 05:49 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:40 PM

You might be correct about the EGR. Althought I wasnt sure if the 3.0 has a VSV valve.
Either way my concern is hotter cylinder temps, for a completely un-noticeable possible gain in power. EGR cools your cylinders. Pinging is bad juju.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:46 PM

You might be correct about the EGR. Althought I wasnt sure if the 3.0 has a VSV valve.
Either way my concern is hotter cylinder temps, for a completely un-noticeable possible gain in power. EGR cools your cylinders. Pinging is bad juju.
My EGR vacuum has been disconnect for months. Even on the hottest of days, my temp needle doesnt even get close to half.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:50 PM

Not necessarily concered about your cooling systems temperature, but the temps of your cylinder walls themselves. The needle isnt quite sensitive enough for that. The difference between pinging and not can just be a few degrees. I just dont personally like the idea, I see it as pointless.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:25 PM

Not necessarily concered about your cooling systems temperature, but the temps of your cylinder walls themselves. The needle isnt quite sensitive enough for that. The difference between pinging and not can just be a few degrees. I just dont personally like the idea, I see it as pointless.
That's a valid point. I can't provide any solid data that supports it being worthy of concern, or not, though.

However, I haven't heard of any engine failures that were conclusively linked to a malfunctioning/inoperative EGR system. Engines got by without them 'till the 70's, and many newer vehicles don't have them from the factory...so....
In the past, a fair number of car owners disconnected their EGR systems in an attempt for better performance and some still do. The belief is either EGR reduces power output, causes a build-up in the intake manifold, and/or belief that the environmental impact of EGR from the increasing of gross exhaust emissions due to lower fuel efficiency(less gas burned=less harmful exhaust gas emitted)plus increasing the emissions of other harmful gasses, outweighs the Nitrous Oxide emission reductions. Because deleting the EGR system results in only increased NOx levels, while hydrocarbon emissions, particulates, carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide levels in the exhaust are drastically reduced. Disconnecting an EGR system is usually as simple as unplugging an electrically operated valve or inserting a ball bearing into the vacuum line in a vacuum-operated EGR valve. In most modern engines, disabling the EGR system will cause the computer to display a check engine light. In most cases, a disabled EGR system will cause the car to fail an emissions test.

Last edited by MudHippy; 07-28-2010 at 09:42 AM.

Quick Reply: Can I do this with my 3.slo?