Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cam Shaft Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 10:35 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Cam Shaft Questions

Well I have been having some running issues ever since I bought the truck and have pretty much gone through every test and procedure in trying to get the truck to run smooth, but am still unable to get it "perfect" in my mind.

The PO told me he had put an "oversized" cam shaft with the new head and valves. At the time, I didn't really think much of it, and didn't really care...

Now I'm sort of thinking it might have a direct influence in the erratic idle I am getting. My power is OK up high, but down low I swear I can barely get into the next gear without bogging. Once I hit about 3000 rpm the thing takes off, and runs great.

My questions are this:
1) For CA or street legal cams, would they be different from stock enough to cause an erratic idle?
2) Are there any stamps on the cam that I could read to figure out what the lift is, and who the manufacturer is?
3) Am I able to just swap in a stock sized cam without swapping valves/springs etc? (looking at 22re.com and lcengineering.com).
4) Would it explain why I am getting a "better" or "cleaner" idle when the ECU is not getting info from the O2 sensor, TPS, AFM? (open loop).

Here's a list of things I've done for those who may have not clicked on my previous 50 threads!!!

Replaced: O2 sensor with Denso, TPS (adjusted), PCV valve w/ grommet, plugs, cap, rotor, wires.
Tested: ECT, AFM, cleaned throttle body, IACV, Intake plenum, replaced all gaskets, intake tube.
Adjusted: Valves, timing
I think I've done a lot more but I can't remember everything

Thanks again for your help.