86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

a/c works intermittently and for a variable amount of time

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 01:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a/c works intermittently and for a variable amount of time

Now that summer is rolling around, my car's weird a/c is starting to become a pain!
Here is what I know: I've recharged the system recently, the light comes on, the engine idles higher, the condenser fan spins and the grille is unblocked.
However, the A/C works intermittently, and when it does, it varies from 5 minutes to a 30 minute ride. Now, my car is BLACK on the outside and BLACK on the inside, so I've starting just keeping a spare bar of deodorant in the car, but I'm tired of reapplying!
I've read around checking out the relay, but I'm not sure how that could be an intermittent failure.
Also, I don't think mine has the engine temp cutoff sensor since mine's a 4WD manual, and purportedly they come on 4WD autos only. What else should I check?
I've noticed that its not likely to work as well on a hot day, and that sometimes restarting the car fixes it for a bit, but then it just exerts the same symptoms. Has anyone else had this issue?
I will say, when it works, its ice cold, colder than any other vehicle I've been in.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:22 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Could be over-charged, and icing the evaporator.

I assume the fan still runs, it just stops being cold. When that happens, park, pop the hood, and check to see if the compressor is running.

As for charge, ditch that "A/C in a can" you got at Wally-Mart, and get some actual gauges. http://www.harborfreight.com/ac-r134...set-60806.html To check the state of charge even approximately you need to measure the temperature at a few points, but it's not Rocket Surgery. Here's all I know about A/C:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...-r134a-284801/
Old 04-05-2017, 06:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scope103
Could be over-charged, and icing the evaporator.

I assume the fan still runs, it just stops being cold. When that happens, park, pop the hood, and check to see if the compressor is running.

As for charge, ditch that "A/C in a can" you got at Wally-Mart, and get some actual gauges. http://www.harborfreight.com/ac-r134...set-60806.html To check the state of charge even approximately you need to measure the temperature at a few points, but it's not Rocket Surgery. Here's all I know about A/C:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...-r134a-284801/
Would that be the expansion valve then?

I do have a set of gauges (and a box of R12, but mine was already converted to r134a), I'll check and re-measure with someone who knows more.

Thank you for your guide! It was extremely informative.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

In mi case after rebuilding the motor the A/C did not work at first an than out off the blue it stored to work, it did so for a wile about 2 moths or so, than it wood com on and off intermittently tell now the cloche on the compressor will not engage, works fine when i apply direct power to it and blows cold !! check the cut off relay it dos not check good when i did the test that the Toyota manual calls for so i bout another one, how ever its doing the same thing the cloche will not engage and the relay dos not pass the test, how ever when i punched the wire #3 of the relay to test for + the relay kicked in an so did the compressor it also works good when i jump the plug 1 to 3 and 2 to 4 off the cutoff relay.Any ideas???