86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

A/C compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/C compatibility

My truck is a 1993 base model. I've been adding a bunch of options as I find them but I'm stumped on the a/c system. I've read that a 4 runner ac won't swap into a pickup, although the dash and interior is mostly the same. Can anyone clarify this? Is it physical size that is the problem? Can it be made to fit? 4runners here are all over the place and trucks are few and far between. I want this in before summer.

Thanks.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:40 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Appears to be the same part number.

Truck
4runner

The 22re and 3vze differ in both bracket type and hose mountings. one has hoses on the front the other has hoses on the side.

I only looked at compressors...
Old 01-24-2013, 06:26 PM

When the 4 runner got the face lift in 91-92 and switched to modular headlamps from the sealed beams the a/c condenser also gained a fan because the a/c has to work harder to cool more space, and the new updated front end had the clearance for it. You don't need the fan, and it will also not fit on the truck.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:29 PM

So I assume since the 89-90 units didn't have the fan then one of them should swap in without issue?
Old 01-24-2013, 06:48 PM

Yes, it would. But you can just take the fan off. I have done the same swap you are talking about. But on a 22re.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm in the process of getting all the a/c parts together for my truck but it's really tough to find for the 22RE. Goal it to have it in this summer too.

One big item on your shopping list will be the cooling unit (houses the evaporator and a/c control amplifier). This mounts in behind the glove box in the place of a "dummy" section of ducting. I have found (at least on 2nd gen 4Runners) that there are at least 2 different configurations for the cooling unit. I suggest you check out http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/ enter your VIN then navigate the parts to section 4 "electrical", then "87-14: HEATING & AIR CONDITIONING - COOLER UNIT". Get the part number for the "UNIT ASSY, COOLER" and you can do a cross-reference to see what other vehicles use that part (http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/xref). I ended up buying a cooling unit from a 1990 on a whim and it's not matching up to my wiring harness on the truck.

Another thing you don't want to miss is the VSV (vacuum switching valve) "idle-up" system (basically a vacuum switch, diaphragm actuator and vacuum tubing) that the amplifier controls to increase your idle speed when the a/c compressor kicks in.

I'm still trying to figure out all the details myself but I hope this helps a little.

Last edited by PhilippeW; 01-29-2013 at 10:41 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by PhilippeW
One big item on your shopping list will be the cooling unit (houses the evaporator and a/c control amplifier). This mounts in behind the glove box in the place of a "dummy" section of ducting. I have found (at least on 2nd gen 4Runners) that there are at least 2 different configurations for the cooling unit. I suggest you check out http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/ enter your VIN then navigate the parts to section 4 "electrical", then "87-14: HEATING & AIR CONDITIONING - COOLER UNIT". Get the part number for the "UNIT ASSY, COOLER" and you can do a cross-reference to see what other vehicles use that part (http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/xref). I ended up buying a cooling unit from a 1990 on a whim and it's not matching up to my wiring harness on the truck.

Another thing you don't want to miss is the VSV (vacuum switching valve) "idle-up" system (basically a vacuum switch, diaphragm actuator and vacuum tubing) that the amplifier controls to increase your idle speed when the a/c compressor kicks in
Yes, you are correct that not all of the connections are the same, and if you don't have the right amplifier controls for you model of vehicle some of those things will not function, such as ac idle-up and when the a/c kicks up and down. There are many variations in Toyota a/c systems. Some were installed at the factory and some were installed at the dealer. In the 89-95 systems they added low pressure sensors and a true a/c idle up system previous years do not have this. But you don't need those for it to work properly and blow cold air. And the amplifier control on top the evaporator core does not control the a/c idle speed. It controls at what RPM speed the clutch on your pump engages. If it is set for 1,200rpm, when you sit at a stop light idling at 800rpm the a/c pump will turn off.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
And the amplifier control on top the evaporator core does not control the a/c
idle speed. It controls at what RPM speed the clutch on your pump engages. If it
is set for 1,200rpm, when you sit at a stop light idling at 800rpm the a/c pump
will turn off.
Thanks for the correction. Now that I think about it, the idle-up adjustment is on the VSV idle-up actuator on the intake manifold (screw adjust). Doesn't make much sense to have 2 idle-up adjustments. Good to know when it comes time for me to set up the a/c.