Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Buzzing at bell housing in an 86.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 09:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Buzzing at bell housing in an 86.

I have a 1986 4runner, automatic with the 22re. It is making a buzzing sound that sounds like it is coming from the front of the bell housing. Though, it could be coming from the tranny pan. I put my ear to it while it's running and I can hear it pretty clearly. It does it in park, Neutral and all gears. I can't truthfully tell you it is coming from the trans, just that it sounds like it is. I don't know if accelerating affects it because my headers drown it out while I can driving/throttling.

It's definitely a buzz-like sound. reminiscent to a heat shield or inspection plate cover vibrating on metal (no it's not, I checked ).

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 11-20-2015, 10:15 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

A very mad rattle snake on top of your transmission !!!
Old 11-20-2015, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
A very mad rattle snake on top of your transmission !!!
I thought of that. It didn't bite me though. To clarify also, I have youtubed some whining sounds that would indicate the pump and it defintiely doesn't sound "whiney".

Is there possibility a possibility that it is JUST something like a rattling inspection plate. It seems pretty solid overall. I've never driven an old 4runner auto to compare to , but it doesn't "feel" like it has trans issues... It clunks sometimes going into reverse for the first time in the morning. I'm changing the internal oil filter and trans fluid today. It's full, but it's defnitely not bright red.

It did sit for a while before the guy I bought it from started it up about 6 months ago. Maybe it's just gunky fluids?

I'm at a loss for ideas other than the catastrophic failure paranoia that I can't really afford monetarily.
Old 11-20-2015, 01:18 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

A friend of mine had a rattle that just about drove him around the bend .

Turns out some of the inside welds on the muffler broke loose no way to see it vibrate .

A muffler clamp loose some place ??

Checked the shields on the converter??
Old 11-21-2015, 02:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This guy has a whining sound as well.

[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]
Old 11-21-2015, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
A friend of mine had a rattle that just about drove him around the bend .

Turns out some of the inside welds on the muffler broke loose no way to see it vibrate .

A muffler clamp loose some place ??

Checked the shields on the converter??
I've searched around. I'll tear through it again tomorrow and triple check things.

I changed the trans oil filter and the fluid looked fine. The fluid was dark, but not burnt smelling. Just not fresh. The old filter had some grit in it, to be expected. No sludge and no signs of metal shavings. No magnets in the pan, which I though was weird, but no obvious signs of damage anywhere either. No telling when the last time was that ti was changed.

Judging by the old gasket appearance on the pan, it had A WHILE. Although, the dry desert heat has a tendency to destroy stuff and speed of the aging process of that sort of thing.