86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Buzzer relay bypass for domelight?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buzzer relay bypass for domelight?

Hi guys, so I've been searching all over Yotatech and can't seem to find an answer to this question. I have an 88 pickup 4cyc, 4wd, m/t, and I noticed that my dome light doesn't light up when my driver door is open (but the buzzer works when the door is open), but the passenger side lights up. What I am trying to figure out is, is there a way to bypass the relay to get the driver side to work? I'm not talking about disabling the buzzer noise or disconnecting the seat belt sensor, I'm talking about removing the relay as a whole and jumping wires on the connector to get the driver side to work again? Thanks for the inputs and help!
Old 10-06-2016, 11:30 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
The thing is the light operates by grounding when the door switch closes .

There are diodes in the relay will you be installing diodes in your by passing of the relay??

Open circuit between the dome light and and the left door switch jumping things will only fix this if you have also found the open circuit

Thinking about this more if the relay is defective the only way to make this work is to replace the relay or remove it completely getting rid of the buzzer

Last edited by wyoming9; 10-06-2016 at 11:39 PM.
Old 10-07-2016, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wyoming9
The thing is the light operates by grounding when the door switch closes .

There are diodes in the relay will you be installing diodes in your by passing of the relay??

Open circuit between the dome light and and the left door switch jumping things will only fix this if you have also found the open circuit

Thinking about this more if the relay is defective the only way to make this work is to replace the relay or remove it completely getting rid of the buzzer
Well, in that case... do you happen to know if the dome light circuit and door switch run on different circuits? Cause its weird to me that the buzzer buzzes when the driver door is open, but the dome light doesn't come on. Thanks for your input!

ps- If you have a wiring diagram, please post, that would be extremely helpful.
Old 10-07-2016, 07:03 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
I think you just have wiring issue. I'd rather help you fix/restore your circuit to stock than help you butcher your wiring

(Pardon the capital letters; copied and pasted from my photo edit)
FIND “B”
“B” SHOULD HAVE CONTINUITY TO GROUND WHEN PASSENGER DOOR IS OPENED. WHEN PASNGR DOOR IS OPENED, METER CONNECTED AS SHOWN WILL READ 12V.
IT SHOULD ALSO GIVE YOU 12V WHEN DRIVER DOOR IS OPENED. IF NOT, TRACE WIRE AND DIODE BETWEEN “B” AND PIN 1 OF DRIVER SIDE (LH) DOOR SWITCH .

Let us know what you find out.

Name:  Dome_Light_Circuit_zpsyhedr5bj.png
Views: 435
Size:  209.5 KB

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 10-10-2016 at 04:43 PM.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:55 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I recently fixed a similar problem, but the buzzer did not respond to seat belts or an open ds door. I assumed that there was a bypass or some such to get rid of the buzzer. My buzzer checked out. I then looked at the switch. It was filthy. I cleaned it and the buzzer came back, but the dome light was less bright than when the ps door was opened or both doors opened. I'm guessing this is a poor ground. I removed the switch again and REALLY cleaned it. I chased nut the door switch is in with steel wool. Everything is much better. This may not work for you, but it is a simple thing to try.

The good news is I still don't have the seat belt buzzer, but I do get the buzzer if I leave the keys in. I would like a warning buzzer if I leave the headlights on and RAD4Runner has pointed me toward a solution for that.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:20 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by GeoRoss
....The good news is I still don't have the seat belt buzzer, but I do get the buzzer if I leave the keys in. I would like a warning buzzer if I leave the headlights on and RAD4Runner has pointed me toward a solution for that.
The seat belt buckle switch could have been cut or disconnected - like I did mine because I don't need a reminder to put seatbelt on.

From Geoross' build thread...
Originally Posted by 86 87 4Runners
Just curious but whats does the manufacture month say inside the door jam?
Originally Posted by GeoRoss
November, 1985
It's a 1986, 22RE - Manual... dlx? So like mine you probably don't have the light reminder relay.

And made in Nov 1985... So I'm guessing it does not have a starter relay?
Old 10-12-2016, 07:15 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
The seat belt buckle switch could have been cut or disconnected - like I did mine because I don't need a reminder to put seatbelt on.

From Geoross' build thread...

It's a 1986, 22RE - Manual... dlx? So like mine you probably don't have the light reminder relay.

And made in Nov 1985... So I'm guessing it does not have a starter relay?
Yep, manual 22RE DLX. I'll download some later model EWD's to see how they are wired in and see what I can do with the light reminder. It isn't that I am spacey, but I have been know to lock my keys in the car and leave the headlights on too frequently to not have a reminder. I haven't looked for the starter relay, but my guess is it isn't there. I am aware of the problem and fix, just haven't gotten around to doing something about it. DOH! Since I'm not driving the 4Runner until I replace the clutch (suspected bad throwout bearing or pilot bearing) and brakes (just pads hopefully) I may as well tackle the starter relay as well. The high of getting the SR5 gauge cluster swap with all the gauges working (except low fuel level) and dome light resolved has been short lived.