Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Busted Side Mirror (just one)

Old 03-30-2009, 03:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Busted Side Mirror (just one)

Somebody must not like my truck cause look what I was greeted with this morning...

these pictures were taken in the afternoon after I got home from work; it would have been kinda hard to get pictures at 6:20am cause there's not a whole lotta light out at that time

I park on the curb in front of my house (or rather I use to now ), and apparently either someone got WAY to far over and managed to just hit only my mirror, which I think that someone would have to really being hauling some ass to angle the mirror forward like it did AND shatter out all the glass, all while breaking the tip of the mirror off, or someone took a swing at my mirror with something perposely trying to break it...

and the only thing that makes me think it might be intentional is that fact that less than a week ago, last Thursday night, someone egged my truck while it was parked in the same spot...

eggs you know whatever, it washes off... still pissed my off, but it's harmless really... but let me find out someone is BREAKING things on my truck...

So I have a friend in the neighborhood that's a cop, and I gave him a call while he was on duty, and he stopped by, and I got a case number, so if any of this crap happens again, and the person's cought, it's only going to get worse for them

but in the famous words of Gold Member from Austin Powers...

I got them almost 2 years ago, not long after I got the truck. I was working at Advance Auto Parts then, and for some unknown reason they dicontinued a bunch of mirrors they kept in stock, and it just so happens that the direct replacements for my truck were on that list, so I got them for $10 each brand new I thought I'd break them off against a tree or something on a trail one day, lol

and just cause they were new, I put em both on

So if someone did it on perpose, I hope they're pissed when they see a brand new mirror on it already, lol!

While I was in the mood, and dug around in the garage and found a nifty little thing I completely forgot about untill today...

something else to clutter up the already nasty engine compartment

Is it loud? Does it work?

well, come break a mirror off my truck and see

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 03-30-2009 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Title clarity
Old 03-30-2009, 03:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
muahahaha kick ass, sucks some 1 broke ur mirror but its cool you got 2 new replacements anyway, and got to put on an alarm
Old 03-30-2009, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hahah is that a mirror alarm?
Old 03-30-2009, 04:01 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by d71889b
hahah is that a mirror alarm?
lol

yep

it only goes off when someone messes with my mirrors

Originally Posted by yoterr
muahahaha kick ass, sucks some 1 broke ur mirror but its cool you got 2 new replacements anyway, and got to put on an alarm
yeah I've had the alarm kick'n around for a long while, and have been meaning to drag it out and install it, I just never really felt a big need to... but I guess now's a good time

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 03-30-2009 at 04:02 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:07 PM

that is one reason i do not park on the street, and never will
also why i could not live in a crouded city that you have to park on the street
Old 03-30-2009, 04:12 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by littlecommando
that is one reason i do not park on the street, and never will
also why i could not live in a crouded city that you have to park on the street
yeah, I didn't like the idea to begin with.

I'm living with my sister and her fiance temporarily untill I get an apartment or a condo or something, and I just figured I'd park out by the street and out of the way so that they could have their driveway...

well they have to make room now, cause I'm not parking out by the street any more... ever again...
Old 03-30-2009, 04:24 PM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
Dude that is some B S ! !

Glad that you had some insta-replacements!!!!
Old 03-30-2009, 04:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You should fold your mirror when you get out. My buddy does with his yukon (well thats because the mirror on his is 2x as big as ours.

A few of my friends plastic wrapped my truck, they worked at lowes so they got the stuff used for wrapping pallets o stuff. Walked out one cold mornin saw that, got a knife, done, well at least i didnt have to scrape my windows, haha.

Hope you dont have anything else happen to your truck.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder

If you parked on the dirt/lawn area on the right would anyone yell at ya? THats what i would do if the driveway is clogged.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:53 PM

Hoorah, Its funny someone egged my yota the night b4 i bought it. Is there a nationwide yota egging taking place?
Old 03-30-2009, 05:03 PM

I have a question for you imsuperbleeder,

Were those the original mirrors from factory that were broken off? I notice you have vent windows also, I have them too on my 4runner except my mirrors have more of a "square" mounting base instead of the angled ones that you have. I've been wanting to replace my mirrors but I can't find the exact same kind. Was it hard to replace them also? Bummer about your mirrors, at least the new ones look great.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Someone thinks its hilarious to key my truck.

On my myspace, it has pictures of it white and pristine... but a few trees later, its bondo'ed and rattle can primer gray.

So about twice a week, i just go get a can of primer from my garage and fix it.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:14 PM
Contributing Member

My guess is the guy that hit it wasn't going too fast. I happened to be following a 2006 Yukon going 45 Mph down an avenue. He got too close to a parked F250 and both trucks mirrors exploded. Debris was scattered for a half block and the driver didn't even flinch, the Yukon's passenger on the other hand looked like she was going to jump out the moonroof. Sorry to her about yours, glad she's back together.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I wonder if the failing economy is resulting in increased anti-import sentiment? Your good ol' 'merican lower middle class boy looses his job loosely screwing on parts at the Dodge factory and walks home past an import and decides to take a swipe at an import because he perceives that the person who bought the Toyota put food on Eiji Toyoda's table instead of Frank Brown's.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:46 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Hilux808
I have a question for you imsuperbleeder,

Were those the original mirrors from factory that were broken off? I notice you have vent windows also, I have them too on my 4runner except my mirrors have more of a "square" mounting base instead of the angled ones that you have. I've been wanting to replace my mirrors but I can't find the exact same kind. Was it hard to replace them also? Bummer about your mirrors, at least the new ones look great.
as far as I'm aware of, those were the original mirrors from 91; they looked quite aged, and the bolt-screw going down through the center of the one that was broken was pretty rusted up looking; there's was also one of those mud-dobber wasp nest INSIDE it... not sure how any insect could get inside it, but whatever, lol

as far as replacing them, it literally take under 2 minutes per mirror

1)pop off the screw cover on the mirror base
2)remove the 2 screws holding it on
3)once removed, it's a good idea to clean the surface of the door, cause a lot of crap accumilates on it
4)hold the mirror up and screw it back into place
5)pop on the plastic screw cover

and that's it! all it takes is a flat-head screwdriver or a pocket knife to pop the cover off, and a phillip's head to remove the screws

I have seen the different types, but I honestly couldn't tell ya what makes the difference from vehicle to vehicle; these I have should bolt right to yours; the mount should be the same if you have the side vents and the mirrors that bolt to the door

Originally Posted by Matt16
I wonder if the failing economy is resulting in increased anti-import sentiment? Your good ol' 'merican lower middle class boy looses his job loosely screwing on parts at the Dodge factory and walks home past an import and decides to take a swipe at an import because he perceives that the person who bought the Toyota put food on Eiji Toyoda's table instead of Frank Brown's.
lmao, haha, maybe man, who knows...

Originally Posted by Tubbyfatty
If you parked on the dirt/lawn area on the right would anyone yell at ya? THats what i would do if the driveway is clogged.
actually I was! I kinda park half and half; I tried to get as far outta the road as possible...

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 03-30-2009 at 05:48 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:48 PM

Thanks imsuperbleeder.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:50 PM
Contributing Member

hey, who renamed my thread? why?

just for searching aid I assume?

sorry mods

EDIT: never mind, I see it was the Wabbit

sorry, thanks for fix'n it up for me

but if ya wunna get technical, it should be "Busted Side Mirror", non plural, cause only one was busted

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 03-30-2009 at 05:56 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
That sucks! People are pathetic Im glad I can usually snag a spot in the driveway!
Old 03-30-2009, 05:58 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
hey, who renamed my thread? why?

just for searching aid I assume?

sorry mods

EDIT: never mind, I see it was the Wabbit

sorry, thanks for fix'n it up for me

but if ya wunna get technical, it should be "Busted Side Mirror", non plural, cause only one was busted
Threads with vague or pointless titles are supposed to get deleted, it is a posted sticky, but I try to edit them according as if the title has the main idea then future searchers find stuff easier. Get it?

Old 03-30-2009, 06:01 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Threads with vague or pointless titles are supposed to get deleted, it is a posted sticky, but I try to edit them according as if the title has the main idea then future searchers find stuff easier. Get it?

haha, it's all good Wabb

thanks for the edit

lol at the "(just one)" revise

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Busted Side Mirror (just one)