Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Burned hole in axle tube

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 08:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Burned hole in axle tube

I ordered some new shocks for the rear of my truck and decided to relocate the lower shock mounts. It has a trail gear six inch rear lift on it. U bolt flip from trail gear also. Shock mounts were on top of the housing. Moved to add more shock travel. Well anyway when using the plasma to cut of the right mount I ended up burning a hole in the tube. After much yelling and cursing I calmed down and determined my options.
1. Look for a new axle housing and swap everything over
2 Tear apart the axle remove third member axle shafts etc weld it up and flush it out
3. weld it up and just run it a second down the road and drain the fluid.

So I ended up going with option 3 right wrong or indifferent. I welded it up and finished the shock relocation and some brake line rerouting and took it down the road and back parked it and drained the fluid. Seems like the magnetic plug caught most of the junk, not too much actually. Filled it back up and will run it again for a bit and then probably drain it.

Anyone else do any boneheaded thing like this?
Old 04-05-2015, 08:03 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I have done my share of dumb things but never that.

Then very seldom does a torch or plasma unit get used on any but scrap vehicles.
Old 04-05-2015, 06:25 PM

I once put oil in my radiator lol

Just finishing up a rebuild and topping off fluids. My oil was in a BLACK 5quart jug and coolant was in a BLACK 1gallon jug. Was switching back and forth waiting for levels to settle and poured the oil in my brand new radiator.

I knew it right away and after I quit cursing and regathered myself I drained and flushed it multiple times and off to the parts store for more coolant I was. Easily my biggest bonehead move
Old 04-06-2015, 06:15 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Shagool22
I once put oil in my radiator lol

Just finishing up a rebuild and topping off fluids. My oil was in a BLACK 5quart jug and coolant was in a BLACK 1gallon jug. Was switching back and forth waiting for levels to settle and poured the oil in my brand new radiator.

I knew it right away and after I quit cursing and regathered myself I drained and flushed it multiple times and off to the parts store for more coolant I was. Easily my biggest bonehead move
ouch. at least fixable. Last october I had just gotten new bearings for my KTM and and put them in and then pressed the seal in to far. Only way to pull it out was to knock the bearing out ont he internal race. Had to order another set of bearings.