86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Build opinion wanted

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 05:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Build opinion wanted

Alright,

Here's what I've got:

92 4Runner 206k miles, head gaskets done at 196, oil leaks but have the stuff to fix it, and auto.

Mods: BJ spacers, LC springs, shocks, 2 x 12's, mids and and highs etc..

Future mods: RB body lift, 35's and gears.

Those are Set in stone, now here's my delimma.

Been planning on an engine swap but decided I'm building an engine for my car instead and going with more boost.

So, thinking of just getting the Thorely headers along with a nice dual exhaust setup - after the body lift so i have more room to work with, and converting to 5-speed as it free's up alot of power.

This is my toy, my play rig, and my longer trip vehicle, and I don't want it down for long periods of time. I'm having a hard time convincing myself to do the swap as the previous owner put a good 1500 into the engine in repairs, I mean everythign is new except the A/C compressor - currently out - and my power steering hoses.

So, should I drop the money on the headers and a nice 5 speed to put in? Between the headers, 5.29's, and 5 speed I think she'll be just what I want, I only want a little more power and I'm rocking 33's on the auto and it's not that bad right now IMO, it's not my car
Old 02-23-2010, 05:51 PM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
5:29's with 33's are what you want with an Auto...

4:88 with 33's and 5speed, you'll be fine... 1st trip with that 4Runner with 33's 5:29's and a 5 speed and you'll be kicking yourself... The RPMs will be too high...

OD drop on an Auto is 500rpm. It's half that with a 5speed...

Other than that, 3.4, 5speed, 4:88s and 33's... Then you can go back later if you want and throw a TRD Supercharger on it... And with all that power you can actually run higher gears and you might pickup a few MPG's... Not that you can't do that now...

Last edited by tried4x2signN; 02-23-2010 at 05:58 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:26 PM

sell the stang, SAS the runner wiht full widths, 40s, and do a 4BT Cummins swap!!
but seriously if it were me, id do the gears, header and tranny over a swap
Old 02-23-2010, 08:34 PM

stang was for sale for a while and i've got a history witth SAS so it will get it, just no hurry here in florida, and I was saying I run 33's now i'm going to 35's _ i'd rather a v8 swap than a 3.4 unless it fell in my lap, sorry for spelling and punc on my phone
Old 02-23-2010, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the SAS swap is an awesome up grade
Old 02-23-2010, 08:48 PM
Contributing Member

save your money on the headers, they don't do much for this motor, your going to spend about $600 for a more aggressive sound and 10-15hp.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:50 PM
Contributing Member

headers are great for preventing HG failure, but your motor is all rebuilt so you shouldn't have to worry.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by Tracey98277
save your money on the headers, they don't do much for this motor, your going to spend about $600 for a more aggressive sound and 10-15hp.
Haha, well, I have a cracked exhaust manifold, so if I keep this motor, it's getting headers, and I really only need about an additional 15-25 flywheel HP to get this motor to where I'm really happy with it, when I have it down for the 5-speed swap going to ship the injector's off as well, think thye are a bit dirty after 206k

I figured I can do swap, new clutch, headers, full exhaust with duals for under 1200, and the engine's compression is great, and head gaskets are new. Just was raised if it ain't broke, don't fix it type, my hot-rods that rule doesn't apply, with racing you try to fix th weak link before you break it;-)

I can be in a 302 for about 2g's out the door bolted in and running, so for 800 more I can have 225 hp as opposed to 160ish, so it's actually a decision, I have the fab skills, just not the time
Old 02-25-2010, 06:12 AM

Scratch all of that,

I just got a FORGED 306 given too me for some work I helped a guy do the other day, he's throwing in some E7 heads that I will home port and a stock intake manifold upper and lower. I just need some injectors and rails, along with MAF and find a accesory drive kit for it and good to go, so I'll have a built/forged 306 in my 4runner in a few months Might just say screw it and go with good heads and intake mani since I'm getting the shortblock for free It's a Kellog crank, manley conneting rods and Probe pistons

Wow, What a score
Old 03-03-2010, 05:31 PM

95 Cobra Swap Incoming:)

Had some Corbeau Seats and 04 Cobra rear seats, guy wanted them but didn't have money, we started talking and well, I'm out some seats, but got the Engine, Harness, ECU, all attachments for the front of the engine, EVERYTHING, driving the car tomorrow, then helping him take it out over the week next week.

I'm STOKED, will just throw this in, only 120k on it too, not even going to open it up unless I take the tranny off and do the rear main seal but will determine that once it's out and stitting on my back porch.

Time to start looking for parts.

What's the easiest way to put the pedals in for a clutch, I'm going with the cable setup.

And I know stangs like the back of my hand, and I got a steal - 245hp on it's way in

Time to find some parts for the swap, and would it be easier to say screw it and go auto, or just buy an adapter for the Transfer case to the T-5?
Old 03-05-2010, 07:38 AM

So, found a adapter for the t-5 to yota transfer case but it's 800 and change after shipping, that's too much.

does anyone know any stock Ford transfer cases that will work on the Yota?

I'm staying IFS at first then going SAS later, but for now want to still run IFS, oh, ordered my 4Crawler 2inch body lift last night, and will be ordering the other needed items in the very near future.

Why does everyone say to stay away from NWOR's bolt in motor mounts, and is thier oil pan really needed?
Old 03-05-2010, 07:54 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Too much HP for any of the Toyota driveline, axles etc. All you will do is break stuff unless you go to tons etc.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:31 PM

Yeah, i plan on going with better axles at the same time I do the SAS, but that will be around 6 months After the engine swap, unless I break them

Ordered the 2 inch body lift - got confirmation today anyway and ordered the 1 inch diff drop as well.

Will get it in ASAP, and looks like I already sold the T-5 and I'm going to go Auto - prob AOD as it has a .72 OD on it which would allow me to play down low, and get decent milage...
Old 05-25-2010, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Too much HP for any of the Toyota driveline, axles etc. All you will do is break stuff unless you go to tons etc.

You wont need tons.

my 74 Bronco has an EFI 5.0 from a '91 stang, the nine inch and dana 44 have held up for 12 years, with 35 inch tires.

I think the stock Yota trans axles would be fine unless you drive it like a 16 yr old.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
240 on a 95 cobra. Did the car have the optional hardtop? Those fetch
a decent price. One of my employees had a black 95 vert with the hardtop too
nice car. I was a mustang guy 4 ever. You would of loved my 04 mach with a d1sc on it. Ran mid 11's. But gobbled automatic trannies
Old 05-25-2010, 06:38 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by roundhouse
You wont need tons.

my 74 Bronco has an EFI 5.0 from a '91 stang, the nine inch and dana 44 have held up for 12 years, with 35 inch tires.

I think the stock Yota trans axles would be fine unless you drive it like a 16 yr old.
Most adding that much HP do so for a reason. I've seen what that much HP does to Toy R&Ps. They don't like it.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:44 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I would tend to go automatic if you did the 5.0
The shock from dumping the clutch and such is what makes axles snap most and such. a slightly stalled auto (2800-3000)
would help the toyota innards survive.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by HighLux
240 on a 95 cobra. Did the car have the optional hardtop? Those fetch
a decent price. One of my employees had a black 95 vert with the hardtop too
nice car. I was a mustang guy 4 ever. You would of loved my 04 mach with a d1sc on it. Ran mid 11's. But gobbled automatic trannies

Normally but he's runnign a letter cam in it

This guy has been back and forth on me, but as of this morment, it looks like I'm getting the engine, and yes, If I get it I'm goign to put it with an auto and sell the t-5 and then throw a 208 tranny clocked for the setup to maintain 4wd

It's just easiest that way. Of course, I won't know if this deal is goign through until I have the setup in my hands

Old 05-27-2010, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit

Most adding that much HP do so for a reason. I've seen what that much HP does to Toy R&Ps. They don't like it.

If it goes through I will run the rear for a while, and look for some decent axles, wouldlnt be long after the swap I would be gettign rid of the IFS, but I'm questioning the whole swap now becuase this guy is dragging his feet, and I need soemthing more reliable than this Runner right now due to having kids, never anything big, but it's nickle and diming me right now. I think I've got all the kinks worked out except the valve covers leading but got the gaskets for hat the other day and will fix it soon
Old 05-28-2010, 09:46 AM

What would you do?

1992 4Runner quite a bit done, parts sitting around waiting to go on, but not getting love from me lately.

alright, it's got the 3.0 in it and I hve a forged shortblock 302 puched to 306 with no top end for it with an AOD tranny, but about to sell that.

Have a lead on this guy that has been back and froth for months on a 95 Cobra Engine, Tranny, ECU, and Harness - he wants the tranny from my car, and it's a swap plus he's giving me 1750 bucks.

1997 Chevy Extended Cab with SAS and 123k miles on it wants to trade, I'm leaning this way as I miss having a truck...

So, should I get the Chevy

Should I put the regular 302 in with a cheap top end kit and run it carbed for a while so it's easier to get in and can have it setup in a weekend?

Should I get the Cobra drivetrain, swap it over, keep it all electric, and get 20mpg's on 35's

It's really between the Cobra setup, or getting rid of it, I hate HATE HATE the 3.0, it leaks oil like a civ, and has been towed for Simple crap taht I couldn't fix on the road 5 times in the last two months.

What would you do, and why? The reason I haven't started the swap is Simple, I don't have time, between being a single dad of 2, and my work, I have none now

Quick Reply: Build opinion wanted