Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Broken ignition lock cylinder/remote starter possibility...

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Broken ignition lock cylinder/remote starter possibility...

Hi guys, I'm new to forums but have been lurking for a while. I searched around but didn't find exactly what I was looking for so I thought I'd register and ask directly. Thanks in advance for any help.

I have an 86 4Runner, and one of the pins in the ignition lock cylinder is jammed so I cannot turn the cylinder from the off position. I've tried everything I could think of to loosen the pin back into position but have had no success. After researching the parts and contacting a locksmith it will cost 170 for the lock cylinder with key, and 150 for a locksmith to extract the cylinder and rebuild it for my key. I don't really want to spend that kind of money, so I was thinking of just drilling out the cylinder and hooking up a remote starter. If I go this route, I had a couple of questions...

If I remove the lock cylinder, will that also unlock the steering wheel? I am able to start the truck now with the ignition switch but can't unlock the wheel to steer. I don't want to go through everything and then find out this is still going to be a problem.

My 2nd question has to do with the remote starters. I've never installed one, but they seem pretty straightforward. The truck is manual and has no ebrake, so it is always in gear. This isn't a big deal but I'm assuming that I should get a starter that connects to the neutral safety switch or the clutch switch. Any recommendations on a starter, or any that I should at least stay away from?

My last question would be if anyone knows an alternative way to fix this or if anyone has been in a similar situation and might have any helpful hints or tips?

Thanks again!
Old 08-03-2010, 05:00 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Your going to have to replace the ignition lock. I was on ebay last night and there was an ignition lock and key for an 86 4Runner, i didn`t get a price, but i definatly saw one. Go to ebay motors and click on parts and accessories, them put in 1986 toyota 4Runner, and start going through the list of parts until you find it.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:33 PM

Go to rockauto.com

The ignition lock cylinder on there is only like 30$, im sure you should be able to get comparable prices at a local parts store, and im sure you could install it yourself.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:42 AM

Thanks for the tips on getting a cheap lock cylinder. That may actually convince to to replace it eventually. I still need to try to get a quick fix together so I can go wheeling this weekend. Maybe I'll skip the remote start kit though.

Will removing the lock cylinder from the steering column unlock the steering wheel? As long as I can steer, I can wheel with or without any type of key mechanism.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
dont drill it, you can take it out yourself, pull out all of the tumblers and put it back together, granted you can start it with a screwdriver but it still looks stock and will be fine as long as you dont tell anybody
Old 08-04-2010, 11:30 AM

changing out the lock cylinder shouldnt take long, and if you want it ready for this weekend go the the parts store or call around and find someone with one in stock...or if they have to order it, it will probably be in tomorrow, that gives you 2 days to install something that should just take a few minutes, you will probably spend equal time screwing around with it trying to get it to unlock then just replacing it....

plus you'll be happy you went ahead and did it instead of having to mess with it again.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:26 PM

How would I remove the ignition lock without drilling it? When I looked up how to remove it, the instructions I got were to put the lock in the ACC position and then push a paperclip into the little release button on the side. Since the first pin in the tumbler is jammed up (not springing back into position) I cannot turn to the ACC position to pull it out. I was going to drill into the front of the casing to drill out the specific pin so that I could turn the key to remove the cylinder. If there is another way to remove it, please let me know. The instructions I got were from a Haynes manual, so I know they aren't absolute.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:45 PM

nvm. found my answer in the first post.

Last edited by BigSwole; 08-04-2010 at 08:47 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:26 PM

I have the same problem with a key that wont turn and a locked steering wheel. I cant get the key to aux even so i will have to drill it out. I have a new ignition lock tumbler ready to install but am concerned that the wheel wont unlock when i remove the stuck one. Will the steering wheel unlock when I remove the tumbler? I think i am going to drill out the release pin to get it out. hope that works.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:34 PM

I got the lock cylinder unfrozen by following a very scientific approach... I inserted the key and jiggled it with the fury of a thousand suns while simultaneously punching the steering wheel and shouting explicatives loudly at the japanese designers. It's will was broken and the cylinder moved to the acc position. From there, the cylinder was easy to remove.

If that doesn't work, drilling out the pins will be the only way to do it, but once drilled, the cylinder will be able to turn and the steering wheel will unlock. Hope that helps, and best of luck!
Old 07-15-2011, 08:16 AM

Frankryzzo, that is the best explanation i have ever heard.
I got it! My key wouldn't turn even to ACC and the steering wheel was locked in my 1997 4runner
My process:
To pinpoint the problem, i disconnected the battery, ensured it was not an electrical shift lock switch preventing my key from turning. I also didnt want to fry something or set off my airbags. I jiggled the key whilst shacking the wheel with "the furry of a thousand suns" for over an hour. I tried graphite lock lube... nothing worked. I put the car in neutral using the unlock on the shifter and pushed the car back and forth around the driveway, i kicked the tires, i started it with my remote started and shifted into forward and reverse before hitting the brake to kill it... nothing freed up the key or the steering wheel. After determining that the tumbler was the sure problem I removed the necessary panels and drilled out the release pin underneath the tumbler careful not to damage the casting that holds it in place. It seemed like a lot less drilling than drilling out where the key goes. I did break a couple of new drill bits in the process but it was relativity quick. I then grabbed the tumbler with pliers and pulled it out part of the way with a little wiggling. It hung up after pulling it out a little. I realized there was a plastic spring button blocking it from coming out on the top from one of the attached sensors. I pushed it out of the way with a small screwdriver and it came out easily. The steering wheel was still locked and the new tumbler wouldn't slide all the way in. I had to first stick a flat head screwdriver where the tumbler goes and turn the starter recess inside the cavity while shaking the steering wheel. It freed easily. I then slid the ignition lock tumbler in making sure the protrusion lined up with the recess in the cavity. Put the dash back together, hooked up the battery, turned the key.... Vroom! Thanks all for the help..
Old 07-15-2011, 10:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The salvage yards I go to, there junk wreaked trucks with steering colums still in vehicles have the key still in ignitions with those salvage tow truck towers steel wires and or zip ties snaked into steering wheel openings and through the key, I would get one of those for a couple bucks ;}
Old 07-15-2011, 01:02 PM

A junk yard is a great place to get a cheap cylinder, but I got mine through rockauto.com and it was like 25 bucks.