Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Broken CV axle spinning on me

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broken CV axle spinning on me

90' 22re

Cv axle broke right at the outter joint so it spins when I try and remove those six 17mm nuts. No air tools so to get the other side off I had to use the kicking method on my ratchet lol When I try it on the other side the wrench I'm using to jam the cv joint (to prevent it from spinning) always falls off. Any tips on how to stop the spinning??
Old 07-30-2016, 06:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mattyboi
90' 22re Cv axle broke right at the outter joint so it spins when I try and remove those six 17mm nuts. No air tools so to get the other side off I had to use the kicking method on my ratchet lol When I try it on the other side the wrench I'm using to jam the cv joint (to prevent it from spinning) always falls off. Any tips on how to stop the spinning??
I used an open end box end on one side and a ratchet with a 17 on it. The open end box end on the inner bolt head and the ratchet on the nut. If I remember right I would spin it until the wrench came into contact with the frame and use that to hold it while I broke the nut loose. You might need to hold all it still with a wrench as I described and break a nut loose on a different bolt closer to you.

Any of that make sense? ::beer::
Old 07-30-2016, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Trents3.slow
I used an open end box end on one side and a ratchet with a 17 on it. The open end box end on the inner bolt head and the ratchet on the nut. If I remember right I would spin it until the wrench came into contact with the frame and use that to hold it while I broke the nut loose. You might need to hold all it still with a wrench as I described and break a nut loose on a different bolt closer to you.

Any of that make sense? ::beer::
Yup pretty much what I was doing! Kept trying and managed to get all but 2 nuts loose then it started pouring on me haha
Old 07-30-2016, 07:13 PM

Yup pretty much what I was doing! Kept trying and managed to get all but 2 nuts loose then it started pouring on me haha
It started raining? Where the heck is that? It's hotter than Africa here in Sacramento.

I used the method I described and was able to get them all loose. Keep at it and use your legs. If it was easy everyone would do it.

Oddly enough I just got home from the rubicon with a beat up cv and will be walking this walk in the morning. I'll get some pictures of it if your still having trouble
Old 07-30-2016, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Trents3.slow
It started raining? Where the heck is that? It's hotter than Africa here in Sacramento.

I used the method I described and was able to get them all loose. Keep at it and use your legs. If it was easy everyone would do it.

Oddly enough I just got home from the rubicon with a beat up cv and will be walking this walk in the morning. I'll get some pictures of it if your still having trouble
I'm up in northern BC and it's been pretty wet summer after all those spring time fires we had! Should get it off given enough time tomorrow. Wouldn't mind pictures, the more the merrier!

Any idea what this is? Cam out of the outter broke joint.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:20 PM

I'm up in northern BC and it's been pretty wet summer after all those spring time fires we had! Should get it off given enough time tomorrow. Wouldn't mind pictures, the more the merrier! Any idea what this is? Cam out of the outter broke joint.
No idea what that is, if I had to throw a wild guess at it. I would say it is part of the joint. Is it metal or a type of plastic?
Old 07-31-2016, 01:56 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Since it is already broke a small pipe wrench to keep it from spinning .

I have resorted to that trick a few times
Old 07-31-2016, 10:09 AM

Just a piece of metal. And yea I tried the pipe wrench method with the box end wrench combined. Worked great!