Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Brakes & Rotors, what else?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 07:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brakes & Rotors, what else?

I'm having a shop replace my brakes and rotors on a '95 4x4 pickup. I just moved, and don't have the tools to do it myself right now. Is there anything else I should have them do at the same time? Wheel bearings maybe?
Old 08-06-2009, 07:24 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Maybe if you ask real nice and you tell folks where you live you may have some help with this. Could be cheaper than the shop too...I know some folks will work for lunch and a cold beer.

As far as anything else...maybe repack the bearings.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Brembo rotors are very good and very reasonably priced at tirerack. They also sell the excellent Hawk pads. Any of Hawk's non-ceramic pads stop really well; they do make some dust and occasionally squeak. Not too bad, though. Many shops will install parts that you supply, and you can save some money that way plus you'll have better parts.

x2 on the wheel bearings, and maybe your hubs too if those haven't been done in a while. Assuming they're manual hubs.

You may also want to try lubing the spindle bushing with a grease needle injector. The process is described in this post from *some other forum*:
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=283617
Old 08-07-2009, 08:25 AM

Repack those bearing for sure!!! Make sure they use good grease and they don't over/under tighten your hubs. Maybe check into flushing your brake lines if the fluid is looking dark or your peddle is feeling a little soft or squishy. Mine did and i did a flush last weekend and now my brakes feel sooo much better. My fluid looked like the color of Pepsi when it came out, lol.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sb5walker
Brembo rotors are very good and very reasonably priced at tirerack. They also sell the excellent Hawk pads. Any of Hawk's non-ceramic pads stop really well; they do make some dust and occasionally squeak. Not too bad, though. Many shops will install parts that you supply, and you can save some money that way plus you'll have better parts.

x2 on the wheel bearings, and maybe your hubs too if those haven't been done in a while. Assuming they're manual hubs.

You may also want to try lubing the spindle bushing with a grease needle injector. The process is described in this post from *some other forum*:
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=283617
Brembo rotors are fine, just make sure that you do not get any crossdrilled rotor. Slotted is just "ok", plain surface is the best.
Actually the Hawk pads rate sort of towards the bottom of the pads. The EBC pads are at the top.
Hawks simply didn't get the job done very well compared to some of the other pads available.

Fred
Old 08-08-2009, 06:55 AM

I replaced my rotors/pads/shoes not too long ago- DEFINITELY repack the bearings. Mine were a mess and it was totally worth the extra time to clean it up and do it right. It's probably not all that important, but I rebuilt the calipers as well, mostly for cleaning. The last owner abused it, so there was some serious cleaning so the pads didn't stick or fluids weren't backing up. Also, I'm not sure if the 95' has drums in the back, but if you do, consider having them serviced as well (if they need it). Mine were shot to death and needed some lovin'. Good luck with your truck!
Old 08-08-2009, 07:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Knightfir3
I replaced my rotors/pads/shoes not too long ago- DEFINITELY repack the bearings. Mine were a mess and it was totally worth the extra time to clean it up and do it right. It's probably not all that important, but I rebuilt the calipers as well, mostly for cleaning. The last owner abused it, so there was some serious cleaning so the pads didn't stick or fluids weren't backing up. Also, I'm not sure if the 95' has drums in the back, but if you do, consider having them serviced as well (if they need it). Mine were shot to death and needed some lovin'. Good luck with your truck!
Yup, the '95's have drums in the rear. I brake job should certainly involve pulling the rear drums and at least inspecting and cleaning the rears.

Fred