86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Brake problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 05:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake problems

Hello everyone I have a 86 Toyota 4x4 turbo and I'm have brake problems. I have replaced the calipers, wheel cylinders and the m/c and now I can't get the rear brakes to bleed right. (Gallon and half of fluid) there is pressure to the wheel cylinder but only dribbles out of the bleeder. And the w/c is clear of any debris. I have pumped the brakes and even bought a vacuum tool and still nothing. I even took apart and cleaned the lspv. I don't really know if it is working right or not. Can't find anything on the net that would help me out on the lspv. Any help would be great.

Last edited by rcguy1965; 07-09-2014 at 11:38 AM.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:41 AM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Clogged line somewhere?
Old 07-09-2014, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have fluid coming out of the lines but can't get it to come out of the bleeders
Old 07-10-2014, 10:23 AM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
brake basics

Start with basics. Were the wheel cylinders new? Did you rebuild them? Make sure the bleeder screws aren't rusted and/or filled with garbage. Also run the shoes out on drums so theres a slight bit of drag with no pedal. Then your hydraulics don't have a huge travel length so start.

Bleeding works best with two folks. Always keep your master cyl full; dont let it get low or you'll push more air. The good thing here is you will be replacing all the fluid.

edit: I always bench bleed the M/C. (fill resevoir, push on plunger to expel air, put fingers on exits to plug before releasing plunger). If you're really stumped, put plugs on the ends of all but R Rear cylinder (undo flexible lines, and plug. That will allow most of your M/C push to go to the right rear. Air being most compressible it works its way to furthest point. Eventually. Hopefully! And note the pre adjust of shoes below).

So have someone push (might need to pump pedal a few times - won't make a difference at first if vacuum boost is working) and you'll open R Rear (furthest from M/C). It will take a few times before it seems like it will be doing any good. When get a decent flow with not huge amounts of spitting, go to L rear, then R front, L front. Then at that point you should have most of air out. Then pumping and holding is important.

Remind your helper to pump several times to build pressure, and then hold down as you open. Don't let them take foot off while you have bleeder open. Make sure you close before you yell "okay, again!".

You should get start to get good firm pedal after two laps. Keep an eye on that fluid level. Don't let brake fluid get on painted surfaces else they won't be for long.

And a tip to diag M/C; you get firm pedal, but then continued pressure allows it to start pushing on down to floor. Assuming no other external leaks, then you are experiencing the internal seals leaking and allowing fluid to leak back around plunger.

Good luck. Oh, check those flexible lines, they'll usually leak before sucking air, but I have seen the exception. And old ones will allow some expansion of the hose, which defeats the purpose.

Last edited by coopster; 07-10-2014 at 10:30 AM. Reason: better read of original post