Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Brake Light won't go off

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 08:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Light won't go off

92 4runner v6.

I've got a parking brake light that will not go out and subsequently won't let the cruise control engage. I have tried the usual suspects:

1) parking brake switch disengages freely. Continuity is fine as per factory manual instructions.

2) Same deal with the brake fluid level sendor—moves freely, fluid filled, continuity tests as per FSM.

Tried testing the Cruise Control ECU input pin socket (14?) and it seems to go on and off with the parking brake just fine, which would lead me to believe the problem is with the ecu except that the pb light stays on no matter what, which I don't see how the ecu would control. Occasionally the light flickers out when I am driving and the cruise works fine.

So my questions:
1) I don't see any other inputs that could turn on the PB dash light (brake lights, brake pad indicators, etc.). Am I missing something?

2) Is the PB dash light wired in before or after the fluid and pb rod switch goes to the cruise control ecu, between the switches and the ecu, or after teh ecu? The fsm wiring manual gives no real help on this point....

This is driving me totally bonkers. Don't mind the light so much as I miss the cruise control.

Thanks for any input.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
if you can push in on the e-brake handle and it turns off the light, or push the button in with your finger and it goes out, it is an adjustment problem . try rapping some tape around the arm that contacts the switch, or adjust the e-brake up.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
... and make sure the cable isn't binding and preventing the handle from fully returning when you release the p-brake.

... and sorry to go OT but Yanmar powered? Interesting.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by abecedarian

... and sorry to go OT but Yanmar powered? Interesting.
Me too! Isn't a Yanmar a generator??
Old 01-08-2010, 03:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yea make sure the cable isn't binding...cuz if it binds..it's like bent that way for LIFE lol..

mine did it ONCE and now i can't get it bent back right..gotta get a new one

and yea wtf..yanmar!?

fricken 4bt dude lmao..SAS it with HD springs..then 4BT swap it lol nv4500 5spd..shortened 14bolt rear..shortened D60 front ..on 44's
Old 01-08-2010, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Junkers88
Me too! Isn't a Yanmar a generator??
They also make light construction equipment.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:06 PM

Problem turned out to be a short in the brake fluid level sensor, just enough that it tested fine but when I pulled it before heading down the road the light went out. Thanks for the responses.

Yanmar makes very sweet marine diesels (the fuel system is basically licensed Bosch) as well as construction diesels of all kinds, especially for a forklifts. I have a Yanmar 4tne92 that I bought because it fits almost precisely in the same dimensions as a 22re. Then I made a custom milled flywheel for a Toy transmission. All that remains is a bell housing fab mate up and a turbo fitment (probably a t3/t4 garrett type) and I hope to pull 110+ hp and who knows how much torque.

Alas, I am broke as all heck so the project is sitting in a storage locker in Oregon. I'm entertaining a few serious offers on the set up, but be forewarned it is not for the squeamish or the inexperienced conversion nut.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by leseid

Yanmar makes very sweet marine diesels (the fuel system is basically licensed Bosch) as well as construction diesels of all kinds, especially for a forklifts. I have a Yanmar 4tne92 that I bought because it fits almost precisely in the same dimensions as a 22re. Then I made a custom milled flywheel for a Toy transmission. All that remains is a bell housing fab mate up and a turbo fitment (probably a t3/t4 garrett type) and I hope to pull 110+ hp and who knows how much torque.

Alas, I am broke as all heck so the project is sitting in a storage locker in Oregon. I'm entertaining a few serious offers on the set up, but be forewarned it is not for the squeamish or the inexperienced conversion nut.
SAVE SOME MONEY AND DO THE SWAP!!!!! I'd LOVE to see this in a build up thread.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:40 PM

/me ponders the CA emissions hoops to jump through...
Old 01-08-2010, 04:47 PM

Cali emission hoops are much exaggerated, in relation to conversions. (I've reg. more than one 4bt cruiser) but the Yanmar would push it pretty far simply because no iteration of it has appeared on the road before. But I do have a few tricks up my sleeve involving a certain state that does not require residency and does not care about conversion particulars....

Yeah, I'll probably have to do this one myself. Not a lot of people out there I could even explain this one to The beauty is that it is a straight drop in front of a w56 and looks almost exactly like a 22R from the get. I love this engine.