Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Braided Stainless Fuel Lines

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 02:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Braided Stainless Fuel Lines

Alright, to start off, I have been lurking these forums on and off for a while now, this seems to be the best place to turn to for answers.

My wife recently bought me a 1991 Hilux with a 3VZ-E as a christmas present / new obsession (I ran out of computers to build) and the thing is a glorious rust bucket. I have been doing major body work and a tune-up to it, fighting the rust and what I think might be a fuel delivery problem. I was having problems driving up steep-ish hills. I cleaned the air filter, did an oil change, spark plugs & wires, etc...

I arrived at the fuel filter. The forward union bolt on the filter is completely rounded, and I later figured out, seized to the filter. I tried all of the tricks I can think of to include: tapping it with a hammer and using WD-40 and later PB Blaster, with Vice-Grips on the rounded bolt, and it didnt work. I used a can of compressed air on it to try to freeze it a bit, JB-welded a wrench onto it, used a helper to hold the filter bolt while I used a breaker bar on the welded wrench, cursed a lot and kicked my tire a few times (didn't seem to help at all). So i did the unthinkable and took it to a shop. They said replace the fuel line. I took it home and used an impact wrench, still not budging, so now I am replacing the fuel line.

On to my question: Has anybody ever used braided fuel lines before? I was thinking about replacing the roughly 5-1/2 foot section of fuel line in front of the filter with stainless braided fuel lines, and splicing the union bolts on to the new line. If anybody has used this line before, any tips or suggestions/landmines to avoid?

Btw, I am currently stationed in guam, so finding a place that both stocks and ships the factory line has proven to be... expensive. I have a P.O. box so most amazon sellers won't even ship out here... Help!?
Old 05-07-2013, 05:41 AM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojunikey7
... and kicked my tire a few times (didn't seem to help at all). ....
Not at all? That must have been really rusted on!

Braided steel lines are just rubber lines, with a protective coating (of steel braid). If you have a location where you must accommodate movement (an aircraft engine) or you just think braid looks cool (in a visible location in the engine compartment), steel braid can be worth it.

But Toyota used plain steel lines for a reason. Don't try to find a "factory replacement"; the odd shape would mean the shipping cost (to anywhere) would be a killer.

The ends have a common "double-flare," and the tool to do that is not expensive, and can oft-times be borrowed. (It does require a bit of practice, so buy extra tubing and practice.) Bending steel tube is easy with the right (still inexpensive) tool, but it is an art form. More practice. The good news is that the line itself is not expensive and widely available. (I think the size is 8mm, but commonly sold as "5/16". Just take a piece with you when you shop.)

Around here I could buy assorted lengths of tubing with the flares and brass couplings already installed! But you won't be lucky enough to find one the exact length (5 1/2'?) you need. So just get 2-3 6' pieces, 4-5 brass couplings (you only need 2), and practice a bit.

Last, I don't recall if the line you are replacing ends in a fitting or crimp to the flexible line next to the fuel rail. That short piece of flex is probably fine, so I would cut the steel part at a convenient point, slide on a coupling and flare it.

Good luck!

Last edited by scope103; 05-07-2013 at 05:43 AM.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:34 AM

My supra is done front to back with braided lines. They look great and work great. But at 5-7$ a foot and 3-20$ a fitting it gets very expensive very fast.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by scope103
Not at all? That must have been really rusted on!
I know! There I was thinking I had the answers to all of my problems, now I only have a sore foot and a tire that I am pretty sure would be laughing if it wasn't inanimate...

The line I am replacing ends in a coupling right underneath the engine bay, just before the line turns into flex-hose, so if I can find the right couplings, that won't be a problem. Looks like I might have my work cut out for my this weekend. Is bending the fuel line a bit like bending re-bar?

As for the Braided hose, how likely is it to fail on me? I have seen it used a lot in street racers and other peoples pet mustangs and such, but I have never seen that mustang go hill climbing either.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:54 PM

As long as you cut the hose properly and seat it in the fitting they will work wonders for you. Ohh and DON'T BUY CHEAP BRAIDED HOSE. I cannot stress that enough, it will make your life he'll and it won't last. Try looking on areomotive. Com.