Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

BOV on 86 22ret with ct20?

Old 02-28-2011, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BOV on 86 22ret with ct20?

some of you have seen my recent purchase (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...-brown-226319/). I finally got some insurance on it and I am going to the DMV tomorrow to register. After that its getting a full detail and I am having a paintless dent guy take of the few dings...anyways the one thing I have wanted to get this for this since I got it is a blow off valve. I have searched the internet for the past 2 days now and I cant seem to find any threads showing which one to use, where it goes, which to buy or really any info on the idea at all I found one thread that someone said its not necessary to have one on it at all but its turbo so I want one I found another thread that someone said it needs to be a "plum back" set up...I am an extreme newb to turbos but not from to toyotas (was a toyota tech for several yrs but never got to work on any turbo vehicles) from what I have read it seems like I need a low boost version BOV. So if someone knows of a good thread that shows a detail install or someone has pics of their that would be great. The more info the better I have searched here, on the 22ret forum site, pirate 4x4 , marlins boards etc and I cant seem to find any specific information.

Thanks
Mike
Old 03-01-2011, 04:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just got a 1987 turbo pickup myself. I'm putting one on as soon as I have the time. I got a first generation DSM (mitsubishi eclipse/eagle talon) stock blow off valve to put on mine. I built my own flange to bolt the blowoff valve to. I am then putting a hole in the intake tube where I found seemed fit,then I will weld the flange there. There is a 1 1/4'' inch "vent" tube on this bov. I'm going to point it toward my inlet tube going to the turbo. In between the 2 rubber elbows on the inlet tract there is a metal pipe connecting the 2 rubber ones. I'm welding a 1 1/4'' pipe to that pointing straight up. I found a 1 1/4'' upper radiator hose that has really close to the right bends I need to connect the two,I should only have to trim it. That's the approach I'm trying,I'll post how it worked when I get it on threre, I have other issues with the truck I have to take care of first.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:12 PM

i ran a hks ssq on my wrx. liked it alot. ran a greddy before that and hated it. tial is another good brand. anyone will work just need to get the right flange.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:03 PM

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&s...&aqi=&aql=&oq=

This is the one I'm gonna use. Of course I got it for free from an import guy/friend that had it laying around. I can't see it being too hard to find one for cheap off craigslist or something. I just always heard these were good bov's for being stockers,and with a stock ct20,I don't think I need to spend $200+ on a polished noise maker to vent off the excess pressure when I lift off the throttle.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:45 AM

if you guys use a recirculating type valve you won't get the super cool "whoosh" between shifts. i'm running a atmospheric vent turboxs rfl bov. sounds awesome when i let off the gas (it's a auto) and i have zero drivability issues. below is a link with pics of my setup. you can see the bov in a couple of the engine shots. it's mounted in the charge pipe coming off the turbo just before the silicone elbow going into the intercooler. all the atmospheric vent valves need is to be mounted into the pressurized side of the intake system and for the vacuum line nipple to be attached to the manifold directly with a hose.

http://cid-83acdd3136a7d36a.photos.l.../turbo%20truck
Old 04-09-2011, 03:14 PM

You got more info on your set up? What turbo are you running? And what intercooler is that? I just obtained a turbonetics t3 manifold and 3" mandrel bent down pipe. I want to to do a t3/t4 hybrid when money permits
Old 04-09-2011, 09:45 PM

I got my 1st gen dsm valve on (recirculated) and it works great! Can hardly hear it,but stays spooled between shifts and I'm sure it helps out the turbo. And it was free,so I can't complain.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:47 AM

I have a blow off valve just venting to the atmosphere. With the automatic, it was no big deal because you are rarely snapping off the throttle. Now that I have swapped in the manual, I need to plumb it back into the intake. Sure it sounds freaking sweet, but now it hesitates after every shift and is dumping a crap load of fuel everytime I shift, so I'm sure I could get better mileage with it plumbed back into the intake
Old 04-10-2011, 10:36 AM

details on my motor.

i'm running a garrett gt2560r ball bearing turbo. i don't remember the maker of the intercooler but it's a water/air unit i scored off ebay. mercedes benz uses a water/air intercooler on some car they make and have a electric pump that works perfect to circulate the intercooler system coolant from the intercooler to the bumper mounted radiator. i'm using the stock exhaust manifold as you can see, and i just built a adapter plate from the ct20 mount to the gt25. lcengineering sells a oil feed line to mount directly to gt28 and gt25 series turbos. i just built the drain out of oil resistant hose and elbows. i LOVE the ball bearing turbo, it spools instantaneously- not floor it and wait like the ct20 on my wood cutting truck. HIGHLY reccomend a ball bearing turbo they are spendy but have zero friction and as a by product they spool insanely fast, operate cooler and last drastically longer than a bushing/oil cushion design. i can provide some better pics of the setup should they be useful to anyone.