Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Bolt in end of cv?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bolt in end of cv?

Okay here is my problem, actually my question.

I had A.d.d on my 4runner and then i swapped that for some warn hubs when i first got it. Last night it was makeing this noise kind of like the stearing stops sound when they rub, it actually did this when i first swapped them onto my truck but i managed to make it go away so i didn't worry about it. It was making this sound last night when i turned left, no matter how far it was cranked, also it didn't matter about the suspension movement.

When i did the hub swap there was a little bolt in the very end of the CV. I had it out but some guy at autozone said they were needed so i put them back in. Then it continued to make that sound so I ended up tinkering with the hubs and the noise stopped so i forgot about it. Then I took the hubs off to inspect them and those bolts were just floating around in the hub. So i put the bolts back in and tightned them up and when i drove it started makeing that noise again, so i called around and asked some people i know if that bolt was needed and my main answer was no. So I ended up taking the bolt out and it stopped making that sound. I was just wondering if any of you have this bolt in the end of your cv joints?

These bolts (one on each side) basically unscrewed themselves because they were floating around in my hubs when i took them apart. My question is are they needed with the manual hubs or is it something just for the A.d.d?

Thanks for the answers.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
im not shure what there for but my friend forgot to put his back in and he ran it like that with no problems. but his had hubs stock!
Old 04-29-2008, 10:35 AM

CLIPS!!! Did you put the C-clips on the end of the axles?

The bolts are sorta a backup to the clips, which really hold the axles in place.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Its to thread a bolt in so if the splines go in too far you can pull the shaft out and get a c-clip on it. You dont need it in there
Old 04-29-2008, 10:39 AM

I did not take anything off originally except for the add flange and replaced it with the hubs.

These are just the little bolts in the end of the CV joints and as far as i could tell there was no place for a c-clip around there
Old 04-29-2008, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by dirtoyboy
Its to thread a bolt in so if the splines go in too far you can pull the shaft out and get a c-clip on it. You dont need it in there

Thanks, that makes more sense! But there is supposed to be a C-clip on the very end near that?
Old 04-29-2008, 10:46 AM

YEs, there is supposed to be a c-clip there. You probably just cant see it. Pull on the end of the bolt to pull the splines out a bit and you should see it. You'll need a pair of snap ring pliers. When you are done remove the bolt before installing hubs.

Also, look here>> http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...18frontdri.pdf
Old 04-29-2008, 10:57 AM

Okay i see where you are talking about, iirc there is one, not too sure, but i know i never removed it.

Btw since we are on the topic of cv joints is it okay to have them move up and down, side to side a little bit when you grab onto the end of the shaft?
Old 04-29-2008, 11:14 AM

"...warn hubs..." may be the root of the problem.

In any case, I'd swap those out for some AISIN's!
Old 04-29-2008, 11:23 AM

Thats what ive heard recently!

I would like to plan to do that but i cannot find any.

But its weird because that noise stops when those bolts are off, but anyways i would still trade for some aisins

Last edited by 904_runner; 04-29-2008 at 11:25 AM.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by 904_runner

But its weird because that noise stops when those bolts are off, but anyways i would still trade for some aisins
I might have a pair laying around
Old 04-29-2008, 01:32 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 904_runner

http://www.wabfab.org/aisinmanualhubs/aisin.htm
Old 04-29-2008, 01:43 PM

Have you considered putting thread locker on the bolt? They don't put extra parts on these things.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:12 PM
tc
Contributing Member

There is nothing wrong with Warn hubs.

Does it make this sound whether the hubs are locked or not? When you're in 4WD or 2WD?

Sounds like a dry spindle bushing to me ... the answers to the above will confirm it.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by jason191918
They don't put extra parts on these things.
My thoughts exactly...
Old 04-30-2008, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by jason191918
They don't put extra parts on these things.
But someone else can.....maybe a PO??

The bolt is used to pull the end of the CV shaft into the hub body so the c-clip can go on it. This bolt is not shown in the service manual. It needs to be removed before installing the hubs. The noise he is hearing is the bolt head scraping on the inside of the hub or hub gears because its not supposed to be there.

He said the bolt keeps backing out too....thats because its not supposed to be there and when the wheel spins it backs out and falls in the hub
Old 04-30-2008, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by tc
There is nothing wrong with Warn hubs.

Does it make this sound whether the hubs are locked or not? When you're in 4WD or 2WD?

Sounds like a dry spindle bushing to me ... the answers to the above will confirm it.

Well it would make it in either 2wd or 4wd with the hubs lock or unlocked. And soon as i took those bolts out there has been no noise. so i am leaning towards that have being the problem. I also have no clue at all about that bushing

Originally Posted by dirtoyboy
But someone else can.....maybe a PO??

The bolt is used to pull the end of the CV shaft into the hub body so the c-clip can go on it. This bolt is not shown in the service manual. It needs to be removed before installing the hubs. The noise he is hearing is the bolt head scraping on the inside of the hub or hub gears because its not supposed to be there.

He said the bolt keeps backing out too....thats because its not supposed to be there and when the wheel spins it backs out and falls in the hub
Thats what i was thinking about it grinding or scraping on the hub. The hub gears (if thats what their called) stick out just a little bit further than the cv shaft so i think that might be the problem with the hubs.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I replaced my CV's, the bolt was in there. Haven't swapped to manual hubs yet, but the point is, it's s'posed to be in there with that large washer.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:04 PM
tc
Contributing Member

The bushing is where the CV goes through the spindle. If you get the noise with the hubs locked (and either 2WD or 4WD) or with the hubs unlocked and in 4WD, and no noise with them unlocked and in 2WD, then it's likely the bushing.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:12 AM

See but it was making it in 2wd with the hubs unlocked.

Yes i do know that there is no extra parts, but i was trying to find out why it was doing that with the bolt in there but it doesn't do it without it

Quick Reply: Bolt in end of cv?