Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Bolt on aftermarket crossmember?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bolt on aftermarket crossmember?

What are my options? I've seen bud built ones before, do they give much more clearance? I will not be going to a dual case set up in this truck, putting in 4.7 in stock case instead. What are my options? Nothing too crazy, it's my DD
Old 08-26-2013, 11:04 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Just curious why you need one??

What is the end result??

What sort of mount do you plan to use??

Build your own??
Old 08-27-2013, 04:29 AM

There is budbuilt and trail gear. They both give about the same clearance, give you about an extra inch or two.

I believe the main reason for him is for the added protection underneath.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:51 AM

added protection for sure, and some ground clearence would help. being on 31's, im always kitting my stock crossmember and getting hung up on it. the budbuilt one looks BITCHIN', but havent taken a look at the trailgear one yet.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:12 AM

Red face

The Trail Gear ones are only for dual cases .

The Bud built one is for a single case to the tune of $340.00

I have not seen one in person Hard call to make without seeing.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
The Trail Gear ones are only for dual cases .

The Bud built one is for a single case to the tune of $340.00

I have not seen one in person Hard call to make without seeing.
I used a trail gear for a short time with a single case, but I guess no need if not going duals in the future.

I did see that Sky Manufacturing has one that claims to work with a single case as well.

Sky's Skid Plate

Last edited by Cyberman; 08-27-2013 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:32 PM

Thank you for the link. My truck will be SAS'd in the next few months, but I don't want to go with a dual case set up until its no longer my DD. ill check out both sky and bud built.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Steve92yota
Thank you for the link. My truck will be SAS'd in the next few months, but I don't want to go with a dual case set up until its no longer my DD. ill check out both sky and bud built.
Why are you waiting? You can DD with dual cases. I drive to and from the trails, and occasionally drive the truck to work in its current state. Don't want to confuse the matter.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:47 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Many people use the TG plate with single case. Design is very similar to the BudBuilt. I think the only issue with single case is the drain hole. Some people have made a hole, cut a notch, and used a spacer while some people just bolt it up w/o any issues. Then again, how often are you doing the tcase oil? i'd say go for it. I would have one now if it weren't for lack of funds. IMO a new crossmember is a smarter choice than a winch bumper in terms of practical spending for wheeling-specific upgrades if you had to choose one first (since I have xcab break over angles and can usually control what I'm hitting in front of me)
Old 08-27-2013, 08:28 PM

Because its my DD, I don't have time to do that and the only reason I'm doing SAS is because my front end won't hold up. I'm leaning towards the bud built because it looks cleaner. Haven't had time to research it though, and the SAS is my priority.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:57 PM

I don't have another vehicle to fall back on for now, and ill be taking a 3 day weekend to do the front end.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:15 PM

Now leaning towards the TG one after seeing prices of all three of them.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:12 AM

Red face

I really would not want to be doing a SAS under pressure at least the way my luck goes.

Working under a dead line seems to get ugly real quick.Seems to much like work in my younger days

I wish you well
Old 08-28-2013, 01:25 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by highonpottery
Many people use the TG plate with single case. Design is very similar to the BudBuilt. I think the only issue with single case is the drain hole. Some people have made a hole, cut a notch, and used a spacer while some people just bolt it up w/o any issues. Then again, how often are you doing the tcase oil? i'd say go for it. I would have one now if it weren't for lack of funds. IMO a new crossmember is a smarter choice than a winch bumper in terms of practical spending for wheeling-specific upgrades if you had to choose one first (since I have xcab break over angles and can usually control what I'm hitting in front of me)
I got my BudBuilt dual t/c cross member off eBay about 5 years ago. Funny thing is that it was shipped from Trail Gear...Go figure.

OP- I DD my dual case equipped truck..
Old 08-28-2013, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
I really would not want to be doing a SAS under pressure at least the way my luck goes.

Working under a dead line seems to get ugly real quick.Seems to much like work in my younger days

I wish you well
X2

I had a week and pretty much used it all.
Not discouraging though. If you have all the right tools, it's doable .
Old 08-28-2013, 07:16 AM

It's doable. My work is flexible, if I need time ill take it. I'm just not ready for dual cases. I want to put 4.7 in one of my cases when it gets that far anyways. So could I run a dual case x-member with a single case for the time being?
Old 08-28-2013, 07:40 AM

It's doable. My work is flexible, if I need time ill take it. I'm just not ready for dual cases. I want to put 4.7 in one of my cases when it gets that far anyways. So could I run a dual case x-member with a single case for the time being?
My TG crossmember needed some grinding right where the cutout is made for the front drive shaft, to clear the drain plug. Other than that, depending on your rear driveshaft, you might have to make some mods there as well. I have a two piece driveshaft in the rear, so I didn't have any problems there.

The thing to remember is that when you SAS, you need to lengthen your front driveshaft.

Then, when you go duals, you'll need to change the length of both driveshafts.

I was in your place a while ago, and went the same direction. I had a single 4.7 case with stock crossmember IFS, then a year later SAS'd, then a year later put the dual crossmember on briefly before putting dual cases in.

Financially, this was the best way for me, also considering that I have a v6, which requires an extra adapter for the tcase. I basically split the cost in half between upgrades.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:07 AM

My main issue is money. Going to school and working part time doesn't bring me much $ after paying bills which is why It's gonna take me longer than others to get ready for my SAS. I may not even buy a kit though. Might just buy the springs and hanger and all separately if I can find good deals.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:18 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Because its my DD, I don't have time to do that and the only reason I'm doing SAS is because my front end won't hold up. I'm leaning towards the bud built because it looks cleaner. Haven't had time to research it though, and the SAS is my priority.
don't have time to do this? probably 1 min with a cutoff wheel:
Name:  Seatsandx-member001.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  150.6 KB
Name:  Seatsandx-member008.jpg
Views: 1228
Size:  178.2 KB

I'd give yourself some time for your SAS when it happens. a good shop that's done it dozens of times can bust it out in a weekend if they have EVERYTHING on hand and it all goes smoothly, but even then there are other factors depending on what else needs to happen - like prepping the axle for example. i would give yourself at least a week for this. probably easier to just buy a beater car or scooter temporarily so you can get to work, then sell it afterward if truck is your only vehicle.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:36 AM

i was talking about not having time to do dual cases. Is that clearancing for the drive shaft? that looks bitchin... thats the budbuilt x-member? looks pretty damn flat with the frame.

Quick Reply: Bolt on aftermarket crossmember?