Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Blown Motor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 07:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Blown Motor?

Hi:

This is my first post on this forum. I do not have much mechanical skills in repairing toyota pickups. However, I am willing to learn and try to resolve the issues on my 1992 Toyota Pickup base cab with 22RE 2.4L engine, approximately 175,000 miles.

Here is the problem or problems:

When started the pickup, a rattling noise at idling and the noise level rattling sound decreased as I accelerated the gas. Going to the store and there was little power when acclerating. Feels like the toyota pickup is losing power/compression and finally died on me while driving.

Now the pickup does not turn over at all, nothing!! I feared I might have blown the motor and I am not sure what to do. There is some water in the engine crankcase. Do I need to replace the motor/engine? If so, what are the components of the engine do I need to replace? Valve cover, head, engine block, water pump, oil pump, valve guides, timing chains, etc.? What parts on the Toyota pickup can be save and/or use for? I don't want to fall in a trap where buying parts are not needed and ending up wasting money on parts. I am not sure of where to start, either.

These are things I have done so far a few days ago before the toyota finally will not turn over as mentioned above:

1992 Toyota pickup 22re engine 2.4L manual transmission 5 speed
Toyota pickup knocking sound on the engine:
Bad valve lifter?
bad rod bearing?
push Rod bent?
connecting rod bad?
1. Noisy, vibration, rattling issues. Need to find exact noise location and its solution to this issue. I already removed and replaced valve cover gasket.
2. Valves adjustments near the arm rocker had been correctly gapped.
3. Water pump, oil pump and its gaskets are good. No oil or water/coolant leaks.
4. Timing chain is correct on TDC (2 of those), Top Dead Center.
5. Could be timing chain valve guides near the timing chain be worn out and need to be replace.
6. Could be timing chain itself is worn out, loose, etc.
7. Could be oil issues: Replace oil filter and new oil to see if that does the trick in stopping the rattling noise. Too late already for that now.

I did some web searching particularly on ebay in regards to the engine. Some are just engine blocks only. Others are engine repair kits which consist of timing chains replacement kits along with oil and water pump, valve guides, gaskets, etc.. What about a complete engine with engine bloc, cylinder heads, valves, pistons, valve covers, etc? Should that all be replace as well? I also heard valve cover gets warped, too. What about engine compression or the lack of it?

Does anyone out there have similar experiences and willing to share? Any comments/feedback/advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:02 PM

my money is on the chain guide
Old 03-17-2017, 05:02 PM

Timing chain guides gave out and chain broke the housing. Timing off from chain slop causing loss of power. Seen it once a day learned to replace chain and guides and tensioner any time you have to tear it that far down.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:03 PM

By the way, 22r motor has no push rods or lifters.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:33 PM

I believe the guys above are probably right. Do a little research on that topic and inspect.

You said there was water in the oil? How much water? Is it showing way overfull on the stick? Is there oil in the coolant as well?

You said it won't turn over at all. You could pull your plugs and put a wrench on your crank pulley to see if the engine will turn through. If it won't, you may have a lost cause. If it won't turn, or even if it will, take your valve cover off and inspect.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:04 PM

Thanks for the above comments/feedback. I appreciated it. As soon as the rain stops, I will check out them out and report back. Stay tune.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:58 PM

Two titled posts

When I first started this post, I was not sure if it came through. So I did another post with the same title: Blown Motor? Both posts are now listed. Sorry about that. Use the other post from now on for further threads/readings/comments from other forum members..