Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

blowing "ENGINE" fuse

Old 07-17-2008, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[SOLVED] blowing "ENGINE" fuse

I keep blowing my engine fuse. Started about 2 weeks ago and I haven't been able to track it down, although I haven't had much time to check it over.

The first day, it would blow the replacement fuse right away. Then it was intermittent for about a week and a half. I could drive for a couple days or couple hundred km's before it would blow again. Last two days though it's started blowing the fuse immediately again.

I've done a bit of basic diagnostics. When ignition is set to accessory, turn signals work fine. As soon as I put the switch to ON though, fuse blows, even if I don't start the truck.

Hazard lights still work when the fuse is blown, but normal turn signals don't.
I disconnected my rear tailgate plug and that didn't help anything.

Tomorrow I should have some time to start following the circuits. I found in the FSM what systems are behind that fuse so I'm just going to keep on that route.

Anyone have any suggestions or idea's on the subject?

cheers,
rob.

Last edited by mojo4x420; 08-10-2008 at 09:19 AM.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
check the wiring to/from the O2 sensor
Old 07-17-2008, 06:25 PM

your hazard lights are on a dedicated/seperate circuit from the turn signals. thats why you can have hazards on w/o key. The turn signals dont work, but dont blow the fuse? Id say look into plug after the ign switch? or the fuse block? On my truck, the blinkers dont work in ACC but do in ON.

id offer more info, but i have no idea. please keep me/us posted. the FSM and voltmeter are your best friends. goodluck.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:36 PM

wow... still fighting this.... I'm running out of systems to check...

Everything works as normal until I blow the fuse. When the fuse is blown, my turn signals don't work, but my emergency lights still work.

It's hard to test as it's intermittant.... It'll drive fine for an hour or a day and then the fuse will blow. It'll usually blow a new fuse right away at that point, but if I drive home and replace the fuse again everything works fine again. Until of course I'm in the worst possible situation and I lose my turn signals or it's night and my lights drain my battery quickly.

It blows with the rear tailgate stuff unplugged, all the center console switches/heater stuff unplugged, the o2 sensor unplugged, the cluster guage removed...

I've tried shaking every wire I can find and I haven't been able to blow that fuse. Still trying to figure things out but if anyone has any suggestions, greatly appreciated.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
on my old 86 s-10 the fuel pump wire ran from the firewall to the frame and yes over the frame but under the body and every time i hit a bump well every now and then it would blow check and see if there anything like that on your rig you just never know!
Old 08-09-2008, 03:34 PM

I think the problem has been solved! The connector next to the transimission for the reverse light switch had come out of it's holder and the wires were fraying against the metal of the holder.

It's been a few days and no fuse blowing so far. Thanks for all the suggestions.