Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Blazeland lift, need steering parts. Total Chaos heim upgrade?

Old 12-10-2011, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blazeland lift, need steering parts. Total Chaos heim upgrade?

I need steering bits (inner, outer tie rods) and instead of going with stock, was thinking of going with Total Chaos' heim upgrade.

Anyone have experience doing this? I'm assuming that, since the Blazeland kit uses the same axleshaft, it's probably about the right length for the TC parts as well.

It's either $200 in new parts or appx $900 in upgraded parts (includes their monster idler).

At the same time, any place provide better pricing on Total Chaos? So far all I'm getting is MSRP.

Other heim options? (priced DIY, it's appx $300 in parts; not sure it's worth the savings since it is my steering bits, I don't have a left-hand tap, etc.)

Old 12-23-2011, 12:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The steering aspect is a factor that I, TC, and who ever else builds a long arm kit must endure. Knock off and DIY builders be advised. But, if you buy a Blazeland Kit you get the Heavy Duty Hex Bar CNC machined Tie Rod Adjusting Sleeves and jam nuts included in the kit. If you build your own then finding a RH tap and having a custom LH tap and performing the lathe work needs to be factored into the price. Good luck finding the RH/LH jam nuts, those are custom machined as well. Another solution is to buy the heim joint setup or build your own. Either route will be costly. $300 in parts sounds about right and the machine work to build them will be double that. So, $900 for the turn key TC upgrade sounds more attractive now doesn't it. Don't forget you also need to drill out the tapered holes in the Idler and Pitman arms, the Center link, and the steering arms to accept the hardware. This needs to be done in a mill or HD drill press. Keep in mind the heims will not wear hundreds of thousands of miles like the factory rod ends. And if you do break something it might take some time to track down and machine the custom parts. Its not a trip to the local Auto parts store or salvage yard for an inexpensive replacement. Just some aspects to consider!
Old 12-23-2011, 06:13 PM

This is totally a Worn out parts issue.

My concern is breaking a tie rod at speed and the ensuing carnage.

Yeah, I did the math and it wasn't worth the $$ difference to buy the LH tap and make my own.

JD Fab has a killer kit for less than the complete TC kit. After some research, I shouldn't need the whole shebang, just the tie rod/adjuster replacements, so I sprung for the TC heim kit and idler arm. Just picked them up today. Was hoping to install them tomorrow, but I've been put on holiday notice.

I have the big HF mill, so drilling will be cake.

In my case this is only kind of a DD, and the heims bring a lot of comfort as I'm banging through things at speed. Or will be when I get some real shocks and springs on this. I will be looking at a solution to keep the mud out of them because replacement heims are big $$. I like mud.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:19 PM

BTW, loving my Blazeland kit. Amazingly stable on pavement with the 'zuk mod in back i did and the upgraded torsion bars. Shocked how good it is.

The ride offroad is even better.

Found these for the heims.
http://www.sealsit.com/rodendboots.asp

Standard "will it keep mud in like a shock boot and make the problem worse" discussion on the threads I found. But no DATA.
Old 12-25-2011, 12:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sound great! Upgrading the steering componants is an added peace of mind. That TC Idler should be bullet proof. Post some pics!
Old 12-25-2011, 01:51 PM

Yeah Posted some pics.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by edeslaur
Found these for the heims.
http://www.sealsit.com/rodendboots.asp

Standard "will it keep mud in like a shock boot and make the problem worse" discussion on the threads I found. But no DATA.
Any chance you could pack those with grease to minimize the problem?
Old 12-26-2011, 09:07 AM

Keep in mind if you want to make your own tierods, there is another way- buy these weld-in 23mm bungsand some 1" DOM, then get the FJ80 TREs that match them.
http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/index...end-bungs.html
E.g. no machining needed or special tools.

I recently changed over to a combination of FJ80 outers and 3/4" heim inners. Total cost was under $200 IIRC, and I can get replacements from many places.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IIRC when AxleIke went to FJ80 TREs, he had to move the steering box forward. He said that wouldn't be the case with heims. Just something to think about.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:04 PM

Went to the TC idler and heim setup. Works great. Truck now has most off Total stuff on the front, except lower uniballs, center link, and Pittman arm. It works awesome on pavement and dirt.

Thanks for everyone's advice!