86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

big 22RE problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation big 22RE problems

to start off, i went offroading last weekend and my truck started to overheat a couple of times on the trail. so id let it sit to where it was cool enough for me to keep going and it would do fine. after a couple times of doing this i noticed it started to idle lower than normal and slight power loss. so i figured somehow my timing got out of wack so i adjusted to where it idled normally. after wheeling for a few hours i jumped onto the highway to head home and noticed a big power loss, loud ticking and temperature rising. i stopped on the side of the highway and took the valve cover off and noticed that the rocker arms were very loose. maybe a couple thousandths off. i ended up just driving it home for the next hour and a half and the whole way it leaked anti-freeze. not too much but enough to notice smoking. it would also shut off when i put it in neutral. when i got home i changed the oil and checked the anti-freeze and there were no mixing of the two. so no blown head gasket there. i just took it out for a spin and the ticking is still there and much more anti-freeze is leaking. it is coming out of the hose on the overflow tank and is getting everywhere. to wrap it all up, does anyone have any idea why af is coming out of the overflow tank and why my valves rocker arms cam loose?
Old 11-24-2009, 07:30 PM

You more than likely blew a headgasket, and the pressure is getting in your cooling system. Just because there is no oil/coolant mixing doesn't mean it not the headgasket. Pressure test the system and that will tell you where the problem lies.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:32 PM

Overheating is the Achilles heel of the otherwise bulletproof 22RE. There is something critically wrong now. When you fix your engine, I recommend you get rid of the clutch fan if that's what you have and also check your thermostat and flush the radiator. I had an external leak on mine when I bought it and ended up eventually having oil like mocha latte within 8000 miles of driving it that way.

Last edited by Bako88; 11-24-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:48 PM

thanks guys. im just mad because i jut rebuilt the thing. i had about 3000 miles on it and now i have to take it apart all over again
Old 11-24-2009, 07:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
head gasket is no more. get to the tear down!
Old 11-24-2009, 07:55 PM

so what do yall think caused the hg to go? just the heating and cooling?
Old 11-24-2009, 07:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
why do people insist on driving the vehicle dispite it pouring fruids out of it... granted, the damage has been done, but still... I'd much rather have to fix a head gasket, then to have to get a new block after seizing the motor up cause I thought I could make it another 4 miles...

but anyhow, that's just my thoughts, lol

Yeah sounds to me that your head gasket's toast, and is leaking into the coolant system and causing the boiling over. I guess it wouldn't be technically boiling over, but it's actually spilling over because of the pressure from the cylinders entering the coolant system, and the air has no where else to go as the pressure builds
Old 11-24-2009, 08:20 PM

its not like its was gushing af out. it was slow and it was either get someone to tow it for 300 bucks or just drive and fix it for a lower cost.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:26 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by pennywiserawker
its not like its was gushing af out. it was slow and it was either get someone to tow it for 300 bucks or just drive and fix it for a lower cost.
you hope a lower cost, lol

that's what I was getting at

I'm not bashing on you or anything, I was just thinking out loud... or, through my keyboard... or whatever

Old 11-24-2009, 08:30 PM

lol. it was a chance i was willing to take. and if it completely took a crap id do a 1uzfe swap.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:33 PM
Contributing Member

oh well there ya go

sounds like me kinda... I'm liking my rebuilt hopped-up 22re, but if it dies suddenly, a 22re's not going back in it I'm thinking LS1
Old 11-24-2009, 08:35 PM

how much more power did you get out of yours? cause when i first got mine rebuilt it didnt feel much better and i still got the same gas milage. which was 16.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:44 PM

radiator plugged???? and i agree get a electric fan
Old 11-24-2009, 08:45 PM
Contributing Member

considering I went from a tired motor with 296k on it, to a freshly bored, cammed, and over-sized-valves-head 22re, there's was a SIGNIFICANT increase in power... but at the same rate, I was use to my warn out 22re in the begining. And as far as mpg; it varries... typically I'll average 16-18 if I lay into the throttle a lot. But if I'm easy on it, I can easily pull 20+ mpg out of it. I didn't record the mileage, but I just went a week and a half on a tank... and I drive 40 min to work, and 40 min back from work, 5 days a week, and ran some arrands most days, not to mention the weekend, but I took it easy on it, and the fuel can really last...

But with the reworked head, over-bore, RV cam, and header and exahaust, I can almost watch the needle drop and I feel "frisky" and step on the throttle

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 11-24-2009 at 08:47 PM.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:55 PM

mine had over 300k and i changed to a 90k motor and rebuilt the original motor and i didnt feel much drifference with my rebuilt one from the 90k motor.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I imagine you used a poor quality head gasket or installed incorrectly and or prob the head not tourqed right.... did you change the head in rebuild? Have you looked for the leak? Could have just been leaking coolant very small somehwhere then finally enough to cause it to overheat, and when it gets hot enough it can blow the gasket or the head anyway reguardless of quality. The exsesive heat from overheating prob cuased the rockers and valves to loosen up a bit. If your car is ever overheating stop turn it off find leaks. If theres none then check rad, thermostat, water pump, headgasket. Never drive a car that is overheating at all. You prob are not telling to whole story which is ok i don't want to be called stupid either but happens let it out. Never ever drive an overheating car.

Last edited by Kiroshu; 11-24-2009 at 08:59 PM.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:02 PM

the hg came from th engnbldr full gasket kit. a blown head gasket is making a lot of sense to me right now so im going to tear down tomorrow
Old 11-24-2009, 09:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LS1 swap? I don't know about you guys, but I'm totally content with my gutless 22re
Old 11-24-2009, 09:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you check the head for true flatness? You may have a warped head and that can lead to your situation now check the head for flatness when you pull it off if you need to get it milled true. I have the same set up as bleeder for the most part, different cams and piston sizes but with the engnbldr master kit and not one issue so far.

Where in Md. are you? So.Md here maybe I can help you out if your close.

Last edited by olharleyman; 11-24-2009 at 09:32 PM.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:07 PM

This could be a testament to the quality of the D & J Rock products head gaskets, If I ever have to replace mine I know I would definitely go with a Toyota OEM one.

Quick Reply: big 22RE problems