86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Best stock replacement springs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 04:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Best stock replacement springs?

So my stock 1989 runner recently passed smog, so she will be around for at least another 2 years. I am now willing to put a little money into the ride. I figure it is time to replace/do something about the worn out springs. I already replaced the shocks about 5000 miles ago, so they should be ok.

I dont really want to raise the ride height as this is primarily an on road car, but currently i am bottoming out on almost every bump, even at low speed. So my question is who makes the best stock replacement springs. I know a lot of people recommend old man emu, but from what I've seen they raise the truck about two inches. Does this change the on road handling characteristics? Does anyone else have suggestions for smooth riding springs?

I've looked into torquing the torsion bars a bit, but from what I've read im riding about where it should be. It is currently about half way between the upper and lower bump stops when unloaded. Does this sound right?
Old 02-24-2013, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I apparently cannot read, keep scrolling. . .

Last edited by StewsRunner; 02-24-2013 at 05:15 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:12 PM

Received 409 Likes on 263 Posts
Forget about replacing the springs and do the ZUK mod....it is unbelievable how much the ride improves... spend the money you saved on some Bilstein Shocks
Old 02-24-2013, 07:54 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Alignment, Ride height

If your alignment is done properly, and corrected for your height no the characteristics don't change much it just alters the CG a little higher. They should/will/might adjust the caster angle for a raised rear end. If they don't adjust for this it'll be a little more ,shall we say responsive, squirly..

basicly a good alignment shop with give you factory handling, not cookie cutter settings.

ARB, I think it was them atleast, has a good pamphlet explaining spring dynamics. Your local retailer should be able to set you up with a smooth ride with some background on your load and driving style.

All that said I'd have the zuk mod, budget addon coils, already if mine wasn't a 2wd spring under axel. Or air ride adjustable for the classic cadlilac ride.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:16 PM

Thanks for the responses guys,

Alright ill look into doing a zuk mod with 100 lb springs for the rear, as i am usually unloaded. Ill get those springs ordered.

I have the firestone lifetime alignement on this truck because i knew id be messing around with the suspension... but they claimed that the camber and castor were not adjustable on this car, i didn't have time to argue with them, ill come in when i have time to make them do it right... or go to another firestone.

I have 31 inch tires, and the problem with that is in the fsm it tells you to measure from the ground... so my info will be off. Can anyone tell me the about how high off the bottom bumpstop you want to be riding? Ill try adjusting my torsion bars for the mean time (ill have access to more tools in the coming weeks for an actual swap.)
Old 02-24-2013, 11:36 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
The info is in the manual, print out and take with you sa-8(includes chart for camber and caster).
31 tires are listed for some vehicles, a-22 and a-23. If you have problems finding level ground that is a whole other issue.
Front: Difference between the height at center of tip of drive shaft and the height at center of tip of front side adjusting cam bolt, 58.5 mm (2.303 in.)
Rear: Difference between the height of center of rear leaf spring front bushing and the height of center of rear axle shaft, 61.0 mm (2.402 in.)
Sorry not really alot of help I guess, just pointed you back to the book again. I can see why you 4wd guys just measure the fender clearance now.

Ideally the a-arm would be parallel with the ground, this gives the most travel in both directions.

Can anyone tell me the about how high off the bottom bumpstop you want to be riding?
Front rear or both? I can't say for sure soo I'll wander away after this.. It's about 5-6 inches in the rear between bump stops IIRC. Good luck sir!
Old 02-24-2013, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
Front rear or both?
Both would actually be really helpful, I've look high and low and havent been able to find it. I feel this would be an easier way to measure suspension lift to help measure around tires.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:57 AM

Received 409 Likes on 263 Posts
Originally Posted by foppert
Thanks for the responses guys,

Alright ill look into doing a zuk mod with 100 lb springs for the rear, as i am usually unloaded. Ill get those springs ordered.

I have the firestone lifetime alignement on this truck because i knew id be messing around with the suspension... but they claimed that the camber and castor were not adjustable on this car, i didn't have time to argue with them, ill come in when i have time to make them do it right... or go to another firestone.

I have 31 inch tires, and the problem with that is in the fsm it tells you to measure from the ground... so my info will be off. Can anyone tell me the about how high off the bottom bumpstop you want to be riding? Ill try adjusting my torsion bars for the mean time (ill have access to more tools in the coming weeks for an actual swap.)

I used the 120lb springs and don't carry any loads and its a firm/not stiff ride, not mushy or bouncy either......just right.

I think this is actually the springs I used......I fit right over the "snubber"

BLACK MAGIC COILOVER SPRINGS

COILOVER SPRING,2.5" ID X 12" X 120#
COLD WOUND
DOUBLE GROUND ENDS
CHROME SILICON WIRE
RATE PROMINENTLY DISPLAYED FOR EASY ID
UNMATCHED QUALITY
LIFETIME GUARANTEE
PROFESSIONAL RACER'S CHOICE
Part #020-012
Price: $39.99

Last edited by 87-4runner; 02-25-2013 at 11:26 AM.