Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Best place to purchase EGR/PVC hose/breather hose?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best place to purchase EGR/PVC hose/breather hose?

Hi all,

Where is the best source to purchases hoses for these trucks? My dad has asked me to help him locate some hoses for his truck. It is a '94 Toyota 4x4 with the 22RE. I think the hoses he needs are the breather hose (from the valve cover to breather) and I think the other is a EGR hose. I have photos of them and found on one site online for $18.00 and one is $21.00. Not sure if can be found cheaper that that. Thanks so much.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:12 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Myself I buy formed hoses like that at the dealer.

Perhaps they can be had after market but at the time no one close by carried them this is a few years ago and things do change.

Just less hassle for me from my Dealer.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:12 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
best place to purchase is any vendor who has them in stock. you already found one apparently.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:15 AM

Most part places like Auto Zone and Orielys will sell them or you can buy x amout of feet from a spool.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:03 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm
... I think the hoses he needs are the breather hose (from the valve cover to breather) and I think the other is a EGR hose. I have photos of them and found on one site online for $18.00 and one is $21.00. ...
You don't know the names of these hoses (which is fine, that's why you're here.) But you have photos of them, you could have posted them and someone would be (more) likely to help you out. THEN, if you already found what you think are the right ones, you could include a link and give us the part numbers. Why make us guess?

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Myself I buy formed hoses like that at the dealer ...
Yes, that's the only place you're likely to find the right one.

Originally Posted by highonpottery
best place to purchase is any vendor who has them in stock. you already found one apparently.
Uh, he's trying to save some money. And Yotatech is the place to ask questions like that.

Originally Posted by Janos01
Most part places like Auto Zone and Orielys will sell them or you can buy x amout of feet from a spool.
He's looking for formed hoses. Replacing formed hoses with "hose off a spool" will work about 10% of the time. Unless you just don't care.

There are two hoses from the valve cover to the plenum (Hose, Ventilation No. 2, and Hose, Ventilation No. 3). $14.00 and $12.77. http://www.toyotapartsoverstock.com/...rimLevel=18292

The "hose (for EGR Vacuum Modulator)" is $8.01. http://www.toyotapartsoverstock.com/...rimLevel=18292

[That site is a dealer in Florida; I've been happy with them.]
Old 02-07-2016, 04:59 PM

Thanks for all of the above replies. I will pass it along.

Originally Posted by scope103
You don't know the names of these hoses (which is fine, that's why you're here.) But you have photos of them, you could have posted them and someone would be (more) likely to help you out. THEN, if you already found what you think are the right ones, you could include a link and give us the part numbers. Why make us guess?
Thanks. I had taken the photos, but photobucket was being crazy that night I posted this and I could not get the photos uploaded. I was trying to pack and get ready for an out of town weekend trip and it was getting late and just didn't think to go back and post those links. I just thought I would go ahead and post that to see if I could get the ball rolling to see if anyone could quickly tell me a good place for these hoses. At any rate, here are the links to them. I have the photos of my other computer and it is at my aunts house, so cannot try to do that again tonight. Thanks!

Hopefully this will eliminate some of the guess work. I am pretty sure these are the two he needs. Both are frazzled.

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/199.../pcv_hose.html

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/199...ther_hose.html

Last edited by Tennesseestorm; 02-07-2016 at 05:00 PM.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janos01

He's looking for formed hoses. Replacing formed hoses with "hose off a spool" will work about 10% of the time. Unless you just don't care.

There is nothing wrong with getting hose from a spool. Please stop bashing my posts.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:13 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
If you replaced, for instance, this PCV hose:

with (non-formed) "spool" hose, the hose would collapse in the bend, and it would not work. (Alas, I have to admit I know this from actual experience.) So there isn't anything "wrong" with getting hose from spool, it just won't work. (Except in the uncommon case where the otherwise-formed hose is pretty straight. Which I put at about 10% of the time.)

I don't mean to offend; do you consider pointing out an issue with your advice (or just disagreeing with it) to be "bashing"?
Old 02-08-2016, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by scope103
If you replaced, for instance, this PCV hose:

with (non-formed) "spool" hose, the hose would collapse in the bend, and it would not work. (Alas, I have to admit I know this from actual experience.) So there isn't anything "wrong" with getting hose from spool, it just won't work. (Except in the uncommon case where the otherwise-formed hose is pretty straight. Which I put at about 10% of the time.)

I don't mean to offend; do you consider pointing out an issue with your advice (or just disagreeing with it) to be "bashing"?
Honestly, I have no issue being corrected or if people disagree with my advise whether it is wrong or right. It was the way the highlighted statement was worded and the end:

" Replacing formed hoses with "hose off a spool" will work about 10% of the time. Unless you just don't care."

For the example you provided, you are absolutely correct, a formed hose such as that must be replaced by the same thing. Originally I was only offering advice to Tennesseestorm as he was trying to save money.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:45 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

In the long run it would have cost more money

One can use vacuum hose off a roll in fact I do most times.

But one should know what hoses you can get away with.

I have found that to avoid kinking or causing the hose to collapse the hose ends up being 3 or more times the length of the original hose hence if you don`t care!!

If your fine with several feet of additional hose in the engine bay.

I wish I had a picture !!

Then it must be tied up out of the way of all the moving parts and hot parts at least eleventeen cable ties

This is before you crank the engine only to discover one hose pulled off someplace.

Repeat till you get things correct.

Last edited by wyoming9; 02-08-2016 at 01:48 PM.