86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Bed help

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bed help

I have been working on a 87 truck. Basically have built this thing from the ground up. I have replaced the front fenders and hood. With all these new body parts I can not seem to find replacement bed sides. My bed is in fair shape except around the wheel wells. It would not be such a big deal but the new fenders on the front look nice with them flareing out just to have the bed looking that way. So any help on where I can get some replacement bed sides would be great.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:34 AM
Contributing Member

Moved to the 86-95 Trucks & 4Runners Section.

Fink
Old 03-09-2011, 09:46 AM

i think toyotafiberglass.com sells bedsides. not positive on that though.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:21 PM

Yea but they are really high I would like to stay on the cheaper side
Old 03-09-2011, 12:29 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
good luck

i got smashed by a volvo, and ended up just poping the fender out, cleaning it up, and painting it. i can live with it like it is

if you actually want a "cheap" alternative, go to the junkyard and find a bed. if the color's off, take it to a body shop and have them paint it (it would have cost me $800 for just the fenders). and you can't really buy just fenders, because they're (spot) welded onto the whole bed. so replacing them would involve drilling out the old welds, cleaning it up, and welding on the new sides

here's the links to my threads about it

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...d-side-228790/
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post51653591

Last edited by irab88; 03-09-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:23 PM

Thanks for the input irab88 that would explain why I couldn't find any.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:48 PM

I think Wolf Steel has the parts you need. www.alfaparts.net. Found the prices are good as well. They are located in Canada.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by tooleman
Thanks for the input irab88 that would explain why I couldn't find any.
they cost about $350-$400 new from www.toyotapartszone.com, and if you want used ones, they're already mounted on the bed. you'd need to spend time cutting them off a junkyard truck. you can find them, but it seems more trouble than it's worth (to me, anyway. if you have the time and resources, go for it!)
Old 03-10-2011, 04:32 PM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
just a comment ..

but sometimes you guys make me laugh !!

you spent the time to build the truck from the "ground up" .. but yet you want to cheep out on the part that is KNOWN for rust .. ohh I'll just weld some new steel into my crap bed and call er' fixed .. (recommended site above)
I'll bet 1 year down the road , you'll be repairing the bed again .. wasting all the money you spent on paint .. been there done that ..
but live and learn I guess !!

a toyotafiberglass.com bed will last a lifetime .. +

just my 2c

Old 03-10-2011, 07:29 PM

It just seems like a lot of money. I took on this project not knowing how much it would end up costing. Once I get my Internet back up and running I will post some pics of what I started with. I will have to think long and hard about a fiberglass bed. I already bought a new hood and front fenders the rest of the cab is in near perfect shape. I really hate to skimp out on the bed.

Originally Posted by slacker
just a comment ..

you spent the time to build the truck from the "ground up" .. but yet you want to cheep out on the part that is KNOWN for rust .. ohh I'll just weld some new steel into my crap bed and call er' fixed .. (recommended site above)
I'll bet 1 year down the road , you'll be repairing the bed again .. wasting all the money you spent on paint .. been there done that ..

just my 2c

Old 03-10-2011, 07:30 PM

Bed help

It just seems like a lot of money. I took on this project not knowing how much it would end up costing. Once I get my Internet back up and running I will post some pics of what I started with. I will have to think long and hard about a fiberglass bed. I already bought a new hood and front fenders the rest of the cab is in near perfect shape. I really hate to skimp out on the bed.

Originally Posted by slacker
just a comment ..

just my 2c

Old 03-10-2011, 08:31 PM

seriously, if i owned the truck (it's legally my dad's), i would make my own bed. that's also an option
Old 08-11-2011, 07:29 AM

Decided to thread jack a 5 month old thread rather than start a new one:

An issue many of us in the rust belt have is replacing beds. The structure of mine is mostly PT 2x4's (4 cross members underneath - sides/fenders are actually fine). I'd love to find a mint stock bed on clist for 400 or 500 bucks but they don't exist on this side of the country.

I've looked at Toyotafiberglass - but its too far away.

I could fab one but I like the stock look. A rock-crawler style body doesn't, I think, suit a DD rig with relatively small tires.

B+G fiberglass wont respond to emails, their website is full of bad grammar and spelling mistakes, and the telephone number is a home number and I'm pretty sure I was talking to someone's wife who just kept coughing and mumbling. Not saying they don't do good work just seems like kind of a hoakie operation.

I'd like to keep the stock look but I'm hesitant to shell out for a $1600 'economy' bed from B+G. I haul wood and heavy things and I don't know how the'd hold up. Building a custom steel or Al. is an option too.

Anyone have any insight on the fiberglass beds? B+G specifically?
Old 08-11-2011, 07:46 AM

you mean b+g in pensyltucky? yeah, i think they're out of business. i got quoted for a toyotafiberglass bed:

Current pricing as follows:

Fiberglass bed 1895.00 (short bed)
inner walls inc
fiberglass tail gate 450.00
Install hardware kit 29.95
crate 80.00
freight ~400.00 (shipped to business address)
customs/broker 88.00
USA funds conversion 20.00 (bank fee)
and corey is extremely helpful. he gave me so much info on the beds and shipping
Old 08-11-2011, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by vermontoyota

An issue many of us in the rust belt have is replacing beds. The structure of mine is mostly PT 2x4's (4 cross members underneath - sides/fenders are actually fine). I'd love to find a mint stock bed on clist for 400 or 500 bucks but they don't exist on this side of the country.

I could fab one but I like the stock look. A rock-crawler style body doesn't, I think, suit a DD rig with relatively small tires.

B+G fiberglass wont respond to emails, their website is full of bad grammar and spelling mistakes, and the telephone number is a home number and I'm pretty sure I was talking to someone's wife who just kept coughing and mumbling. Not saying they don't do good work just seems like kind of a hoakie operation.

I'd like to keep the stock look but I'm hesitant to shell out for a $1600 'economy' bed from B+G. I haul wood and heavy things and I don't know how the'd hold up. Building a custom steel or Al. is an option too.

Try car-part.com. I found a couple in Mass (not sure if you need a 6 or 7 footer) that may work in that price range.

Glad to see that I'm not the only one who gets skeptical over spelling and grammar mistakes on websites. I know someone's going to get peeved at that statement, but if I were running a business, I'd make sure that someone checked my spelling. Heck, I might even open up a word document to copy, spell check, and paste.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
3k for a bed? holy... well you know what comes next.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by vermontoyota

It upsets me 2 hear that $500 is considered a cheap bed for you guys. I often find them for $150 here in So-Cal with a tail gate rust and dent free for the most part. It makes me want 2 find a low cost freight company 2 get all the solid California yota parts out 2my fellow yota fanatics in the mid west and east coast..
Old 08-11-2011, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by YOTAZOMBIE
It upsets me 2 hear that $500 is considered a cheap bed for you guys. I often find them for $150 here in So-Cal with a tail gate rust and dent free for the most part. It makes me want 2 find a low cost freight company 2 get all the solid California yota parts out 2my fellow yota fanatics in the mid west and east coast..
Do it. I've put so much work trying to preserve my bed, then laying in the back looking at stars with the GF out in our woods last week I lean over to grab my beer and *womfff* my elbow goes through the sheet metal. Depressing!!!!

I bet I could build a nice steel one for $500 in materials plus my time. hard to justify putting the $2k difference into a fiberglass one. Stock look: yes, but for that $2k you're talking winch and locker.... I feel as though the offroad gods may frown on a move like that.

Last edited by vermontoyota; 08-11-2011 at 11:30 AM.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:41 PM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by YOTAZOMBIE
Talk is cheep ..
do it , and start your own company selling toyota beds ..

again .. just my 2C .. but a steel bed is still going to rust , fiberglass one is going to last forever !! ...... so spend wisely !!

Last edited by slacker; 08-11-2011 at 05:42 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:59 PM

hehe... i would like a fiberglass bed, but i just don't have the income. but i know you guys do fantastic work.

Quick Reply: Bed help