Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Battery AFM swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 05:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Battery AFM swap

This is on my sons 1994 pickup wth a 22re. This is a common swap (gains you nothing but the kid is gung-ho about doing it)

We tore into it today to see what it would take and came to a screeching stop when trying to fit a battery tray into the drivers side spot.
There is no provision for a battery tray on the drivers side.

In all of the write ups I have read, (Yotatech, Pirate, TTORA, Toynation, Customtoy etc) no one talks much about the battery tray and the fitment issues. There is a lot of stuff in the way,-- coolant overflow res., power steering lines and a huge wiring harness.
Some guys build a custom tray and that appears to be the only good fix.

We could jury rig a tray in the spot but the battery is basically unsupported and at best not level. My concern is the battery breaks the inner fender and/or rips out of the mount.

Checking to see if anyone has any hints could be passed along or what lessons were learned
Thanks
Old 01-04-2013, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
check put my build thread you can see how my battery tray is. I built it from just a piece of 3/4 angle I had lying around. You can build it so it's level and use the old mounts for the air filter. The Wiring is not to hard depending if you just want to unwrap and rewrap the wireloom. With the new battery tray you can use make it strong enough so you don't have to worry avout it breaking through anything.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:51 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
This thread has the pictures you seek.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...e-swap-220884/

This post shows a plastic(?) after market tray, note the large fender washers used on both side of the sheet-metal.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...l#post51563964

This one appears to be sans-tray, with a heavly reinforced J hook for the battery tie down.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116.../#post51559071

In short just wedge it in and bolt it down. Make sure you have large washers on each side of the sheet metal, to lessen the chances of tearout. For leveling you can get metal sleeves at the hardware store, or use a handfull of washers/nuts.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:12 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Now this swap is needed on the 3.4 swap .

I am lucky Deka Battery (East Penn Manufacturing) they make a nice plastic tray for less than $ 5.00

I can see where some fabricating of the inner fender is gonna be needed to make the battery sits level and low enough to clear the hood. At least the battery of choice for me.

In this case whoever did the original swap of the engine a few years ago kinda sort just cheapped out and stuck the battery in with no fore thought and the hook from the rough North eastern roads pretty much just ripped the sheet metal causing the battery to slide into the spinning fan.

The last owner of the vehicle was the jiffy lube type so doubtful if this issue was seen by the jiffy lube people who also checked the air in the tires.