86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Ball Joint Spacers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ball Joint Spacers?

I was thinking about getting some 1.5 in spacers for my 93 pickup. I know you have to trim the upper control arm to fit them, but what else do you have to do? Would i need new shocks or brakes lines or anything? Any info would be awesome
Old 04-22-2010, 03:18 PM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
Do some searching, don't just post new threads on topics that have been covered.

But welcome to YT!
Old 04-22-2010, 03:27 PM

Yea its been covered before, however just to let you know you will need new shocks eventually. The only hard part would be the grinding of the upper arm but that aint to bad.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:29 PM

Alright thanks i guess i do have to figure out how to use this site.. hah
Old 04-22-2010, 03:30 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Love the avatar pic
Old 04-25-2010, 08:32 AM

I would recommend new shocks.. also if you have a saggy rear end.. or possibly even if you don't... your front might be taller than the rear.

When I did my 1.5" spacers I did new shocks all around and new coils in the back. I love the way it looks and rides now.

The kit was about $500. If you want I can find the kit again for you.. the site I bought it from had amazing customer service and bundled the BJ spacers, coils and shocks all in one kit.. cheaper than buying separate.

If you go with only the spacers.. really other than grinding the UCA.. all you'll need to do is get an alignment before you drive more than a few miles. Seriously.. your front end will be pretty jacked up after the spacers are installed and you can look at your tires head on and see them angled pretty bad. If you don't do that ASAP you'll ruin your two front tires within a few miles.

Though not necessary.. I would highly recommend putting manual locking hubs on to replace your ADD. I only had the spacers on for about 3 weeks before I tore both front axle's CV boots. If you don't know already the new ride height puts a sharper angle on your CV axles and your ADD hubs are constantly locked so your axle is always turning. This causes more stress on the retarded invention we call CV boots. They are easily replaceable and cheap if you do it yourself but who wants to do that? The solution... Manual locking hubs. Under 100 bucks and super easy to install yourself.

Last edited by devldogs55; 04-25-2010 at 08:36 AM.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:33 AM

Yea good call, you definately need the alignment. I did see on here somewhere where thay said once you install your ball joint spacers you should adjust your alignment your self only enough to get it in the ball park for two reasons one to get you to the alignment shop without trashing your tires and second so when the minimum wage cookie cutter alignment guy looks at your rig and starts scratching his head it wont be so out of wack. Good points on the shocks and springs, Im doin the spacers too and Im gonna try to get away without doing anything to the rear I already have the lift coils and dont mind if the front sits up a little, but yea difinately some front shocks.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:47 PM

Yeah i def know i'll need an alignment, i was actually just going to do the spacers and replace my torsion bars at the same time, because those are worn out. But what i was thinking of doing is putting in the spacers, and then keeping the bars at stock or lower height, so the truck is level, but the ride is better. Right now my bars are cranked and it rides like crap. My rear end is actually high, i don't know why haha but it is. What do you guys think of my idea?
Old 04-25-2010, 04:59 PM

oh, and devldogs55 it says you have a cherry vortex, do they sound good? i just put a thrush turbo in my truck and it sounds like a rice burning pos. i need a new muffler
Old 04-25-2010, 05:13 PM

I think you have a good idea... Do a search on aftermarket t-bars... some report a stiffer ride than new OEM t-bars. Either way if they are worn... put new ones on and crank em down it might work depending on how much you can turn em down.

I love the vortex... it took about 2 months to finally give the deep throaty sound I wanted but it is all I wanted and more.

This is a video the day I got it home from the shop... so it still is a bit higher pitched than it turned out to be in the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGUrNgTgNN8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqTDgo_HA2U

a quick youtube search will show you other people's as well
Old 04-25-2010, 05:13 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
caperust, alot of guys put in the bj spacers, then relax the bars afterwards.. you get more articulation out of the front that way
Old 04-25-2010, 05:24 PM

Awesome thanks, i think saw bars have a higher rate, which is good if you're running a heavy bumper or winch.. but im just going to hit up the junk yard. I think i'll order them wednesday when i get paid, and a new muffler.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:10 PM

Good luck be sure to let us know how it goes