86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Bad OBD Port?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad OBD Port?

I have 94 4runner that won't start. no click no lights nothing. When checking battery and wires i saw the OBD Port and it looks burnt. Could this diagnostic part be the problem?
Looks difficult to replace.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:40 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Probably not. But yeah, if you have a short-to-ground somewhere, it can run down the battery eventually.

Judging from the dirt on parts next to the port, it just looks like you've got dirt on the dielectric grease, not burnt.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:25 AM

Received 346 Likes on 215 Posts
Hard to tell if it's burnt or just discolored grease. They all came greased to prevent corrosion but a couple of those sockets do look a bit darker. Try cleaning it up with some brake parts cleaner and a toothbrush to see what's what.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:53 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Test it

Test with a ohm meter for shorts. You can release it via the clip to flip it over to gain access from the backside. But, I'm not aware of any shorts here that could cause a no start issue.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:23 PM

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
You have 100% nothing for lights or anything (dome etc?). Sounds like the master fuse or fuse-able link might be blown. Check your fuses in the engine by. Some times they go bad on their own too, I picked up a 98 T100 that had the 100amp fuse blown, but it wasn't burnt apart, just broken. Was weird, threw in another one (80 amp, all i had), and hasn't blown yet and it's been a couple months. There are a couple of relays that also switch on with the ignition, but pretty sure the dome light should still work w\o them working. Also make sure the bulb isn't blown and the door switch isn't junk (try the other door too).

I'm not at my computer with my wire diagrams, but the two relays I'm talking about are AM1 and AM2. Could check them for power if you have a multi meter or a test light (remove and probe each of the pins they plug into). Pretty sure the 80 or 100amp fuse and the fusable link before them in the diagrams, so no power should be around that area. Of course bad battery connection, terminals, dead battery etc could cause it too.

For the diag port, I'd say clean it, double check the plastic isn't burnt (doesn't look like it) and put new dielectric grease on it.