Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Bad bearing in a 5 speed

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad bearing in a 5 speed

I have a bad bearing in my transmission. I think it is the bearing on the input shaft.
It only makes noise when the clutch is engaged and only in 1st 2nd 3rd and 5th gear. 4th gear is silent.
I had plans to get a used transmission, install it and then rebuild mine, possible with an MC HD rebuild kit. I haven't ever rebuild a transmission but I am very mechanically inclined. I am looking at this rebuild as a learning experience for me.
Money is tight right now so I was wondering if I can just replace the bad bearing/s?
To get the bad bearing out will I be so far into the tranny that I should just rebuild it or can I just done the one bearing?
Old 12-03-2008, 05:05 PM
Contributing Member

somebody on here rebuilt their w56, and said that it was such a pain in the butt, they would just buy a trans next time. there are write ups either here or over on pirate. i hate the way the 5th gear bearing is so far out on the w56 shaft compared to the 151 trans, where everything is all close and no stress on the 5th gear bearing. good luck
Old 12-03-2008, 05:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've rebuilt a w56 once........once. It a PITA and it was expensive. You need a press too. You are better off just finding a used one or if you prefer Marlin crawler sells rebuilt ones at a reasonable price.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
mechanically inclined or not, rebuilding a transmission is not terribly difficult, but it's not for the faint of heart either.
It's not like rebuilding an engine where you only have a handful of moving parts. Everything in a transmission moves.
It's very easy to get frustrated and miss things. And then there's the clearances and such that have to be adhered to as well.
Unless you are going to rebuilding the transmission and already own all the tools necessary, I don't recommend you do anything to it, except exchange it.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:19 PM

My W55 was rebuilt in June at 155,000 miles. I think the rebuild kit is the same as a W56.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f115...ission-106436/

Note that in some places I said 5th gear bearing, then mainshaft bearing. It was the mainshaft bearing that was bad and the input shaft bearing was also starting to go.

I also had no noise in 4th. That is because it is direct drive. Noise was loudest in 5th because there is more load on the mainshaft bearing.

A rebuild kit includes all the bearing, seals, syncros, and gaskets. You want a kit with Japanese bearings. If you are going to open up the transmission replace everything.

For a rebuilt unit you can try ths place in WA. http://www.tbtrans.com/manual_transmission.htm No experience with the company but I came accross it at a time was unable to find a local person to rebuild my transmission.

Or visit Manjit in San Jose who rebuilt my transmission. That is about all he does.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:04 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
i've also got a bad input shaft bearing in my yota. going to send it back to the shop to get it taken care of - definitely something that would require some skills that i lack. took it to shop last october for the same thing but it was worse then, sounded like i had a turbo it was whining so bad. had the same whine in 1, 2, 3, and 5th gears as well as "marbles" in the tranny in neutral with the clutch engaged. they swapped in a reman. unit and said the old input shaft was all chewed, too. got a free clutch job with the $1500 i spent.

unfortunately it wasn't the end of the problem because i had to take it back in feb because 5th gear was buzzing - must have been the mainshaft bearing tool pants was referring to. and now my input bearing is making noise again...good thing i took it back in feb because they restarted the warranty and i've only put 7800 miles on it. not sure what's causing this type of issue maybe misalignment? regardless, going to be taking it in asap.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:14 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
just wanted to update on this subject for future searchers -> yeah right. just got my truck back from tranny shop today(The Clutch Mart). took it back because input noise was coming back a little bit and warranty was ending soon. i guess the tech who was rebuilding it decided to do a complete teardown to figure out what was goin' on. he said he was stumped on it and so was everyone else. he sent back a different core with a complete rebuild inside and told the shop to give me a 2yr warranty on it because there was still faint input noise at idle and they couldn't figure out what would do that. they also decided to put in some royal purple synthetic to see if the thicker stuff would help quiet the input noise. hopefully it won't come back and if it does i'm not sure what would cause this. got any ideas?