86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Back window will go down but not up

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back window will go down but not up

Before I begin, I know there is another thread with virtually the same title but his issue was different.

My truck is clean and has virtually no issues except for the tailgate. Today the window went down but not up from the front console button. So, I took off the tailgate paneling and hooked up a 12v power source directly to the motor. It worked in both direction, albeit poorly probably because it was laying down at the time and not in the vertical position.

Next, I hooked up a new rear window motor I have to the power source from the front switch and it worked only in the down direction. Also, I only hear the relay "click" in the down position and nothing for up.

So in summary. Rear window motor works in both directions. Front console switch only works in down position. Up position does not work from front console switch. Window motor is in working condition. Voltmeter shows 12 volts when down position is pushed on the switch, shows no volts when in the up position.

My conclusion: something has broken the circuit disallowing the front console switch from moving the window to the up position. This break is from the switch to before the motor somewhere.

If this matters, the window has been moving very slowly lately so maybe something burned up. I definitely need to lubricate some of the mechanism.

Where should I start?

Thank you.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...runner-137193/
Trying this. The part is Sanyou SRD-S-112D and ebay has a ton for about $2 each.

Last edited by Just_ Rollin'; 07-09-2014 at 03:54 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:14 PM

There is a relay component behind the back panel on the drivers side.
You can remove the stow compartment to get to it.
Its 3x4" box.
Sometimes it can be moisture has gotten to the connector, But more likely the up relay has gone bad.
There are 3 ways to take care of it, 1. Buy another, 2. open the relay and make sure the contacts are clear and clean, 3. swap the relay with one of the others (Not the down relay).

BTW, Where at in So. Cal?

Last edited by Punchy; 07-09-2014 at 06:16 PM.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:57 PM

Could also be a bad switch. My cousin had the same problem until I swapped it with the same year pocket junkyard item.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:47 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by KingsShadow
Could also be a bad switch.
Yes, O.P. never mentioned if he tried the tailgate switch

Originally Posted by Just_ Rollin'
Where should I start?
Start by testing simple things first that are inexpensive to fix IF really defective.
Try if the tailgate key switch works

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 07-11-2014 at 08:51 PM.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:00 PM

Also check the driver window switch. Everything gets routed through there first. The window lock. Check the loom in the door jam for broken wires also. I had broken wires in my loom that prevented a window from working.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it's not the switch, I'd suspect the relays...and there is another pretty easy and cheap fix nobody's mentioned yet. The size of the relay box and exact layout may be different, but the pin pattern on each small relay is the same(I've done this on my '90 Runner's relay module and also taken apart a spare for an '87 or '88 that Chefyota4x4 had laying around to confirm the pin pattern is the same)

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f128...runner-137310/
Old 07-12-2014, 10:36 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

While changing out relays on the window relay is a good idea I feel something like that might just be a bit to much for some.

removing parts from the board without getting to much heat effecting other parts can get real frustrating

Unless you solder on a regular basis.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
While changing out relays on the window relay is a good idea I feel something like that might just be a bit to much for some.

removing parts from the board without getting to much heat effecting other parts can get real frustrating

Unless you solder on a regular basis.
Right on there. Although almost all Toyotas are plug and play. I've never had to replace a relay before. Just fuses. I have taken parts off many second gens and used them on my 94. My distributor is off a 1990. Starter from a 1995 and driver window switch from from a 91. It still runs like a champ. I am very knowledgable on the 3vze engine.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:57 AM

We're getting ahead of ourselves. Keep it simple. O.P. never mentioned if he tried the tailgate switch.
Let's wait for his reply.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:31 PM
osv

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Just_ Rollin'
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...runner-137193/
Trying this. The part is Sanyou SRD-S-112D and ebay has a ton for about $2 each.
for the record:

http://www.newark.com/omron-electron...30?ost=35K4530

is what i used on my '86, a couple of weeks ago, they are a $1.44 each... just do 'em all.

my rear window works perfectly, but the switch on the console down side doesn't work.

you can ring the switch and wiring out, by plugging an ohmmeter lead into the correct relay plug hole, on the harness side, with the other lead on the other side of the switch... in other words, the relay isn't hooked up at all, you are testing for a short... that will tell you if the switch and the wiring to the relay box are connecting.

i'm getting this weird clicking/bad connection situation with the console switch... i hate the way that toyota didn't put in a simple mechanical crank, like the old station wagons used to have.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:43 AM

By "tailgate switch" do you guys mean the key switch....like stick the key in and rotate left or right? Well, it always works in the down position and sometimes works for the window going up too, but usually not. I tried replacing the relays manually and that didn't work. I then purchased a used window module from ebay and that doesnt work either. So, not sure where to go from here. How do I check the "switch" for the tailgate? I just see the key plugged into a wire.

I did the timing belt on this thing but I am STUPID with electronics so bear with me, I just recently learned what a relay is. :-)
Old 07-23-2014, 04:59 AM

The rear window switch is located in the center console in the cab. Between the front driver and passenger seats. With the window not going up except for once in a while, I would check the harness from the door to the truck. Look for any broken wires and repair as necessary. Meaning open up that plastic/rubber shielding around the wires and search for breaks.

Last edited by KingsShadow; 07-23-2014 at 05:02 AM.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:48 AM

Oh, the actual up/down button. OK. That switch always worked until recently. The key switch on the actual rear tailgate always worked down and seldom up (more like never up). I will pull that switch out from the center console and see what is what.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:23 AM

First things first:
  • You did the motor test well, but do his one step at a time.
  • Find a schematic of your window control system and opst it here.
  • Stop buying things thinking it will fix the problem. And how sure are you that the module from Ebay is really good? now you have two things to test; your Ebay module and your still broken window control system

Also why don't you thoroughly inspect the wire harness where it flexes between tailgate and body for broken wires?

My conclusion: something has broken the circuit disallowing the front console switch from moving the window to the up position. This break is from the switch to before the motor somewhere.
But you also said you never hear the relay click in up position. So there is no power going to motor in the first place.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 07-23-2014 at 08:18 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:40 PM

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
My console switch only put the window down. Would not put it back up. Try cleaning the switch. There are threads somewhere on here. I'm too lazy so I got a used switch off eBay and it works fine now.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:49 AM
osv

Originally Posted by Nervo19
My console switch only put the window down. Would not put it back up. Try cleaning the switch. There are threads somewhere on here. I'm too lazy so I got a used switch off eBay and it works fine now.
you got lucky

don't buy until you troubleshoot first... using the same paper clip that you use to check engine codes, you can jumper the console switch plug, on the wire end... just unplug the console switch, and jam the paper clip in the plug momentarily; listen for clicking at the relay box.

you can also bypass the console wiring entirely, and short the console window connections directly at the relay box, but even that didn't work for me... yet the rear window switch works perfectly in both directions.

http://4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/...RearWindowTips

i also tried his "Simple fix is to just jumper the two sets of inputs together", which eliminates the key being on, before the console switch can operate... it didn't help with my console switch down not working.

for the last couple of years, i had a dp/dt switch wired directly on the relay box, but that finally quit working as well

after that, i replaced all the relay switches, which fixed the rear window switch, but still no console down, and the dp/dt switch still doesn't work, lol

Last edited by osv; 07-24-2014 at 09:06 AM.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:51 PM

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by osv
you got lucky
don't buy until you troubleshoot first...

What do you mean? OP already owns his 4Runner. My point was I had the exact same symptoms. Key worked up and down. Console switch only put it down. The motor wasn't getting power to roll it up. The solution was either take the switch apart and clean it or buy a junkyard switch, which may or may not have the same issue. I think my new/old switch cost $15. I didn't have to take the tailgate apart. Why would anyone not buy a 4Runner just because the window won't roll up or down?
Old 07-24-2014, 04:04 PM
osv

Originally Posted by Nervo19
Why would anyone not buy a 4Runner just because the window won't roll up or down?
who said anything about buying a 4runner? you said that you bought a switch from ebay
i said that you got lucky, that it was actually a switch problem.

because it wasn't a switch problem for me.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:44 PM

OK everyone. It was the console switch. After pricing them on ebay I figured I would tear mine apart and see what was what first since it was going to be replaced anyhow. I noticed one of the contacts was brown....so I hit it with a wire wheel on the dremel and it shined up instantly. Works great now. The rear window is still a bit sluggish but I greased it up with silicone spray and it is a bit quicker. I also put in my old module with the new relays I soldered in and it works so the ebay module can go back, less shipping charges.

Thanks everyone!
Old 07-26-2014, 04:06 PM

So now that that works, why would putting the key in the tailgate work in only one direction. Same issue? Corroded contact on one side of the lock assembly?

Quick Reply: Back window will go down but not up