Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Back up lights not working

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back up lights not working

Hey all,

I have done quite a bit of googling the last few days and have read the relevant threads on many websites.
As the title suggests, the backup lights on my 1989 3vz-e 4wd are not working. The PO had done an engine swap with a 95.

I couldn't find any switch coming out of the transmission. my hunch is that it never got wired in after the swap.

does anybody have a picture of where the switch should be?

also,where the wire is supposed to come out of the wiring harness so i can wire in a manual switch.

thanks!!
Old 01-19-2017, 05:12 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Under the truck near the middle front quarter.

Well we need more information if you want a more specific answer. You forgot to tell us what transmission you have and had.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:09 AM

My bad.

5 speed.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:57 AM

is it the original transmission? W, G, or R series?

is it the original transmission? W, G, or R series?

Link
​​​​​
​​​​​
on the W series (w56) located near the middle just behind and above the fill plug.

Transmission harness runs down from the opposite side at the front of the engine bay I believe on an 89.

PS , reverse lights are more so a safety feature than a convenience item. They are there to indicate to other people you are reversing, if they were intended for the driver to see with they wouldn't suck so much.. (subtext: do not put them on a toggle switch please)

Last edited by Co_94_PU; 01-19-2017 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Forgot to give directions.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:01 AM

I have the same problem in my '94 4X4 V6 Manual Pickup. They used to work but no longer come on. I changed the lights and there is no blown fuses. Any ideas? Thanks
Old 01-19-2017, 10:49 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by '94 4X4 Yota
I have the same problem in my '94 4X4 V6 Manual Pickup. They used to work but no longer come on. I changed the lights and there is no blown fuses. Any ideas? Thanks
Did you find your reverse switch on transmission?
Did you inspect it for broken wires, broken parts or dirt/grease?
Do you have a multi-meter?
Let's see what you find.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:56 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

You do know most people seeing back up lights go on are clueless just why there are on.

What is wrong with a toggle switch all my vehicles have them it was an easy way to also wire up the Back up Alarm
Old 01-20-2017, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
You do know most people seeing back up lights go on are clueless just why there are on.

What is wrong with a toggle switch all my vehicles have them it was an easy way to also wire up the Back up Alarm

*Shrug* I'm well A push over some might say.. I prefer taught better.. indicator lights aren't suggestions.. If my backup lights are on and you don't have the right of way I'm running you over.. if my turn signal is on I AM coming over five seconds later unless your front bumper is ahead of mine, if I look over and see a fender I AM coming over when your rear bumper clears my frontend..

One of my first driving experiences was on the border from Juarez, waaaay back in the day. That line would stretch for a mile or more and the only way you would ever get in or across "Blvd of the Americas" or change lanes was by wedging your bumper between the two bumpers next to you.

"Right lane ends 1/4 mile. Use both lanes, until merge." That means stay in your lane, when the last sign comes up and the lane finally ends. We take turns, one from the left one from the right just like a stop sign "you go, I go" if you pulled out from behind me into a gap and try to cut back. Yeah no, I'll be kissing the bumper in front of me and glaring at you and you better have more border crossings than me and know your are going to have to hit my bumper to get in.

Anyways, I guess the heart of the issue is someone forgetting to hit that backup switch. I've been hit by a couple of cars, and that sort of crud..

I should probably get a backup buzzer too.

I had some lady almost drive up under me yesterday trying to zip around at an intersection with out signalling after I'd signalled I was changing lanes for the upcoming turn. If I had bumpers I might have let her, I could use the insurance for bodywork and stuff.. lol
Old 01-20-2017, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by '94 4X4 Yota
That's not "the same problem", it's a similar problem.

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Did you find your reverse switch on transmission?
Did you inspect it for broken wires, broken parts or dirt/grease?
Do you have a multi-meter?
Let's see what you find.
You'll want to check for power at the lamp socket. If you have power you have the bulb in wrong, a bad bulb or the wrong bulb. No power proceed to check the socket for corrosion and damage. No damage, no corrosion, and no power proceed to testing the rest of the system. Inspect the plugs on the transmission, all firm tight and clean. Next identify which is the reverse light switch. Does it have power on one terminal, and does the other wire have continuity to the lamp socket. If so test the switch, does it change from open to closed circuit when the shifter is put in in reverse. If not it needs removed cleaned and retested and maybe replaced. If you don't have power at the switch, or continuity to the lamps you need to chase that wire for damage.