Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Is this axle wrap?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 07:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question Is this axle wrap?

I've been trying to figure out what this bucking slop in the drivetrain is. I've replaced the motor and trans mounts, working my way back, and now I'm to the axle. I just read about axle wrap and watched some videos on youtube demonstrating it, and I think that's what the problem is, but I'm not sure.

So I decided to strap a camera to my gas tank's skid plate and go for a test drive. After reviewing the video, I can see that the axle is definitely twisting, but I don't know if it's within normal tolerances. Either way, I can now visualize what's happening. There is a gap between the lowest leaf, which is pretty flat, and the upper leafs, which are curved together. The axle only seems to be twisting until the lower leaf closes the gap and makes contact with the leaf above it. It only manages to close the gap under high torque, like in 1st and 2nd gear at full throttle. At this point, I don't get any bucking at all.
However, when I'm not applying enough torque to close the gap, such as when I'm in higher gears at highway speeds (usually going uphill), I get bucking. I think this is coming from the axle rocking back and forth as the lower leaf isn't making contact and isn't helping to support anything.

I've uploaded two snapshots from the video. The first is when I'm at a stop, and the other is when I'm at full throttle in first gear.
Is this beyond the proper range of movement? You can see how far the driveshaft is being lifted.

This is an '88 22re 5-spd 4wd.
Attached Thumbnails Is this axle wrap?-01-stopped.jpg   Is this axle wrap?-02-1st-gear-full-throttle.jpg  
Old 02-20-2017, 07:54 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I can't see springs in pic to say anything about them.

The pinion pushing up under acceleration is common and to be expected, but only a couple degrees. That doesn't look bad to me.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:20 PM

You can see the gap in the springs that I'm referring to at the right edge of the photos.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by ShadowTek
You can see the gap in the springs that I'm referring to at the right edge of the photos.
i'll repeat. I can't see enough of springs to say if bent, or overload spring on a flat pack.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:12 PM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
Also agree, looks normal. What kind of "bucking slop" are you experiencing?
Old 02-21-2017, 01:42 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
His pinion to propshaft angle is almost inverting 100%.. I can't measure it on this, but I'll make up angles.. from 165 to 190

Can(would) you pull another frame that shows it while engine braking please?

Last edited by Co_94_PU; 02-21-2017 at 02:36 PM. Reason: One to many pinions
Old 02-21-2017, 02:19 PM

The bucking feels like some really big dude is pushing and pulling really fast on the back of the truck while I'm driving, occurring mainly when I'm cruising at highway speeds, usually uphill, but it isn't related to a certain speed It's only when I'm on the gas. It stops as soon as I let off the gas. It isn't the engine doing it though. I have a new clutch kit, new mounts,and everything back to the rear differential has been apart and back together recently, so I know everything is fastened to proper torque, and it was doing it before all that anyway. I don't see anything that looks loose.

I have a noticeable exhaust leak, so I don't have a whole lot of engine braking effect to speak of. I'll see if I can cut a short video of my last ride.

Here's some photos of the springs.
Attached Thumbnails Is this axle wrap?-01a-driver-side-leaf.jpg   Is this axle wrap?-01b-driver-side-leaf.jpg   Is this axle wrap?-02a-passenger-side-leaf.jpg   Is this axle wrap?-02b-passenger-side-leaf.jpg  
Old 02-21-2017, 05:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
"The bucking feels like some really big dude is pushing and pulling really fast on the back of the truck while I'm driving, occurring mainly when I'm cruising at highway speeds, usually uphill, but it isn't related to a certain speed It's only when I'm on the gas. It stops as soon as I let off the gas."

I had these symptoms before and it turned out to be a cracked flywheel and a sheared gear in the rear end. Not sure which problem caused the other failure.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:22 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
also might want to check your ujoints. if its binding, it could be causing the issues.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:03 AM

I was worried it might be the flywheel which is why I went ahead and did the clutch kit, but the flywheel was fine, and all the bolts were tight.

Here I've cut a video of me taking off on the highway.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:28 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
Some axle adjustment is to be expected on takeoff. I've never noticed axle wrap issues on a 22r/22re/v6 truck, what so ever. But it's pretty bad on my 67, even with aftermarket leaf springs and an under axle setup.

I had axle wrapping issues on my 4Runner when it had chevy 63s and 4" of block, but once i swapped to ALL pro springs with no blocks, The issue was resolved.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:38 AM

Might be road surface, or a bit much pinion jump for a take off. U-joints???
Old 02-22-2017, 06:34 PM

i already suggested that.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by space-junk
i already suggested that.
Ain't you a peach~ didn't see it before so....

x2 on what he said
Old 02-22-2017, 08:12 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
I'm gonna go with some worn out leaf springs causing wrap. You can try some add a leafs or spring helpers, but those may only be temporary.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:28 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Yes this is axle wrap.

Notable damaged spring packs, strike one.
Notable double recurve at rest, strike two.
Surging due to spring tension letting loose bad enough you got concerned enough to research the causes, strike three!

Get new springs.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by muddpigg
Ain't you a peach~ didn't see it before so....

x2 on what he said

finally beat you to the punch on something. i want my gold star now.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by space-junk

finally beat you to the punch on something. i want my gold star now.
Sweet!!
Old 02-23-2017, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
Notable damaged spring packs, strike one.
What's notable damage? I don't know anything about leafs.
I see that the edges of two of those C-clamp looking things that are bent out. I guess that's from too much separation of the leafs from over-travel?

There's no play in either of the flanges of the transfer case or rear differential. The front U-joint has no play. The rear U-joint has a slight hair's-worth of play. I don't think the rear U-joint is a problem, but I'll replace it anyway.

I went to a few local auto-parts stores to check prices. Looks like add-a-leafs are about half the cost of new springs. Seems like the smart money would be on new springs with new bushings.
The only place that could get complete springs was Oreillys, and all they could get is Pro Comp 33311. Those springs are listed as "4 inch lift", and judging by the threads I read on this forum, they sound like they're 4 inches of lift in addition to stock hight. So I guess that's not what I need. I'm happy with stock hight and 31" tires.
Funny that nobody around here can get stock springs.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by ShadowTek
What's notable damage? I don't know anything about leafs.
I see that the edges of two of those C-clamp looking things that are bent out. I guess that's from too much separation of the leafs from over-travel?

There's no play in either of the flanges of the transfer case or rear differential. The front U-joint has no play. The rear U-joint has a slight hair's-worth of play. I don't think the rear U-joint is a problem, but I'll replace it anyway.

I went to a few local auto-parts stores to check prices. Looks like add-a-leafs are about half the cost of new springs. Seems like the smart money would be on new springs with new bushings.
The only place that could get complete springs was Oreillys, and all they could get is Pro Comp 33311. Those springs are listed as "4 inch lift", and judging by the threads I read on this forum, they sound like they're 4 inches of lift in addition to stock hight. So I guess that's not what I need. I'm happy with stock hight and 31" tires.
Funny that nobody around here can get stock springs.
you can order. Depending on where you live parts can be hard to find. It's a surprise here if they carry even common parts like brakes, Toyota had to order order oil filters. Amazon is a friend. I'd be Leary of any aftermarket spring so research. Stock length lift springs suck ride and flex wise. Do some research on springs and whatever you get verify length.