Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Automatic Transmission Vacuum lines???

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Automatic Transmission Vacuum lines???

I have a 1991 4Runner V6 and I am having a big problem with my tranny. It is constantly slipping and occasionally will not down shift, although the downshifting problem is getting worse.

Fluid level is fine....
Dumped half a quart of TransX.....nothing

The "O/D OFF" light flashes sometimes....and when it flashes is when it shifts from first to over drive. What does it mean when the Overdrive off light flashes?

Yea....try accelerating on a freeway on-ramp at 15 miles per hour in overdrive!...lol sucks!

Manually shifting is where I am at now...

I don't know that much about automatic transmissions and am new to Toyota and 4x4's alone. My dad said to look for a vacuum line that popped off...I have...could not find one.

Is there vacuum lines??? If so, can I get a picture or directions to find them? Any other Ideas? I would really appreciate it! I am tired of getting passed by mini vans and semi-trucks...lol

Last edited by Aircrwman; 01-27-2009 at 10:04 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:10 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
No vacuum lines, the transmission is controlled by the ecu. Sticking solenoids can cause some problems with shifting. E.g if the #2 solenoid is not working the trans will shift into O/D when the lever is in D.
The flashing O/D light means the computer has stored trouble codes, it's kind of like a CEL for the trans.
I have the mauual from a 95, if you want I can email you the trans section. It should be the same A340H that your 91 uses. It has the procedure for retreiving the codes in it.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:50 PM

Well, hopefully when I get your email...I can get the code and fix the problem. I really don't want to have to get a new tranny....:-(
Old 02-10-2009, 06:54 AM

ok, so I got the code for the #2 solenoid. Now, I have another question....I called Schucks, (a local parts store) and they priced me $215 for it. Do any of you know where I can find a cheaper #2 solenoid....besides the junkyard?????

Thanks...
Old 02-10-2009, 07:32 AM
Contributing Member

Search a340h solenoids on the internet, there a few sites way cheaper than that, I can't remember them right now. The local O'reilley auto part store priced them at 60.00 or a set for around 200.00 give or take, it's been a while. Junk yard is your best bet. Take a ohm meter and test them at the junk yard. In my experience one of the solenoids had a little different bracket where it bolts up, i think it was the lock up solenoid so I would pull the old one and take it with you and make sure you get the right one. My experience was on an 88 4runner though, but still an a340 tranny.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:34 AM
Contributing Member

Here is one place

http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/me...e=A340solenoid
Old 02-10-2009, 07:52 AM

thanks! Also...I heard that the #1 and the #2 are the same solenoid....meaning same part number. Is that true? and.....how will I know which one is the # 2 solenoid when I pull the transmission pan?
Old 02-10-2009, 08:48 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
No.1 and No.2 solenoids are the same. The No.1 and the lock-up solenoid are near the front of the transmission (these two are different), and the No.2 is the furthest one back. The No.4 solenoid is located in the transfer case pan, so you won't see that one when you pull the transmission pan. Spend some time reading the factory service manuals before you get into this.

'95 4Runner manual available here. Most of the manual will apply to your '91 (although the transmission section in that link is for a manual tranny).

'93 pickup manual available here. It has a section for the A340H tranny under "automatic transmission".

Last edited by GSGALLANT; 02-10-2009 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:11 AM
Contributing Member

Here ya go

X2 on reading the service manual and it probably wouldn't hurt to go ahead and replace the filter while your at it.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:48 PM

thanks a lot guys!! this will be a fun project this weekend...I can't wait! Maybe I will get better gas mileage when I replace it?~~~~> Hopefully will not have to floor it to accelerateat a normal speed anymore. lol
Old 02-10-2009, 06:12 PM
Contributing Member

Don't floor it, just manual shift....
Old 02-10-2009, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Shawn6string
Don't floor it, just manual shift....
manual shift does not work when the transmission is cold, so in the morning, I have to either wait ten mintues and slowly accelerate or floor it.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by Aircrwman
manual shift does not work when the transmission is cold, so in the morning, I have to either wait ten mintues and slowly accelerate or floor it.
What? If that's true, you have bigger problems. So what happens when you put the tranny in "L" or "2" when it's cold?
Old 02-11-2009, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by GSGALLANT
What? If that's true, you have bigger problems. So what happens when you put the tranny in "L" or "2" when it's cold?
When the tranny is cold, If I put it in "L"....it won't shift until I put it in drive.....but if I put it in drive (when it's cold) it will sometimes run up to 6,000 RPM's without shifting. I have to bump it to get it to shift.

Once the tranmission is warmed up it begins to shift somewhat normal.

What does that mean when it does not shift (manually) in the cold.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:14 AM
Contributing Member

Will it not go anywhere in low gear even when cold?
Old 02-11-2009, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Aircrwman
When the tranny is cold, If I put it in "L"....it won't shift until I put it in drive.....but if I put it in drive (when it's cold) it will sometimes run up to 6,000 RPM's without shifting. I have to bump it to get it to shift.

Once the tranmission is warmed up it begins to shift somewhat normal.

What does that mean when it does not shift (manually) in the cold.
More details needed... when you say that in "L", it won't shift until you put it in drive, what do you mean? Do you mean that it won't shift into a drive gear at all (i.e. shift into "L", press accelerator, and truck doesn't move... it just revs), or do you mean that the truck will move, but will not shift out of 1st unless you move the transmission lever out of "L" (to either "2" or "D"). The second scenario would be normal.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like the L>2 shift is being held back, likely due to the solenoid, explaining why going L>D lets it shift up, but it goes from L to D/OD bypassing 2, and does not down shift properly.

Things like this are what makes me glad my 91 2wd has the a43d trans- no solenoids.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:35 AM

With the No 2 solenoid malfunctioning, and the tranny lever in "L", the truck will stay in 1st gear... no matter how high the revs are.

With the No 2 solenoid malfunctioning, and the tranny lever in "2", the truck will start in 1st, and stay in 1st gear until the revs and speed are right for it to shift to 3rd gear. (2nd gear will be skipped)

With the No 2 solenoid malfunctioning, and the tranny lever in "D", the truck will start in 1st, and stay in 1st gear until the revs and speed are right for it to shift into O/D. (2nd and 3rd gears will be skipped)

The best thing to do in this case is to start in "2", let the tranny upshift from 1st to 3rd when it decides the time is right, continue accelerating in "2" until you feel it's time to shift into O/D, then select the tranny lever to "D" (the tranny should shift into O/D when you do this as long as you're not going too slow.)

Last edited by GSGALLANT; 02-11-2009 at 02:39 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Shawn6string
Will it not go anywhere in low gear even when cold?
Sorry for the lack of information....Yes, it will drive in all gears, but when it is cold and I manually shift it from L to 2, it will not shift. When I move it from 2 to D...it hesitates and then shifts to 2nd gear.

Like I said, this only happens when it is cold....
Old 02-11-2009, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by GSGALLANT
More details needed... when you say that in "L", it won't shift until you put it in drive, what do you mean? Do you mean that it won't shift into a drive gear at all (i.e. shift into "L", press accelerator, and truck doesn't move... it just revs), or do you mean that the truck will move, but will not shift out of 1st unless you move the transmission lever out of "L" (to either "2" or "D"). The second scenario would be normal.
Yes....to the 2nd scenario, but will not shift until D.

Manually Shifting (when cold)
~L to 2....will not shift into 2nd gear from first gear
~2 to D....It will hesitate and then shift into overdrive...(#2 solenoid problem)

Last edited by Aircrwman; 02-11-2009 at 11:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Automatic Transmission Vacuum lines???