Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Automatic headlight shut off

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 02:16 PM
krj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Automatic headlight shut off

I used to have a Tundra (& numerous Suby's) that had an auto shut off feature for the headlights. Turn off the key and the headlights automatically shut off, start up the rig and they were on. Loved it.
My current '92 pickup does not have this feature. Anyone know of, or have done, a retro-fit, aftermarket switch or other wiring to accomplish this on our generation vehicles?
Old 10-01-2014, 02:53 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Oh Canada!

You're talking about Daytime Running Lights. They were (are) required in Canada, so when our trucks were sold there it came standard. When you buy a truck down South and drive it up the Great White North, you have to retrofit DRLs to license it. Someone on this site had a link to a kit sold by Canadian Tire, but I can't find the link or the kit now.

I drive with my lights on all the time; I think it makes it a lot easier to be seen. So I was thinking of building a kit that would switch on the headlights when the "alt" light went out. But it turns out that true DRLs have a big-ass resistor switched into the circuit to dim the headlights during the day. Huh? Well, I just learned that's a legal requirement! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daytime_running_lamp So a retrofit kit can't just turn on the headlights (like you and I want), but it also has to have something wired into the lamp circuit to dim them. Dang!

Let us know what you find.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:55 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Why do daytime running lights have to be dim??

As I hate them and any vehicle with them they get disconnected.

I see so many people just have them on in the dark. No taillights.

It would be a state by state regulation.At least here.

I also drive with my lights on when the vehicle gets started.

I did have a 85 Celica that turned the head lights off with the key and when you restarted they came back on.

Then they also would go on with the key off as well

To the Op it should be pretty easy to do(at least for me) with the EWD for the 92 pick up.

Just a matter of figuring out having them work in both modes
Old 10-02-2014, 07:34 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Originally Posted by wyoming9
...I see so many people just have them on in the dark. No taillights.

It would be a state by state regulation.At least here.

To the Op it should be pretty easy to do(at least for me) with the EWD for the 92 pick up.
It should be pretty hard to drive in the dark just with DRL; in most systems (including Toyota's) the dash lights don't come on. So you'd be driving without seeing the dash.

It turns out that the regulation side is currently just limited to what manufacturers are required to provide. In the US, nothing is required, but in Canada, they have to be dimmed. So if you get a vehicle (like almost every new vehicle) with DRL, they're not going to make it a special way just for the US. If you want to do it yourself (like I do), I'm not aware of any state that regulates the brightness of DRLs; so wyoming9 and I are safe just turning them on.

Wiring DRLs up yourself is "easy" if you don't care that the lights are on when you're trying to start. Something I'd be leery about in the PA woods. The tricky part is keeping the lights off until the alternator is producing power. I planned on using the "alt" light circuit, and that requires some FETs (or relays) to get right.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:56 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Most times it is at dawn and dusk in either case dark enough to need lights .

I like just turning on the switch it is such a habit

Most times I don`t even know I turn the lights on.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
IIRC the Alt provides a ground for the Alt light until it produces voltage, which then stops current flow through the bulb, so you could set up a relay to trigger from the Alt light wire to run your headlights. Just use the Alt light wire as your relay coil power source. In theory it should work. I might have to play with that sometime.

You could also use a 5 terminal relay to switch off when the Alt light turns off and use the 5th terminal (closed circuit without power) to provide power to your head light circuit. The relay coil would always be on with engine off, so your battery would be dead/very weak after a week without starting.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:06 PM

Received 603 Likes on 441 Posts
My truck does not have the DRL feature, but..
My '95 SR5 4Runner with 4 wheel ABS automaticly shuts the headlights off when you open the drivers door, after turning the engine off, even with the headlight switch turned on.
The owners manual cautions that the headlight switch should be manually turned off if the truck will remain parked for more than 1 week.
I guess there is some small power drain involved with this feature.
The manual says that this feature is exclusive to the ABS equipped trucks and that a buzzer will sound on other trucks as a reminder to turn the lights off.
The headlights automaticly come back on when the truck is started up again.

Last edited by millball; 10-02-2014 at 09:30 PM.