Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Auto Tranny Acting Funny

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 07:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto Tranny Acting Funny

After searching through some of the archives and not finding very similar symptoms, I figured I would see if anyone has gone through what I am.

Yesterday, I was driving down a hilly portion of freeway and found that the tranny decided it didn't want to downshift. When I got off the highway, it was kind of shifting funny. While I was driving back to the office, it was doing the same thing sporatically (sometimes it was normal and downshifted and others it would act a little funny and wouldn't downshift). On the way home, the tranny did fine until it got up to operating temp and then it acted funny again. The same happened on the way to work this morning.

When I say the tranny is acting funny, it seems to be shifting a bit prematurely (kind of rifling through the gears and then not downshifting at cruising speeds). If I come to a stop, it does downshift. If I manually shift the gears it seems to work fine. If I press the O/D off button it seems to work fine (O/D turns off). I don't have any flashing lights (O/D off or AT temp). Tranny is full of fluid and it's still red. I drained and refilled it at Christmas (not the filter...don't ask long story). I read I may need to adjust the kick down cable. Is it just that simple? I'm not convinced that it is but it might be a good start. Any other suggestions?
Old 07-28-2009, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by TOOLMAN
After searching through some of the archives and not finding very similar symptoms, I figured I would see if anyone has gone through what I am.

Yesterday, I was driving down a hilly portion of freeway and found that the tranny decided it didn't want to downshift. When I got off the highway, it was kind of shifting funny. While I was driving back to the office, it was doing the same thing sporatically (sometimes it was normal and downshifted and others it would act a little funny and wouldn't downshift). On the way home, the tranny did fine until it got up to operating temp and then it acted funny again. The same happened on the way to work this morning.

When I say the tranny is acting funny, it seems to be shifting a bit prematurely (kind of rifling through the gears and then not downshifting at cruising speeds). If I come to a stop, it does downshift. If I manually shift the gears it seems to work fine. If I press the O/D off button it seems to work fine (O/D turns off). I don't have any flashing lights (O/D off or AT temp). Tranny is full of fluid and it's still red. I drained and refilled it at Christmas (not the filter...don't ask long story). I read I may need to adjust the kick down cable. Is it just that simple? I'm not convinced that it is but it might be a good start. Any other suggestions?
Could be a throttle cable issue. Quick check - is your throttle body opening all the way at WOT?

I would download the FSM (plenty of links on here for it) and read through the AT troubleshooting section. It is very thorough. You don't want to go guessing with a tranny problem that could get expensive.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Avatar from the Jambi video eh? Nice
Old 07-28-2009, 03:26 PM

Thanks Kiely. I previously downloaded the FSM but I can't get into it on my computer now for some reason. On the way home from work today it did pretty good and was only symptomatic a couple of times.

Al, it's from the 'Sober' video. I'm not sure if that's the same thing your talking about, but thanks!

Anyone else have any input?

I saw a lot of posts that had almost the same symptoms as mine but not many people follow up to let us know what worked and what didn't.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:33 PM

Update: So I double checked my tranny fluid and found out it was about a quart too much. I drained that off. I adjusted my throttle cable. Both throttle and kick down were a little off. Problems still exist. When it gets to operating temperature it will go from first to second and it seems as if it goes directly into lockup because it doesn't have a lot of power. It also seems to shift sooner than normal. There is not the 'shock' and 'slip' the FSM talks about. It still will not downshift either. I still have no tranny codes (exc. for the 41 code I didn't know I had...more work. Go figure.). I think I have it narrowed down to something in the valve body or the lockup solenoid.

I swore to myself a long time ago I would always buy manuals. I thought I was outsmarting myself and bought an auto because it would be better for what I do for a living. At least I can look on the bright side...I'm learning about auto trannys.

Any other help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-26-2010, 11:05 PM

I have been having almost the same problem for about six months and i'm losing my mind trying to figure it out. so if you find a fix please let me know.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:48 PM

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...er+supply+wire

as funny as it may seem,I was having the same type of problem before I changed my power supply wire. after the mod it was much improved and the ECT button actually made a difference...