Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

attention to engnbldr cam 22re owners - timing. i need your help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 08:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
attention to engnbldr cam 22re owners - timing. i need your help.

okay, so im past the break in period for my new engine, and im loving the cam. i can actually cruise at 70 in 5th. on the other hand, i dont like the smell my truck makes after i turn off the engine. its running rich still. and still sucking gas. (i filled up one day, 3 days and 120 miles later im on a quarter of a tank. (rpms kept around 3000-3500 on freeway). i havent checked my timing (my mechanic said he put it at 5 or 6* btdc). but it smells real nasty when i shut it off, and im getting cruddy gas mileage. what is the right timing for the engine with the .268 cam in it? i know its not the stock 5*. is there anything i have to adjust with the afm? i remember someone saying something about having to take the afm meter apart and turn the spring one click or whatever to fix it, but i cant find that thread. i also cant remember if that was for the 22re or the 3vze. maybe the gas mileage is from a failing fuel pump?
oh, and on the way home today the engine started misfiring then smoothing out... same problem i was having back in october, but mysteriously stopped. does this sound like a bad fuel pump?
sorry for the ramble, but any help would be appreciated!!
Old 05-13-2009, 11:12 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Call or email engine builder they have been more than helpful answering my questions
Old 05-14-2009, 05:27 AM

i just cant believe no one that has the cam has said anything. then again it is early in the morning, and i posted it late at night.. hmm
Old 05-14-2009, 05:47 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
I installed the same cam in Jan, or Feb really can't remember now. Anyway I have my timing about 5 and she runs well. I run about 70 on the highway at 3K and my gas is about 17-18 if I did the conversion right. Maybe the timing chain is off a tooth and the timing was adjusted to suite it? As far as the AFM mod, I have not done it and I can't seem to find the thread, I do remember reading it. I'll keep looking but I don't think that's the answer.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:53 AM

Try some of these out. Googled it and came up with a few.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f115...ustment-88380/

http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/7177/toyafmmod.html

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/minutemods/afm/ Some pictures here
Old 05-14-2009, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Ted, of Engnbldr
T
I suggest you have a shop go over it and figure out what is wrong if you can't find it readily. You may have to adjust the AFM but the 268C can't create a situation where that is required, That stick is stock centerlines and only adds lift it is our mellowest design
Some engines do benefit from an increase in baseline timing of one to two degrees, stock I believe is 5° with the computer bypassed, then if the TPS is baselined she will tune herself.
You might have a shop do andexhaust analysis and see what can be done to reset the fuel curve if she is way rich.
I don't believe there is any way to change the ECU though without some type of aftermarket setup.
first off im giving ted a HUGE thumbs up, for responding at 6 in the morning. ill definitely do business with again.
though i have some questions about his advice. how do i tune the tps? what else can i do to reset the fuel curve besides advancing the timing? thats the only way i know how to. thanks!
Old 05-14-2009, 07:05 AM

TPS maybe???

If you take the neg battery terminal off for a while it should reset the ECU...Not sure if this will help you out or not.

Here is some info on how to clean the TPS.
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...34throttle.pdf
Old 05-14-2009, 07:11 AM

Check for engine codes first!
Old 05-14-2009, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by gennro
Check for engine codes first!
Ya good idea check before you clear them...

Here is another thread on the AFM: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...ng-afm-165241/
Old 05-14-2009, 08:05 PM

its not throwing any codes, just blinking as to say 'no problems'. so just disconnect the negative battery terminal and that should reset everything?
OH, and i checked the timing light today at work. my mechanic didnt do a damn thing! timing was set at 12* PTDC!!! no wonder the damn thing was pinging! set it to 6*btdc and set the idle to exactly 1024 rpm (timing light used was a snap on with the digital tach on it). and im noticing a HUGE difference. not as much power, but once it gets above 2000 rpms, the engine really comes to life up until about 3700rpms.
also, did the oil change today (changed it 120 miles after the last one... if my mech didnt set the timing, then how can i be sure he changed the oil?) and used mobil 1 10w30. lets see if this stuff is as good as every1 says. (get it free at my work.. no you cant have any... sorry)
its still running a little rich, but not nearly as bad as before... *scratches head*.

Last edited by ozziesironmanoffroad; 05-14-2009 at 08:09 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
can't wait to put mine in

let me know how your gas mileage goes..
Old 05-14-2009, 10:39 PM

will do
Old 05-22-2009, 08:46 PM

okay, update. my gas mileage has gone up a TAD, but i havent kept up with checking it, i just know i havent had to fill up as often. its still runnin pretty rich though. though not as rich as before, cuz i set the timing myself. tho why it would run richer when it was advanced 15* and not now... i dunno. could i have a bad o2 sensor? the lead tech at work said that couldnt be it, but i wonder. bad gas mileage + rich = o2? bad o2 mixture, thus making the ecu think 'hey gotta richen up' etc. ive never changed the o2 sensor and ive put at least 100,000 miles on it myself. new engine, but same sensors. might as well replace them?
OH, and it started its bucking fits again. it will buck and jerk, like its got a stuck needle valve in the carburetor, but its EFI. last time i tracked it down, it was on cylinder 3, and it disappeared a day later, until today. i know its an electrical problem, i never have a problem until i turn my lights on, then its more prone to do it (but not guarenteed), but thats as far as i got. im starting to think i should have just sold the truck and bought something else, started over. jesus what a PITA lol.
anyone got any ideas on the bucking?
(ex. ill be cruisin at 70, 3000 rpm, engine will buck, rpms will drop to 2000 or below, then suddenly jump back up again. will either do this once or twice, or just keep doing it until it decides to stop. speed, gear, or RPM doesnt matter. it did it at 4500 rpms). help! im almost ripping my hair out!
Old 05-23-2009, 09:32 AM

loose wire?
Old 05-23-2009, 08:52 PM

thats what im thinking.... though this morning when i drove it to work... it didnt do it until i turned on my lights, then when i turned em off i didnt have a problem. so i think somethins gotta be grounding around 2500rpms with the lights on. and ive noticed when i turn the lights on, most of the time the rpms will drop from about 1000 (idle) to about 400, then go back up to 1000. if im moving, it will drop, truck will shudder just a tad, then go back up. so i think thats my problem. ill be damned what it is though..ha.
though anyone have ne ideas on the o2 sensor theory/problem/?
btw: it took me 10 mins to type this, cuz im pretty drunk, but concentrating really hard to type clearly, so if anythin is misspelled, sue me.
Old 05-23-2009, 09:20 PM

check your cap and rotor.. and grounds
Old 05-24-2009, 05:24 AM

cap, rotor, grounds. got it. thanks. will check em at work and update this.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:08 AM

Also check all the connections on the coil. It's really odd that your lights are doing this. I agree with Outsane, All the grounds you can find.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:31 PM

didnt get a chance to today... will do tomorrow. im also gonna check the charging system... should be around 14.4V at idle.. right?
oh, check this out... took this morning while driving. are these RPMs normal for this speed? or low, or high?
Name:  speedo80mph3krpm.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  72.0 KB
Old 05-24-2009, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Id say your speedo might be around 5 mph off. (too high) Id be more concerned with your oil pressure being pegged and your amps being darn close?

Quick Reply: attention to engnbldr cam 22re owners - timing. i need your help.