Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Attempting to kill last waterproofing gremlin (distributor)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Attempting to kill last waterproofing gremlin (distributor)

The biggest problem with putting a snorkel on is finding all of the other waterproofing bugs you have to kill afterwards.

I've gone crazy with dielectric grease, fried one TPS, replaced and sealed the new one, re-located the ECU, sealed the AFM, checked for vac leaks, sealed the distributor, ran extended diff vents, yada yada etc and all that crap...

Yet I still have issues with water somehow getting in to the distributor. I've sealed the 2 vent holes on the base of it, sealed the vent on the top of the cap, sealed the cap to the distributor and ran an extended vent tube up to the firewall. About a month later I'm out wheeling and lose a cylinder. Pull the cap and there's a mark where a small puddle of water sat in the distributor. The contacts were all corroded to the point of one not getting a spark anymore. Cleaned it up and was able to get home. The only thing I can think of is the massive amount of heat and steam in the engine bay during crossings is causing condensation inside the cap to start corroding contacts. This is my idea of fixing it.

4 brass 5/16 id npt fittings, 4' 5/16 fuel line, 1/8 x27 npt tap, 4 hose clamps.

I ran a line from the airbox to where the vent on the top of the cap used to be and another line from the base of the distributor to the firewall. My idea is that just enough dry air will be sucked through the distributor from the cab and into the airbox to prevent condensation or humid air to build up inside the cap. It will also keep it cooler. Hopefully this wasn't for nothing and in a couple months of wheeling and deep water crossings I'll not lose a cylinder again due to corroded contacts. Time will tell...

Here's the pics, pretty self explanatory-

Hard to see but there's an NPT fitting where the vent on the cap used to be.

Last edited by Beaniam; 05-24-2008 at 10:56 AM.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:36 AM

Wow, thats the same problem i had yesterday Wheeling. Got water/Mud in my distributor and the truck wouldn't start. Had someone pull me to catch it in gear, and still wouldn't start. Another driver i was with came over and told me to take the distributor apart, scrap the connections with a screw driver and spray wd40 on the connections and put it back together. He had all the stuff to fix it which was awesome. My truck wouldn't even hold an idle then after the cleaning and wd40, idled and stayed running, no problem. Later on in the day my radiator sprung a leak, and the same guy pulled beside me, Went to his tool box and brought over a Map Gas Burner, some flux, and some really thick solder. Sealed it up and off i went.

I 'll stop back in here cuz i just recently build a Really sweet(Professional looking snorkel)( GAve a low end power gain too) From lowes for $55.00 and realized a snorkel is no good if water is effecting lower electrical and mechanical parts.

I didnt even know about diff breathers until today, so I'm thinking i got some water in my diffs and rear axle. Is their a drain plug on axles and diffs i could drain, then put new gear oil in, Repack grease in rear?

I Am still having starting problems though, Think its the starter or solenoid. Anyway, I was told the starter on Toyota's don't like water/Mud. I thought stuff could;nt get in their once it was bolted up. Am i wrong?

I read that you sealed the AFM and Vac's What are these and where are they on the truck? Thanks, RYan

Last edited by Yotaontherise; 09-21-2009 at 06:09 AM.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:43 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Guys from down under put compressed air to the distributor to keep it pressurized and dry.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:50 AM

Yotaontherise....You going to do a write up on that snorkel???
Old 09-21-2009, 05:53 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Guys from down under put compressed air to the distributor to keep it pressurized and dry.

What? You mean they insert a shrader (spelling?) valve and just put a pound or two of air in there? Christ that's genius!
Old 09-21-2009, 05:57 AM

I Can do that. I was figuring, I'd be a fool to buy one for $250-300 or more, Instead, I'll just make one on the cheap. Looks alot nicer than the prefab ones anyway, I've Had plenty comments on it. My favorite was the lady at the KFC drive threw " So is that for driving in Real Deep Water" Yup, "That's Hot" she said. I'll take a couple Pics and start a write up on it tomorrow.

I'll put it in the Toyota Suv, and truck tech.