Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Anyone running BJS's on a 1st gen 4Runner with 3rd gen rims?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone running BJS's on a 1st gen 4Runner with 3rd gen rims?

Getting ready to go to a 265/75-16, I did the AAL in the rear and it is sitting quite nice now. I want to add the ball joint spacers. But do not want to run into the spacers rubbing on the rim.

The plan is to replace the spring bushings in the rear since they are shot, and replace the shackles since they are rusted. I have some shackles at work that I can use to level the truck back out after the spacers and new upper ball joints are installed. The shackles are 5.5 inch spacing on center, so it should add about 1 inch on the height.

Currently running RS-5000 shocks so I should be good to go on shocks.Right now there is a little bit of rubbing on the inner fender rubber guards at lock with the 265/70-16.

I have been searching and cannot find anything about running them with the 3rd gen rims on a first gen truck. The torsion bars have not been touched, and I do hopefully I do not have to, unless of course I am turning them down leveling the truck. Not trying to do a big lift on this thing, but I think with the new tires another inch would work well.

Here is the rims I am talking about, and the stance on the truck. It has just a slight amount of rake in the rear, but it seems to be normal for most trucks, of course most of the 1st gens I see are sagging in the rear.

Name:  P1020039_zps12e443c2.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  212.4 KB

So anyone have any experience with this?
Old 04-03-2013, 06:41 AM

i have Tacoma 15x7 wheels on my truck with BJ spacers. I had to get 1 inch wheels spacers because they were too close to my upper A arm after the spacers. Hope that helps.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:50 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
i was under the impression that all the toyota wheels had the same general width and backspacing, 4.75" - so technically they should clear everything.

when you install the spacers, they seat inside the lip of the UCA, so if there is going to be rubbing it will be from the UCA itself NOT from the spacer. after install, your camber will be positive until you get an alignment - making the tire even further from the UCA/spacer...so i don't really see how they can possibly rub.

with all this said, i ran bj spacers on my rig (as well as hundreds of other people) with stock wheels and there were no issues, even with 31x10.5 tires. if your wheels are 16", then you should have even more clearance than those running a stock 15" wheel.

perhaps others will chime in on this combination since it's very common.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by highonpottery
i was under the impression that all the toyota wheels had the same general width and backspacing, 4.75" - so technically they should clear everything.

when you install the spacers, they seat inside the lip of the UCA, so if there is going to be rubbing it will be from the UCA itself NOT from the spacer. after install, your camber will be positive until you get an alignment - making the tire even further from the UCA/spacer...so i don't really see how they can possibly rub.

with all this said, i ran bj spacers on my rig (as well as hundreds of other people) with stock wheels and there were no issues, even with 31x10.5 tires. if your wheels are 16", then you should have even more clearance than those running a stock 15" wheel.

perhaps others will chime in on this combination since it's very common.

Well it looks like the clearance is going to be close. It is interesting, there was one thread I found of someone else with 3rd gen rims (15") and BJS's hitting the tire. My main concern is dropping the cash and clearance the arms to find out it will not work. Makes me wonder about the back spacing, since they are suppose to be the same. Why have there been issues with some rims and not others.

I will not run spacers, I have a thing about spacers I will not even go into in this thread.

Hopefully someone will chime in that is running this combo and let me know.

As far as alignment, that is not a problem, benifits of working in the auto industry.

Just trying to get the suspension squared away before I get the new tires.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:00 PM

Well the more I read the more hit or miss it becomes. I think I am going to give them a try just for the hell of it.

If I have to I can use some 1/4 spacers on the front. Since the rims I have now are lug centric, and the mag wheel style lug nut has more than enough thread on them to be safe.