Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Anybody tried unmolded carpet?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 12:47 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Anybody tried unmolded carpet?

So the carpet in my 87' 4Runner is looking pretty bad. I've been considering trying some unmolded carpet like marine or even (GASP) house carpet. From what i've read online mose people don't recommend it since it won't conform nicely to the contours of the body. Given that the floors on our trucks are comparatively flat, i was thinking that if i could find some fairly thin carpet and glue it down to the contours. Anybody try this? I've removed the center console (Fiancee likes to sleep with her head on my leg on long drives) and even if i get expensive replacement molded carpet it will have holes and overlaps where i don't want them. I'd love to see some pictures if anybody has tried it! Thanks guys!
Old 02-24-2013, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't try it. I just installed some molded carpet and the install to get it to look good was rather hard. Even though it was contoured it still took some cutting and spray glue to get everything to lay down right like the original carpet. I couldn't imagine trying to do it with unmolded carpet. Just my opinion of coarse. I got my carpet brand new from a guy on craigslist for $50 so it was a good deal. Online the molded stuff is usally ~$130
Old 02-24-2013, 01:53 PM

My mom and dad Have indoor/outdoor rubber backed rugs for carpet that worked out pretty good in there yotas it s not glue down or nothing
Attached Thumbnails Anybody tried unmolded carpet?-20130224_174741.jpg   Anybody tried unmolded carpet?-20130224_174713.jpg  
Old 02-24-2013, 02:19 PM

That actually doesnt look too bad at all. Anybody else? Or for those that did molded carpet did it come precut with holes in the middle for the shifter and up front for the console bracket?
Old 02-24-2013, 02:35 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Shifter boots will generall come precut, you'll know if it's precut if the ask for the transmission type that would indicate they precut.

Haveing been a carpet layer I've done my fair share of installing household carpet in autos. In most cases the brackets and seat mounts will hold it in place and look normal. In some areas/cases you might get bulge/bent/overlap, with a good trim knife and heatset tape you can remove these.

The biggest issue with household carpet is the backing isn't always upto the expected environment, like water. If you use a good indoor outdoor type this isn't as big of a worry.

Depending on your resourcefulness You can redo you carpet for free using non molded carpet. This is a big plus If you can get it for cheap or free just try it and see what you think, worst case you jusst got some practice for installing the molded stuff and it'll go faster the next time.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:46 PM

Great point CO. My runner gets rained on in the summer fairly often and gets muddy immediately after the rain, so i imagine even molded carpet wouldnt last too long. Guess i'll try it and see!
Old 02-24-2013, 03:52 PM

there's a writeup on here using grey vinyl anti fatigue mat, i'd check it out it looks pretty awesome.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:43 PM

My carpet is wrecked as well. Im looking at bedliner to redo it. Tough, easy to apply and should clean up well. Carpet is kind of a never ending hassle to keep clean if your offroading. But free carpet is available behind carpet stroes in the dumpster fyi.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:07 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Inferno451
So the carpet in my 87' 4Runner is looking pretty bad. I've been considering trying some unmolded carpet ...
First you need to decide, do you want your Runner posh? Utilitarian? Hardcore Off-Roading?.

Mine's a daily-driver, and not for hard-core off-roading (Just take me to trailheads on rough roads) so I did my sound-proofing/carpet re-use/re-install project.

most people don't recommend it since it won't conform nicely to the contours of the body.
Bull.

Given that the floors on our trucks are comparatively flat
Correct! Even the stock carpet on the first-gen 4Runner is flat. the key is deciding what you want that will handle the dirt or absence of dirt you plan on your Runner.

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
... In most cases the brackets and seat mounts will hold it in place and look normal. In some areas/cases you might get bulge/bent/overlap, with a good trim knife and heatset tape you can remove these. The biggest issue with household carpet is the backing isn't always upto the expected environment, like water. If you use a good indoor outdoor type this isn't as big of a worry.
Depending on your resourcefulness You can redo you carpet for free using non molded carpet. This is a big plus If you can get it for cheap or free just try it and see what you think, worst case you jusst got some practice for installing the molded stuff and it'll go faster the next time.
Concur
IF my carpet were trashed, I would have replaced it with Vinyl/Rubber mat. A candidate was the Vinyl Tub Pan Liner (At Home Depot). In fact, I still plan to use it to make a poor-man's custom Husky-er Weathertech for my rear deck.

Originally Posted by motocrossaddict223
there's a writeup on here using grey vinyl anti fatigue mat, i'd check it out it looks pretty awesome.
Redeth, Chefyota4x4 and I have used anti-fatigue mats, and I'm pretty happy with mine. My stock carpet is still in good shape so I re-installed it after washing it in a front-loading washer (beats professional detailing)

Originally Posted by MiikeyLawless
My carpet is wrecked as well. Im looking at bedliner to redo it. Tough, easy to apply and should clean up well. Carpet is kind of a never ending hassle to keep clean if your offroading....
Agree, too.

IF I were a hardcore off-roader, I would:
1) Bedliner for hose-off convenience, then
2) Apply anti-fatigue mats trimmed to facilitate removing and replacing. This will provide heat and sound-proofing for daily-driving.
3) Omit Peel & seal

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 02-25-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Try to use the old carpet as templet to cut the unmolded carpet or if you don not have the old carpet just measure the width and how far you want it to go back then cut it. Once it's cut, measure where the shifter holes are going to be the place it on the floor. Use a spray bottle to wet the carpet so it can sit then you can make the necessary cuts and place some heavy stuff on it so it can dry and mold itself to what you want. I did this to my 87 toyo 4runner in the front and look really nice, do not have pictures yet but I can sen them to you when I take them.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:15 AM

That would be awesome Chaviator, thanks!
Old 02-28-2013, 09:06 AM

The PO put house carpet in my 85 Runner and spray glued it down. It actually works pretty well.