Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Any good fuel adds like tune up in a bottle efi cleaner that kinda stuff

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any good fuel adds like tune up in a bottle efi cleaner that kinda stuff

Any good fuel or oil adds that are good in helping with cleaning the motor out or cleaning the efis out. Just wanted to know if this stuff is safe to put in your truck suv every now an again. Any brands if so.

Thanks littlewhiterunner
Old 03-20-2008, 10:45 PM

Well I work @ napa auto parts and I always suggest either the 3M injector cleaner or the Chevron injector cleaner. I have tried both and they are great!
Old 03-21-2008, 04:25 AM

Search for "seafoam"
Old 03-21-2008, 04:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Berrymans.....best dam injector cleaner for the dollar.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:22 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Seafoam or BG 44K - lots of reports on both here
Old 03-21-2008, 11:35 AM

Seafoam Is All You Need
Old 03-21-2008, 11:52 AM

Another vote for BG44k and Seafoam. I prefer BG products myself but I've also used Seafoam a good dozen times or so. I usually avoid the crap they sell in the gas station.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:54 PM

I like the ones that will work in the gas & oil. None of them are going to give "tune up" type results but when used a couple times a year they seem to help cut down on sludge & carbon build up. I have yet to see injectors that were taken out after having regular treatments done but I always suspected that if the injectors are already clogged they need to be removed & cleaned professionally & the canned solvents can then be used to keep them clean afterwards.

Some people swear by BG & seafoam & other people swear at BG & seafoam. I am in the middle & feel they're just solvents. Nothing miraculous about it at all.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:21 PM
Contributing Member

I've never done anything drastic like seafoam, and I will not put it in my 200,000+mile engine that doesn't smoke or leak. I'm not going to debate why, or why not either....at least not on this thread. I'd consider doing it on a lawn mower, or something first. I'm talking about adding it to the oil, or the intake(vacuum line), not the gas tank.

Every couple weeks, or about every month, I run the Lucas Injector cleaner through a tankful. I tend to notice about 15-25 extra miles per tank, or about a half a MPG difference, sometimes a whole MPG. Throttle response is also better, and it seems to have a little bit easier time starting in the morning. I'd say it's worth the extra couple bucks a month.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:25 PM

Eh, i used to use the 99cent store std stuff for a while. Felt better for a while. If it did nothing, I never wasted more than $10-15 bucks.

I have done seafoam and noticed better throttle responce (only in brake booster and gastank)

Honestly, most people say they aren't worth the hype and I agree.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:44 PM
Contributing Member

I agree with above, and I will note that I usually buy whatever is on sale, and if I can't get it for less than about $4, I don't buy it. I am partial to the Lucas Injector Cleaner for some reason, tho. I can usually get it 2 for $3 at Kragen, or Pep Boys.
Old 03-22-2008, 02:36 AM

Definetly, Im not one of the brave that use SeaFoam in my crank, just in my gas tank, but more power to those that do....
Old 03-22-2008, 05:41 AM
Contributing Member

BG's 44k is good stuff
Old 03-22-2008, 06:09 AM

There has never been a single valid complaint about solvent in the crank for those two or three of you that think it's bad. Seafoam in the oil is no different than the Amsoil cleaner & you don't see people bashing that. You simply have to know how to use it...in other words - don't drive around on it! It's that simple. I add it to my oil a day or two before I change it & run the engine a few minutes to circulate it a couple times then let it sit & soak into the sludge.

Presto, oil changed & there's no damage. No seals leaking. No knocking. No blown head gasket. As far as pouring it into a vacuum line? I've done it once & it just seemed like a waste, all that smoke is just the Seafoam burning off. And even though some will say the math doesn't support hydro-lock; some people using the brake line have shown pictures of bent rods. They might lie, I don't know; but I won't risk locking up an engine or burning out my cat to see since it doesn't do anything but fog the neighborhood with vaporized Seafoam.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:18 AM

Oh really, I always heard that putting seafoam in your brake booster was safer than the PCV valve. I have no idea why, but that's just what I read (yeah, I read that 500 post seafoam thread before I did it lol).

I know there isn't any support but its like this. My truck leaks and burns oil like a horse on its period. Its getting to the point where I am putting a quart every 3 weeks in the case.

This time I did not use Lucas' Oil Stabalizer, and I wish I did. When I added that stuff, no matter how good/ bad people say it was, I was able to go 3 months without noticing any drop in oil level.. To me thats amazing, and that stuff works. I did in fact read the bobistheoilguy.com thread on Lucas and I can agree on what he says. But I still see the results in my truck and heard them on others, and I would rather put it in and have a full tank of oil, than run a quart low half the time...

This summer I am going to get a Ford Taurus filter on my Toyota and then I can fill up with an extra quart (6 quarts now ) of oil. Or maybe a 5 qt. jug, and a qt of Lucas.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:57 AM

Truthfully I have no idea if the PCV is preffered over the brake line. I read that long Seafoam thread too (lol) I wouldn't put it in either vacuum line again personally. You could steam clean the same areas with plain water from a spray bottle & not worry about damage to anything.

I have never used the Lucas oil stabilizer, I know it has a large following; but so did STP & motor honey back in the day. I do use Lucas auto tranny stuff in the old ladys BroncoII transmission because the auto trannys in those things suck & even if it burns it up what's one more dead A4LD when it's all said & done? *shrugs*
Old 03-23-2008, 06:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A bottle of seafoam in the gas tank, 1/4 bottle in the crankcase about 1000 miles before the next oil change, and the rest of that bottle (3/4 bottle) sucked in ever so slightly through a vacuum hose to the manifold.
Seems to help the 'pep' and has surprised the grease monkey tech when they realize I have a 260,000+ mile 22re and the oil is looking like it was just put in.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:11 PM

IMO, seafoam is best used in the crankcase 100 miles before an oil change, every other change, in the tank every few months, in the PCV maybe one per 100k.

For winter I dump in a bottle of heet with every tank. Only costs 2.99 and makes it start easier, reduces water in gas, and prevents carb icing somewhat.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:30 PM

BG44k, my first choice, or Chevron Techron. I have visually inspected parts after using said fuel treatments. I can't say anything good about SeaFoam from personal experience, but other than people say it works good. Whatever that means.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by mr_schuster
BG44k, my first choice, or Chevron Techron. I have visually inspected parts after using said fuel treatments. I can't say anything good about SeaFoam from personal experience, but other than people say it works good. Whatever that means.
It works, it works in the same way that liquid will scrub carbon out of your combustion chambers when you have a HG leak.. The good news is that it's not water and will work with oil.

There really is no tune up in a can and in some cases doing a bunch of intake cleaning make be less than good for the motor.. I know that a few of the plenums I've taken apart were so caked with 20 years of oil based crap, that if went into the motor due to a solvent it'd be bad...

1 qt of oil every 3 weeks isn't bad.. Especially if you're going through 600-1k miles. It's not good oil consumption, but it's not completely shot rings either... The two forged motors I've built, including the current one, go through a quart every 1k or so. Cast piston motors are better on oil...