Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Another "steering noise" thread. Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 07:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another "steering noise" thread. Please help.

Alright, before the flaming starts, i checked the power steering pump, no leaks or whines etc... I checked the ball joints, they look good. I also greased every single grease point on my truck with the manufactures suggested grease. My steering box doesn't leak, or make noises. I've laid underneath and had a friend turn the wheel while listening to every part of the steering linkage with a stethoscope, just to be sure.

I've concluded that my steering noise is coming from the steering shaft inside the cab. It only happens when it cools off outside. Once it warms up, the noise goes away, and conversely, the noise returns as it cools off. Even as I'm driving. The sound is akin to a groaning door hinge out of a horror movie, and it's LOUD. But can almost only be heard from inside the cab. I tried spraying a tiny bit of penetrating oil at the front and back of the sleeve where the steering wheel shaft goes through (at the steering wheel where the lever cluster is, and at the bottom where it comes out of the sleeve by the clutch pedal) that seemed to have quieted it down quite a bit. My question is, are there any bearings or bushings inside this sleeve that anyone has ever had to replace. Has anyone had this problem before, and knows how to fix it? I don't want to pull the steering wheel if I don't have to.

Addition info: 89 DLX toyota pickup. 4x4. 183xxx miles.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've replaced that firewall seal on my '92 pickup. If it is torn/cracked the cabin get very noisy from all the sounds coming from the engine compartment.

It's pretty easy to replace and I think there is a thread on how to do it (search here for firewall seal replacement). The part number I used was 45292-35050, but you should double check that to make sure it works for you.

Cabin noise reduced significantly after I replaced my worn out seal. There are no bearings in the part, it's just rubber.

Not sure if this is what you're after, but hopefully it helps.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:22 AM

Pull the steering wheel and check the contact ring for the horn button. For months a had the strangest noise when turning the wheel. The colder it was, the louder it was. Pulled wheel to file hi/lo beam contacts, and noticed the spring loaded contact had worn itself sharp and was dry. Little special grease, and smoothed the edges of the button with a fingernail file, and no more noise.

Sent from my NSA screened iPhone using YotaTech
Old 11-14-2013, 10:37 AM

Ok, I replaced the firewall seal about a month ago just through general maintenance. It was cracked and I figured why not. Thanks though MacGuyver.

I'll pull the column cover off tonight and check the horn contact. I had given it a cursory look, but I'll inspect it closer tonight. Thanks.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:48 AM

Was like a whiny, growling PS pump noise. Sounded like an old ford pump almost. Other times it kind of sounded like a hinge, I guess.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by combatcarl
Pull the steering wheel and check the contact ring for the horn button. For months a had the strangest noise when turning the wheel. The colder it was, the louder it was. Pulled wheel to file hi/lo beam contacts, and noticed the spring loaded contact had worn itself sharp and was dry. Little special grease, and smoothed the edges of the button with a fingernail file, and no more noise.

I can't thank you enough! That noise was driving me nuts! Turns out it was a similar problem with the horn contact, smoothed out and greased it. It's good to go now!