Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

another "sputtering" thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 05:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
another "sputtering" thread

So here's yet another thread about a truck with that sputtering problem I read so much about.

91 Pickup, 22re, Manual trans, 4wd, just rolled 284k miles on the original motor

Same symptoms as everyone else has, that is; truck wont accelerate when in a gear higher than second unless it's full throttle. If the gas is anywhere less than full throttle, it just doesn't do anything at all; no power what so ever. The idle is randomly perfectly fine, and then out of no where just drops and acts like it's running off 2 cylinders (trying to accelerate from this feels like trying to run over rail-road ties, just bucks and stutters, unless of coarse you put the petal to the floor). Does the NOS acceleration a lot of people speak of; no power until about 3000 RPMs, and them it takes off like a bat out of hell. Usually only does it while the truck's warming up, but randomly happens after warm up sometimes too. Wet weather seems to multiply the effect. It's been pouring raining all f-n day here in Florida, and today I got so fed up with the truck running like it was, I just said screw it and parked it; not to mention that because It's been raining, I haven't got a chance to even pop the hood and look for anything obvious. The last drive I took with her on the way home the check engine light came on twice for about 10 seconds, but it turned back off and is off now, but I need to try to read the codes on it still (once again, haven't done because of the crappy weather).

Here's a list of things I replaced hoping that they would help stop this:
*AFM
*Bosch O2 Sensor
*2 Sets of plugs; one set Delcos, and the current ones are NGKs
*2 sets of plug wires; ones OEM set, now running Accel
*2 caps and rotors
*replaced a few hardened vacuum lines I thought may be leaking
*sea-foamed the tank and intake... ran it threw the tank twice

The thing I did twice I did because I though that maybe one of these were possibly defective; you never know...

My next suspicions are:
A) the fuel filter maybe, but I don't think it would be interment like it is, and it wouldn't be effected by the weather either
B) the TPS; about the only main sensor I haven't replaced or even messed with, but I would like to see if it properly adjusted
C) the coil, although it's not that old of an MSD coil, but once again, you never know
D) god forbid, but possibly the ignition module; over $200 for that one, so if it's the cause, to the junk yard I go
E) a flakey temp sensor, which is fairly cheap and I may replace just because I don't know how old the one is on this truck
F) possibly some vacuum line that I missed

Wouldn't hurt to try to do some quick diagnosis to see if it's fuel or spark related; I can borrow a fuel pressure tester from a buddy of mine, and I can pull off some plug wires next time it starts doing it to see if it worsens it.

But I guess basically what I need to ask is has anyone had any luck fixing this problem? I read about it some much, some one has got to have a cure, or even found something that seemed to help a little bit; I'm seriously losing my mind over this. I'm borrowing my mother's Ranger for the next 2 days till I have a day off and can actually get under the hood, so I'm open to ANY suggestions, because I stumped aside from the simple things I think It could be.

Thanks in advance guys.

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 05-20-2008 at 10:43 AM.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:59 PM
Contributing Member

Old 04-06-2008, 10:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i would take a squirt bottle with soapy water and spray down ur vacuum lines to look for any leaks, mine used to have a jumpy idle cuz of it. could be the same problem.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:51 PM
Contributing Member

Ok, so I left work early today (was only there about an hour actually, lol) so I could come home and work on this thing. I started off just by starting it, letting it warm up, then it started doing it's surging and almost stalling, so I started spraying around with the starter fluid with no results. Flicked the throttle a couple of times, it stuttered for a few more seconds at idle, then the regular idle came back, but only for about 20 seconds, then it started stuttering again and almost stalling. So I though, hmmmmm, maybe the throttle body's a little dirty and in need of some cleaning. I was just gonna pull off the intake hose, give it a couple squirts with some cleaner, wipe down what I could, throw it back together and hope for the best. HAH, I knew something was wrong as soon as I pulled off the hose and took a look inside the plenum. Here, I'll let the pictures speak for themselves...

So yeah, that's 284k miles worth of buildup basically... Managed to get almost everything apart except for getting the lower portion of in manifold off; for some reason I'm having a hard time getting it to break free, but I'm almost 100% sure all the bolts are off, but I'll recheck tomorrow. While it's off, it's getting a new fuel filter, every single vacuum line around it is getting replaced, I'm gonna diagnose the TPS while the throttle body's off, all the temp senors around the intake are being replaced, I'll throw in the new thermostat I've been putting off installing even though I've had it lying around for about 2 months, and replace the little coolant lines running to the throttle body as well, just so I know they wont fail in the future. But tomorrow, the plenum is gonna get a good soaking in parts cleaner while I fight with the lower portion of the intake, then once it's off I'll soak it while I mess with the throttle body and TPS, then throw everything back together and see what happens. I'm not sure if this is the main culprit to my issues, but I damn sure know it isn't helping, lol. I'll keep yall posted on how it works out.

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 04-12-2010 at 08:05 AM.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good job!!!
Old 04-07-2008, 06:03 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by artinge3
good job!!!
lol, I hope so; I'll know when it's clean back together
Old 04-07-2008, 06:12 PM
Contributing Member

Almost forgot to add that the injectors are gonna be pretty and shiny with some new o-rings and gaskets when they go back in too, because the old rings and gaskets on the bottom where solid like ABS plastic, lol. So here's a shot of one that's not cleaned next to one that's all shiny with a new ring and gasket.

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 04-12-2010 at 08:06 AM.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:38 PM

What build-up?
Old 04-08-2008, 06:21 PM
Contributing Member

Well, had to work today, so nothing got done... Tomorrow however, I'm off, and I'm jump'n on it bright and early. Got all my gaskets and parts together today at work, so now all I need to do is come up with something to put the parts cleaner in to soak the plenum and lower intake in, and hopefully it'll be all done tomorrow! Wish me luck, lol.

I can't wait to drive my Yote again... I feel tiny in this lil ol ford, lol.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:04 PM
Contributing Member

Alright! Well, got everything back together today, and MAN WHAT AN IMPROVEMENT! After fighting with the intake for about 30 minutes with no success, I'll call my buddy (who around here we just call "Toyota Guy", lol), and he knew exactly what I had missed... Why in the name of all that is holy did Toyota put that freak'n allen-head bold by the thermostat housing??? I couldn't see it because it was covered in dried up mud, lol. But anyway, after that was pulled off, the intake just about fell off the head, and the rest went smoothly... after feeding the 5 feet of wire with the 3 plugins on it out from under the truck and through the manifold (that's another stupid thing). Here's some finishing shots...

Still a little rough around the edges, but TONS better than it was (couldn't get it spotless; it was getting dark and I needed to be done today)

Lol, here's the pan I had the parts cleaner in to soak the lower intake ,plenum, and throtle body in. The sad part is that's only about half the crap that came out of them; the other half was on my drive way after scrubbing the plenum and manifold out with some wire brushes.

All in all, the removal and cleaning of the intake mad a HUGE noticeable difference. She got the new thermostat, new temp sender for the gauge (I didn't replace the two front temp sensors mainly because their like $30 a pop (but their on my to-do list), the new fuel filter since I was in there and it was literally right there, new vacuum lines, new coolant lines, and full tank of gas and some Lucas fuel cleaner. Scrubbed all the buildup off the cold-start valve, and even can see the little holes for the vacuum ports in the throttle body now which were completely covered before. Still has a bit of a rough idle at first startup, but goes away in about a minute of driving and then idles smoothly. I haven't had the same "no power on acceleration" problem yet again, but the truck just got put back together, and only time will tell. Thoughts and comments appreciated guys!

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 04-12-2010 at 08:07 AM.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
has any body had this problem with the 3.0 engine at all? I think im going to take a look at mine tomorow......
Old 04-13-2008, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
Well, had to work today, so nothing got done... Tomorrow however, I'm off, and I'm jump'n on it bright and early. Got all my gaskets and parts together today at work, so now all I need to do is come up with something to put the parts cleaner in to soak the plenum and lower intake in, and hopefully it'll be all done tomorrow! Wish me luck, lol.

I can't wait to drive my Yote again... I feel tiny in this lil ol ford, lol.
The best and fastest way I have found to clean these out is take it to the car wash and blast them out. On mine I spent 3+ hours at a parts washer and it did nothing. 30 seconds at the car wash and I could eat off them.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:13 PM
Contributing Member

Well it worked really good acutally. It still took quite a bit of scrubbing with the wire brushes I had. I used a big long wire brush to get all the way through the lower intake part and the main plenum right through where the throttle body botls up, and used a steel and brass wire brush on the little parts like the throttle body and all the little edges and holes. Overall I'm pleased with how it cleaned out; all time combined, I probably only spent maybe a hour of scrubbing (after each part soaked for about an hour), but I didn't get everything spotless. If I would have had more time to spend cleaning, I probably could have got it brand new looking inside and out. I got the main things like the throttle body vacuum ports and plenum ports and cold start injecter the most, and my performance, and even my gas mileage had turned this truck into a completely different truck!

Just after 1st startup, everyonce in a while the truck still has a little stutter, but it completely goes away after about 45 seconds of driving. I think a temp sensor or switch is to blame for that. I'm suspecting the little temperature controlled vacuum switch on the front portion of the lower intake is to blame for this; mine looks like it's getting ready to brake in half, and when I was in the process of removing the intake, I broke off the little cap that goes on top of it and keeps the little filter element in it. So I'm going to try to find a new replacement for it, but I may have to go to the stealership for that one.

Also, I drove it in the rain today, and it made no difference in performance; it runs just as good in wet weather as in dry!

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 05-20-2008 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:38 AM

I have a 4 runner, 1990 3.0 V6, with a simular problem, Idles irradically from 800 to 500 rpm, intermittent loss of power, Stutters hard while accelerating or just holding pedal steady. Does not happen all the time but is more frequent. I've replaced the EGR, PCV, Max Air flow, Oxygen senser, vacuum lines, wires, plugs,Distributer cap and rotor, fuel filter, checked idle control, TSP, relays. upgraded to premium fuel, used ISO heet etc.. Cant figure this one out. Any help?
Old 04-02-2011, 09:59 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Alright super, this was about 3 years ago...

Any changes? Has it happened again while driving in wet weather?